Requirement to do night dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi a quick question.

By padi standard, is open water certified divers allow to do night dives? Not based on their individual competency level.

Is it the same for SSI?

I will like to add on to my post. I am freshly certified padi dive master. In my organization, my instructors do not allow ow to do night dives. Nt sure if they lazy to take more divers or adhering the guidelines. I have been flipping thru my instructor manual but nothing recorded or i might have missed out. I need a confirmation so i do not give wrong information to my students
Night diving (can be fun) requires a good flashlight, compass, and navigation knowledge, all of which is taught in the Advanced Class. Advanced certification, regardless of agency, is generally required for night or ocean diving

Night diving (can be fun) requires a good flashlight, compass, and navigation knowledge, all of which is taught in the Advanced Class. Advanced certification, regardless of agency, is generally required for night or ocean diving
It IS fun, 1)good flashlight is nice to have, 2)compass nice to have and 3)nav skills required depending on dive site.

1) While it is nice to have a good light so you can illuminate whatever interests you, I usually turn my light off and just follow my buddy watching bio-luminescence created by his fins.
2) Some places are walls with hard bottom, so wall on one side on way out and wall on the other side on way back.
LOL. Do you mean it would be harder for the scuba police to see you at night, so you can go past the stone slab labeling - "60 ft. OW, thou shalt not pass"
Not what I had in mind, but good point. I knew there was a reason for going all tactical on my equipment. Also, a lot easier if procedure no.1 of this post is executed.

With only our PADI OW certification and a total of 5 post certification dives, my wife and I spent two week in Roatan last May. We accumulated 28 ocean dives (including 3 night dives) while in Roatan. At no point did anyone indicate a certification beyond OW was required. We also routinely dove beyond 60ft with 112ft being our deepest dive. I believe that I am a very safety minded person and at no point felt that we were diving beyond our capabilities.

Last edited:
I don't think there are any requirements for doing a night dive.
A dive light? - and a spare? Each? And 1 more just in case. We have "way more than enough" lights.Dive lights are like computers, you can not have too many.

Best if you can dive the site in daylight first, then you should have a feel for the entry, exit and your route.

A lot of dives on the Scottish west coast are dark below 15m even during the day.

The biggest night dive challenge is kitting up, dekitting and then getting home with all your kit.

"Dive within the limits of your training and experience ".

That's a 'Safe Diving' recommendation, there are no rules from agencies. Divers, however, may be limited by government rules and regulations in their area.

Dive centers (at least ethical ones...) are likely to apply agency recommended 'Safe Diving Practices' when formulating their customer policies . .

As far as I'm aware, an Open Water course provides zero training or knowledge pertinent to night diving.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom