Requirement to do night dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The original poster said (paraphrase) "I got my answer. Thanks" and apparently meant also "Goodbye" in post #5. But that doen't seem to bother anyone :)

Also established
PADI - OW diver is fine (an instructor has verified)
CMAS - one-star (i.e. basic OW) is fine (my contribution)

It seems unlikely that any agency requires special training or advanced certs for a night dive.
A particular business may recommend/require it; conceivably a municipality or country could even require it, but that's a different question.

Obviously some people will think there should be such; they always do. And as always, some will have fairly valid reasons.
But the OP asked about facts, not personal opinions.

BTW no required cert does not mean they necessarily receive no instructions or support. To my experience esp. CMAS and BASC (for just 2 examples, I'm sure there are more) are all about additional instruction and support without the need to pay for or attend organized classes.

I live in a pretty solidly CMAS/PADI environment. Locally we handle it the same way I've seen it handled on liveaboards: we identify and brief first-timers or others who wish for a little support,
provide 2nd (definetely) even 3rd lights to any 1st-timers, and make sure they have immediate access to this backup light. We also provide an more experienced buddy (meaning new buddy teams of 2, not as a 3rd with 2 newbies) if the diver desires, as I've seen liveaboards do too.

Our club and many neighboring clubs make a point of offering night dives in the fall so that year's crop of new divers can gain the experience in a familiar, low-key environment. After a summer of diving the same local sights, it's great news that everything looks different at night.

Last edited:
The original poster said (paraphrase) "I got my answer. Thanks" and apparently meant also "Goodbye" in post #5.

Which normally means they came looking for a specific answer that'd empower them to do so something. Normally something they know they shouldn't do...

And once empowered ... "Goodbye! "

It seems unlikely that any agency requires special training or advanced certs...

Agencies don't require anything. They have ZERO regulatory power over individuals.

Nonetheless, agencies do clearly educate on what they consider to be safe and prudent diving.

The critical factor is whether an individual asked "Can I...? " or "Should I...?"

Which normally means they came looking for a specific answer that'd empower them to do so something. Normally something they know they shouldn't do...

And once empowered ... "Goodbye! "

Happliy this seemed more a case of "Is this guy telling me the truth, or just trying to get my cash"?
It's nice to help out someone who is being blatantly lied to.

Lie is a harsh word.

Dive centers wishing to be affiliated to an agency have to abide by certain standards, rules and regulations . . . as defined in their membership agreement.

With PADI there are listed 'Safe Diving Practices '. Dive shops have to abide by them.

These 'Safe Diving Practices' are the same as OW students sign agreement to on completion of their training, and often, in the paperwork for fun diving.

Is it a PADI 'rule' that you need X certification to do Y diving. . . No. Because PADI don't list every possible permutation and possibility. They merely require dive centers to abide by a Safe Diving code of conduct . . . and, in reasonable interpretation, that includes allowing diving beyond the limits of a customer's training and experience .

Perhaps this is being covered by the catch all. An diver will not do dives they have not been trained for. Night diving is not equal or better than the conditions they were certified in for the OW. Without taking a specific limited visibility/night course those dives by training design are "EXPERIENCED" in AOW. Just my thoughts. If the group has a number of professionals they may not want to be attached to divers violating recommended limitations.

With only our PADI OW certification and a total of 5 post certification dives, my wife and I spent two week in Roatan last May. We accumulated 28 ocean dives (including 3 night dives) while in Roatan. At no point did anyone indicate a certification beyond OW was required. We also routinely dove beyond 60ft with 112ft being our deepest dive. I believe that I am a very safety minded person and at no point felt that we were diving beyond our capabilities.

Most likely all they cared about was that you signed the waiver that relieved them of liability. The waiver most likely contained a portion that you agreed not to engage in diving activities beyond your training and experience. With out signing that you would not have dove. so yes they did scrutinize your training.

BSAC Safe Diving states
Night diving
Night diving, especially in tidal waters, requires very careful planning. Each diver should have a working torch otherwise the dive should be terminated. Each diver should carry a backup torch or some other means of identifying their position if their main torch fails. An efficient system of marking the point of exit must be employed. Care must be taken with diver to diver signals to ensure that the torch is not shone directly into the diver’s eyes.

Night diving is covered in:

Ocean Diver theory lesson OT7:
NIGHT DIVING
It may seem strange to consider diving at night when it is dark both above and below the surface Attractions
● On land, there is a change over between day and night animals when the sun sets, and so it happens in the sea with marine life
● Using a torch on a night dive focuses the diver's attention to what they can see within the torch beam
● Underwater colours are enhanced Potential Risks
● Separation - reduced area of illumination
● Disorientation - vision and therefore reference points reduced

NIGHT DIVING PRECAUTIONS
Torch and backup light
While a torch is required for illumination, a backup light should be carried by anyone diving at night in case of main torch failure. If backup has to be utilised, abort the dive.
Signals using torches (this can be demonstrated to students)
● Shine beam on hand to illuminate signals
● Avoid shining torch directly at buddy - they will lose their 'night vision'
● Emergency signal - rapid movement of the torch beam from side to side Surface lights
● To mark divers on the surface. So that surface cover can see them divers can attach light sticks to themselves or their equipment

Dive Leader theory lesson DT01:
NIGHT DIVING
Attractions
● Seeing different marine life that comes out during the hours of darkness
● Having more focused attention on what the torch beam reveals can often change divers' perceptions of a site dived during the day - particularly the colours of marine life
Risk Assessment
● Separation from buddy or surface cover The greatest risk, because of the absence of natural light, is separation from the buddy or the surface cover caused by light failure
● Disorientation compared to daylight diving, general awareness of underwater surroundings becomes very limited during night diving and this can cause a sense of
disorientation for some divers

NIGHT DIVING - SAFEGUARDS
Dive Site
● A night dive on a known site can help divers with orientation and adds a good comfort factor for those who may be initially nervous
● For reducing task loading of both divers and the surface cover, the site should be sheltered and calm with easy entry and exit access
● Diving deep at night compounds the potential problem of narcosis. As the best marine life is in shallow waters, deep diving is not necessary for enjoyable night dives
● The underwater visibility should be good. Suspended particles in the water will reduce visibility by reflecting the torch light back towards the diver.
Equipment
● As communication between divers, and between divers and surface cover, is severely restricted by darkness, each diver should carry a torch and a backup light. Many divers also use a chemical light stick attached to their cylinder so, that if torches fail, they can still be located by their buddy underwater, or on the surface
● For the surface cover to be able to monitor the divers, a small torch or chemical light stick attached to an SMB illuminates the divers' position at all times
● The surface cover should have a good light to illuminate their position for divers to return to when they have surfaced after the dive

Yes, "lie" was an inappropriate word choice. The OP never said he was told that PADI had such a requirement, but he had been led to suspect it and wanted to know the factual answer in case a student should ask.
The 1st fact check came from Post # 7 by John Adsit, Boulder, Colorado, PADI MSDT:
There is no rule from PADI on this at all. In fact, PADI does not have the authority to make such a rule if they wanted to.

DevonDiver's point about safe diving meaning that students are taught and customers are required to not dive beyond their abilities is entirely correct. Also that both groups need to note that what is beyond their experience should be approached as possibly beyond their abilities. I let myself be overly annoyed at a tendency to equate a need for support and additional information with the need for an organized class.

Night diving is usally a pretty tame step in a new direction, esp. if the diver is given the opportunity to make his first night dive(s) in otherwise familiar conditions. Someday it may be at a reef in the open ocean, from a boat, with a some current and near shipping lanes; that would be a really nice time to have the night aspect already be old hat.

You are good to go night diving with any OW cert. It is reccomended you take the night specialty course. I just went with buddies that showed me the ropes. It is now the majority of my dives.

I don't think that is the issue. The issue as I see it is,,, Will instructors in a non training environment take non night diving certified ow's on a night dive. Professional standards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom