Rescue course ( PADI ) in SM ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bax737

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hey all
Quick question-> has anyone completed a rescue course in SM rig ?

-any pitfalls , problems , positives ?

Course coming up this weekend and have been asked if SM is ok - so just trying to be prepared for anomalies

Getting one's gear off while continuing rescue breaths every five seconds is going to be a challenge for the rescuer in SM. Same problem if the victim is in SM.

Haven't done it but having SM on the victim seems it could be cumbersome.

In a pool session after a equipment review if they are not familiar with SM. I'll kit up in and have students rescue me as though I'm unresponsive on the bottom.
Depending on the location a diver may be at, there is a good chance they may run into a SM, BM or even CCR diver. Why not give them some idea of how to attempt a rescue with other configurations besides single cylinder? While in Bonaire last month there were a number of SM divers at the sites we visited.
There are a number of SM configurations out there, mainly talking cylinder mounting options. It's helpful to cover some of those in a academics session.

I think some above are thinking about taking apart the rig, which could be a pain, but why would you detach each tank, remove bungies, etc? Just remove it all in one piece, just like back mount.

I can imagine running into some things trying to swim backwards in SM while towing a victim, but doesn't seem like it would be that much of a mess to worry about.

I agree with the statements above. The only challenge is giving rescue breaths, whilst doffing kit. As long as the wearer can do thus it's fine. We did our course in BP/W which others on the course hang been exposed to before, after a quick demo all was fine. As long as the students not wearing the kit know how to remove it from the victim (remove the cylinders an harness as one unit) all should be fine.... And good experience too

I'll be co-teaching my next rescue class in sm in the open water, in one of those aqualung i3 BCD 's in the pool (i.e. no LPI hose).

And yes, I want it to be difficult and get my students to think.

Removing cylinders is pretty easy, depending bungee methods. Loop bungee takes a second to disconnect. Hoses aren't an issue. Boltsnaps are straightforward.

Leaving the harness in place keeps the victim buoyant and stable at the surface whilst towing. It gives convenient handholds - which become especially valuable when extracting the victim from the water.

On many systems you can begin CCR with the harness in place. But it's easier also to remove once on the boat or shore.

I see no real need to remove a sidemount BCD in-water, only the cylinders. With backmount... you have to remove the whole rig because ditching a cylinder is virtually impossible during rescue breathing and rapid-tow.

Why remove the buoyancy and grip/lifting points when there's no reason to do so?

Removing cylinders is pretty easy, depending bungee methods. Loop bungee takes a second to disconnect. Hoses aren't an issue. Boltsnaps are straightforward.

Leaving the harness in place keeps the victim buoyant and stable at the surface whilst towing. It gives convenient handholds - which become especially valuable when extracting the victim from the water.

On many systems you can begin CCR with the harness in place. But it's easier also to remove once on the boat or shore.

I see no real need to remove a sidemount BCD in-water, only the cylinders. With backmount... you have to remove the whole rig because ditching a cylinder is virtually impossible during rescue breathing and rapid-tow.

Why remove the buoyancy and grip/lifting points when there's no reason to do so?
And what do you do with the cylinder(s) and attached reg(s) if you remove them from the victim? Sure, in training you hand them to an assistant, one hopes.

And what do you do with the cylinder(s) and attached reg(s) if you remove them from the victim? Sure, in training you hand them to an assistant, one hopes.
I've always believed that the moment I enter the water ALL equipment becomes expendable. Too many people have gotten hurt because of reluctance to ditch an expensive bit of kit.

If you need to rescue me, by all means drop my gear, cut my suit to ribbons etc if you need to to save my life. I'll let the DAN insurance pick up the tab

That being said I've recovered a fair number of cylinders and other bits over the years, more often than not you will be able to get the tanks back (in my neck of the woods anyway)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom