Retirement plan to support my "habit"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Recovering from a serious illness 5 years ago had me reprioritize life. While I have my health restored I've cut back significantly on expenses. Saving towards retirement and diving as frequently as possible. Determining what the luxury things I want in my life and what I will sacrifice. Being content with not having some other things people consider necessities.

Not sure how this applies to others, but I'm enjoying the shift in my own life.

Regards,
Cameron

Ever since I got divorced about 8 years ago I am constantly trying to figure out how to eliminate yet another bill. I now have very few.

I have heard many people comment that when they make the change they fell like they have more freedom with fewer material possessions. I probably won't ever make it back to Bohemian because my girlfriend is way too Yuppie. Somewhere inbetween....

I'm in the retired phase. My wife and I are Dave Ramsey fans. In case you are unaware, he advocates "Live today (pre-retirement) like no one else, so (later) you can live like no one else." What he means is that you go through a series of steps to get COMPLETELY out of debt. That way every cent you earn is yours to save, spend, and donate. Having zero debt is a very good feeling. All of our retirement savings, pensions, and social security income is ours to spend on "Luxury" items like travel, diving, gardening, amateur radio, etc. There's not enough for everything so we still have to make choices. The key is to become debt-free while you still have an income..

Good luck -

Sell cocaine....I heard it’s making a comeback.

I am thinking the same thing. If it's ramen people are surviving on, that's unfortunate. Ramen does not agree with me. :confused:

That crap is full of MSG. Before I'd ever even heard that it was bad for you I quit eating Top Ramen and Cup of Noodles and such because I felt terrible afterward. Around here the Asian restaurants proudly display signs saying "No MSG."

We had a very nice timeshare on Grand Cayman from 1996-2004 and Ivan. Long story, but we easily got our investment out of it. I spent a decade figuring out where I might want to live in Florida. In 2011, fortunately at the low in the market, we bought a modest townhouse in Hypoluxo, just north of Boynton Beach. Now, I do all my local diving in Boynton Beach, West Palm, and Jupiter. It is relatively inexpensive for me to get down to Florida from Philadelphia to an extremely easy airport, Palm Beach International. I'm extremely happy about how it turned out for me. My wife and I, or me alone, still take several additional dive trips per year. Last year it was Cocos, Roatan, Cayman Brac, and Bonaire. This year, Galapagos and Bonaire are already on the schedule. I'm a lucky man and have a wonderful wife.:)

Gotta stop and smell the roses while you can still bend over to reach them...

So it is.
20180221_185359-01.jpeg

(Read and agreed with this view, unthinkable a few years ago)

Post dive

20180221_191018-01.jpeg

20180221_192523.jpg

Last edited:
Retirement planning is both pretty straightforward and complex at the same time. My wife and I have backgrounds in finance, so I guess it is something we thought about for years before we both retired a few years ago (she several years before me). The simple part is that your cash inflow (income and whatever principal you can afford to spend) has to equal your outflow (expenses) - and you can come at it from either side.

So you might determine what you think you would need to spend each year for everything, including diving trips - and then compute how much savings/investment you would need to generate that cash. You, of course, probably want to minimize the cash needed, and there are lots of ways to do this (the complex part). If diving is really a big deal for you, then you really might want to look into moving to somewhere where the living is easy, cheap, and dive-friendly. My sister retired to "old" Florida, where the cost of living is pretty low (at least relative to New England, where I'm from). She and her husband do lots of shore diving in the Florida springs (just the cost of air) and the occasional boat dive off the east coast, where they occasionally get a reduced rate deal for locals with the dive op where they got certified.

The other approach is to estimate how much financial resources you think you will have on retirement, plus any payouts from a retirement plan or social security (or whatever the equivalent is). That's what you have to work with, and you need to make your budget fit that. Also remember that you can eat into your savings a little if you have to. The ideal is to have enough funds that you can live off the interest/dividends plus what you get from social security, and never have to use any principal. But then you will never get the pleasure of spending that principal. The rule of thumb is you can spend 3-4% of your total savings plus income each year. Better than rule of thumb is to create a spreadsheet that has for each month (each row) a column for current savings balance, expected misc income, total available (the sum of the first two), expected interest earned on that money,if invested (expected interest rate times the total available ), other income, then add all the income (interest, soc security, other misc) to the beginning balance and subtract expected expenses to get an ending balance. This becomes the beginning balance for the next month (row). create enough rows to cover you from now to when you reach, say, 100 years old. Now you can play around and see how long your funds will last based on various estimates of income, expense, and interest rates. Oh, and if you want to get fancy, estimate a monthly inflation rate and multiply each monthly expense by that to get the expected inflated rate of spending over time. (I said it could get complex).

Depending on the gap between what you think you will need and what you think you will have, and how many years before you retire, you can come up with a maximal savings/earnings plan for the next few years.

I know some people say spend and enjoy now while you can, but I'm of the balanced school which says enjoy life now but life does not stop when you retire, so you will want some financial ability to keep active and alive, at least for a while.

As I posted in another thread on purchasing island property, we were able to find a property on a nice Caribbean Island that we use for several (winter) month per year plus a few additional 2-week trips, and this is where I do all of my diving. We rent the place when we are not there, and so far the rent has covered 100% of our costs each year, and the appreciation has matched what we would have realized by investing the money in the financial markets instead. So essentially a free property. And I get a local resident rate at a few of the dive ops here (only $30 to $60 per 2-tank boat dive), which is something I have seen at other locales as well. And by being here long term I have met several folks to go shore diving with. So those are benefits as far as keeping diving costs down.

Good luck @Dogbowl !!

Last edited:
I dive locally. All I want to dive is in my backyard or within a day's drive (or a bit more) - Great Lakes wrecks. I can be to the Lake Michigan boat in a bit more than an hour. Why should I pay $$ to fly and go dive elsewhere?

Back
Top Bottom