Retirement plan to support my "habit"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for how other people seem to manage multiple luxury dive trips per year in their retirement, I try to follow my wife's frequent reminders to not pay attention to what other people are doing--as hard as that may be on SB, etc. Some retired people probably had long careers, got into diving late in life, and have traditional pensions to rely on. Others may have sold a house they lived in for decades in Silicon Valley--like winning the lottery. The rest of us will have to do the best we can in retirement.

We are off to Hawai'i in April and will be looking at houses on the Big Island and checking out the shore diving--it's supposedly very good and we can buy a little 2 bedroom house on an acre for $80K or less. The problem is that the prices keep coming down and it looks like everything is for sale so we need to find out why. Another option we are considering is renting an apartment on Cozumel. Not a lot of shore diving there but the rent is cheap :) Of course Cozumel is a long, long way from Hawai'i and vice versa so some sacrifices may have to be made. But then, Indonesia is closer to Hawai'i.

Last edited:
As for how other people seem to manage multiple luxury dive trips per year in their retirement, I try to follow my wife's frequent reminders to not pay attention to what other people are doing--as hard as that may be on SB, etc. Some retired people probably had long careers, got into diving late in life, and have traditional pensions to rely on. Others may have sold a house they lived in for decades in Silicon Valley--like winning the lottery. The rest of us will have to do the best we can in retirement.

"The rest of us..." hahaha, yup, I'm definitely in that group!

I'm still going to invest gamble in the weekly lotteries. It gives me "a new hope" every week. :D

It’s hard to BUY land in Hawaii. It’s mostly leaseholds. And when it expires you need to get off their land. They are typically 99 years initially, but find out how much is left on the term.

We are off to Hawai'i in April and will be looking at houses on the Big Island and checking out the shore diving--it's supposedly very good and we can buy a little 2 bedroom house on an acre for $80K or less. The problem is that the prices keep coming down and it looks like everything is for sale so we need to find out why. Another option we are considering is renting an apartment on Cozumel. Not a lot of shore diving there but the rent is cheap :) Of course Cozumel is a long, long way from Hawai'i and vice versa to some sacrifices may have to be made. But then, Indonesia is closer to Hawai'i.

I'd love to retire in Hawaii.

It’s hard to BUY land in Hawaii. It’s mostly leaseholds. And when it expires you need to get off their land. They are typically 99 years initially, but find out how much is left on the term.

Yes, there is "Leasehold" and "Fee Simple." With Fee Simple you own the land. With Leasehold you have to pay, and pay, and pay...

There are lots or properties on the Big Island that are Fee Simple. But there is also a very active volcano so you need to pay attention to the Lava Zone Chart and the current conditions. There must be some other factors too or houses wouldn't be so cheap. If you want to move to Maui or Kauai that's gonna cost a bit more.

Recovering from a serious illness 5 years ago had me reprioritize life. While I have my health restored I've cut back significantly on expenses. Saving towards retirement and diving as frequently as possible. Determining what the luxury things I want in my life and what I will sacrifice. Being content with not having some other things people consider necessities.

Not sure how this applies to others, but I'm enjoying the shift in my own life.

Regards,
Cameron

Before reading the posts, I had an idea based on your financial situation--I then found several others had similar thoughts. Consider not just moving close to warm diving (like Florida), but to countries where the cost of living is way lower than US/Canada. Maybe someday Turks & Caicos will become the 11th province--there has been talk of that, but I'm not holding my breath. And that place may not be so cheap to live anyway.

Great topic @Dogbowl ! I wonder how they do it also...trip after trip after trip!! Are they eating top ramen in between dive vacations?
I'm in the same sort of fix, and am playing catch up. When I started seriously thinking about retirement I was not diving. So things have changed. A friend suggested I not dive so much now so I can save money for diving later. UMMM NO! Tomorrow is not guaranteed. I dive as much as I can now, since I can.

Wise words! Planning for the future is important, but living to the maximum in the present is not replaceable. I put off learning to snow ski in favor of other priorities at the time, and now that snow skiing is not possible anymore, I just say "Damn, I should have done that when I could have."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom