Review: DRIS 28lb BP/W System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Cooper River is an interesting place, but by far not the most lucrative.

The Cooper is what the Charleston Harbor becomes as you move inland. I would say it was the "major tributary to the Charleston Harbor," but that implies that the Charleston Harbor is the mouth of a river intersecting the sea... And that's true, but not entirely. Most of the Charleston Harbor is more like a big saltwater puddle than a flowing river... Albeit with a huge, twice-daily tide. As you move up the Cooper, there is a little bit of freshwater flow from Lake Moultrie, but the water doesn't become officially "brackish" for many miles up the Cooper... And doesn't become officially "freshwater" until you hit the lake itself.

...But the Cooper River is world-renowned for meg teeth. The reason isn't because this is the area of largest concentration - the reason is because Charleston is SC's densest-populated area in the Lowcountry, and there are several dive shops and dive charters available that have marketed the meg tooth hunting opportunity as motivation to dive. That is, the Cooper is world-renowned because there's people there.

The best tooth-hunting grounds are south of the Cooper in the more remote parts of our area.

Charleston is SC's oldest city, and the second oldest in the country... So by default, that implies that European artifacts are going to be most plentiful there. However, Beaufort - south of Charleston - has been inhabited by Europeans longer than Charleston - it's just that it changed nationalities (first Spanish, then French, then Portuguese, then Spanish again, then Dutch, then British) several times and therefore can not be considered the "oldest city" like St. Augustine and Charleston, currently considered as #1 and #2 oldest in the country. The truth is, however, that Beaufort and nearby Port Royal, south of Charleston, saw European history prior to either of these.

The point is that, with all of Charleston's claim to artifacts and fossils and European history, it is not the most valued area. The most valued area really stretches from Hilton Head to Charleston, focusing around the modern islands of Parris Island, St. Helena, and the tiny town of Green Pond.

Additionally, us locals consider Charleston to be relatively "picked over" and commercialized and touristy. Our favored and most lucrative sites are not the popular Cooper River, but more out-of-the-way areas that are much richer in terms of archaeology and anthropology.

The only way to get there, as far as I know, is to join a rare dive club and make friends with the locals and hope that someone will take you out on their boat and take you diving. :)

Lol... No way! I've seen much worse than this... Not even close. :)

Looking forward to introducing you to bp/wings in this unique area, Seal. C'mon over and bring whatever dive gear you've got. :)

The DRIS system looks to me like an incredible value. I'm sure you'll want one once you're introduced to a bp/wing.

Lol...I didn't mean to get this off topic but still a lot of good information in this thread and not just on bp/w :D. And that sounds good i'll probably give you a text today and i'll try to get on over with my basic gear. And the system is very tempting and is on the top of my list, can't wait to see some in person.

Are the DRIS BP/W discussed here still on sale for $299.00? That's the wing I was asking about today. The whole setup would be great!

As Drx6 said they are $360, but if you pm dive right in scuba on here, he may or may not be willing to lower the price for you to $299. Doesnt hurt to try. Thats what I did, and heard of few other ones doing same and getting that price. Good luck :)

Are the DRIS BP/W discussed here still on sale for $299.00? That's the wing I was asking about today. The whole setup would be great!

Forgot to mention, for anyone who found my review helpful or ordered this after reading my review please put down my email address in the referral box so I can get the value points! My email address is sikanderk88@gmail.com. Thanks!

Hi all.

I just received my DRIS dive package and i'm having a bit of problem fixing up the harness etc. I was wondering if anyone here would happen to know is there are any specific guides for the DRIS package.

So far i've been following the scubatoys youtube video on how to do a webbing. However, i have no idea on what to do for the numerous 1cm rubber bands that came along with the package. Are they for anti-chafind material to be placed at where the webbings bend in the BP. There's also a round inelastic rubber band that came along with the package. Would be great if someone could explain to me what the rubber bands are for.

Thanks in advance!

The 1 cm bands are for holding backup lights like Hesers, Photon Torpedoes, and Haclyon Scout lights. Add two to four of them underneath each of the shoulder D-rings. When you clip off one of these types of lights, you'll use the rubber band to hold down the light head (tail end is clipped to the D-ring). This makes for a very streamlined rig. Also add two of them to your waist strap, on your LEFT side, between the left waist D-ring and the buckle. One will be used to secure the excess webbing BEHIND the waist strap that comes off of the buckle. The other will be used to secure the RIGHT strap when you're wearing the rig. Many people only use one to secure both, but put two on there so that you don't have to.

The round inelastic band should be added on with the left shoulder D-ring - both secured with the left D-ring's tri-glide - to secure your power inflator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom