Roatan Best Diving/Best Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never used to think AI diving was for us. For many years we looked for the cheapest hotels and eating out each meal, doing everything ala carte. Then we did a liveaboard and suddenly, doing 4-5 dives per day was easy! Since then we have done CCV in Roatan (LOVED it) and we are doing SCC in Cozumel for the same reason. We want to dive and take off our gear and sit down at a table to eat, then gear up again and back in water. It is a choice. We can afford it so we do it. It isn't for everyone, but it is for us.

robin:D

I don't think R-mans oppinion is misleading. Although I might add a subtlety to it. If you want a dive vacation with 4+ dives a day, and want it to be economical, the AI way is the way to go! Sure you can organise 4-5 dives a day in smaller dive ops in places like west end. But usually, it's isn't as practical or economical as places like Cocoview or FI! Most operators are usually 3 dives a day plus a night dive once (or sometimes twice) a week. This, over 6 days, is a maximum of 20 dives. Compared to 26-30 if in an all inclusive with unlimited shore diving (depending if you do 4 or five dives a day plus 2 night dives). Doing as many dives with an independant dive op, is rarely as cheap or easy as at the AIs mentioned (you litterally eat, walk 1 minute to your gear locker and plop in when you want). Especially when you factor in cost of food, rooms, etc... In this context, I think R-man is correct with his oppinions about having a dive vacation...:cool2: I'm sure you can arrange as many dives, but it will be more costly and finding an operator that will bring you on a night dive each night will be hard to find. Now if 3 dives a day is enough for you, that's a different story! But for many, that's not considered a TON of diving!!!:rofl3::D

This said, I think the important thing is as R-man said (or implied): one way of doing it is not better than another! They are different and both options are there for your convenience! All you need to do is be realistic with what you want and choose what suits you best!

And even if you want to do 30 dives in a week in west end, and are prepared to pay for it and find a an operator that will do it for you, fine! But you'll probably be paying considerably more than if you had chosen CCW or FI. If that's not a problem, that's great!:coffee:

Threre really is no debate here! Even though it's been going on forever... :shakehead: It's several different options that will suit different people! Know what's out there and choose what you prefer! It's all good! No right... No wrong... Just what's right for you... or Wrong for you...:popcorn:

But the fact remains, for the amount of diving you can do as well as the ease, the AIs remain hard to beat!!!:coffee:

Just my 0.02$:coffee:

Will, I think I know how you feel. The internet is full of unsubstantiated opinions. For that matter, what happens to be best varies from person to person. There is definitely a lot of knee jerk bad advice in this world. Stay healthy, because you are going to be seeing me again soon.

Sorry guys, I didn't realize any opionion other than your own was not allowed...
I guess I missed the point of having the Scuba Board and the forums.

Just wondering how many of the different Dive operators YOU dived with and how many dives YOU did with each in arriving at your opinion that Cocoview tops the list? Sorry to ask but so many people on forums make statements about who's best without even trying the rest!

Regards

Will

Sorry guys, I didn't realize any opionion other than your own was not allowed...

If you want a dive vacation with 4+ dives a day, and want it to be economical, the AI way is the way to go! Sure you can organise 4-5 dives a day in smaller dive ops in places like west end. But usually, it's isn't as practical or economical

BayIslandDiver (Will) & I tinkered with the math a number of months ago on a different thread. I compared an average of three different day-dive ops versus the mid priced AI, the one I know best, CoCoView.

The way it came out, in pure dollars and cents, was anything more than 2.2 dives per day and you were better of financially at the AI. I absolutely understand, this doesn't take into account the ambiance factor. But~ I am talking about a dive trip, not a vacation with some diving.

At FIBR and CoCoView, there is another hard to subjectively analyze and attribute in accounting form: the 24/7 shore dive, read: Night Dive. Three other places on Roatan claim such a dives, as well.

You're heading that way, yes. Adult conversation is sometime prone to giving newish posters the stink eye. That wasn't much of a bash, get over it. Hop on over to rec.scuba and go a few rounds over there.

Roatan is a very odd place. People that are going to the island for the same week always say, "I'll see you there!" With very few exceptions, that will never happen. Roatan is a place where you can be 1/2 mile away and be in a totally different environment. CoCoView is a dive resort like no other on Roatan, few others in the world. (see http://www.atlantishotel.com/puertogalera/index.php)

The seven blind men describe the elephant. Remember that one? I use it all the time to describe Roatan. Diving on one side is vastly different from the other, the weather is 180° different, West End is nothing like the rest of the place. It is a small island of a thousand differences.

Having stayed at one place and dove with them and giving a ringing praise is pleasant, but unless you have and possibly demonstrate a basis for comparison, it rings hollow. Fill out your SB profile, some folks actually look at it to establish credibility of opinion.

This doesn't mean you have to be studied on all the options on Roatan, but if you could compare the operation to one or more others that you have sampled while diving, so much the better.

Here's what I know about AI versus Ala Carte...

I travel to many places that use what many call the European model of a dive day. So here we are at an AI resort. They run one 1 tank boat dive at 0900, 1200 and 1500 hrs. Between the dives, they return so that a large majority of the divers can get off and go sunbathing or take lunch. rarely does anyone do all three on any given day.

We do.

Here's how it worked in Tobago: Between each dive, we would drink huge amounts of fluid and eat snack bars. My wife did her log and laid out in the sun. I fussed with bits of dive gear. No time for lunch, not at any typical leisurely island pace- not if you wanted to make all three dives. At the end of the day, we were pretty tuckered out, all of this on-and-off stuff. We would drive into town for a quick bite and meet up with our guy who would take us out for a night dive at 2000 hrs. Then sleep, go to breakfast early enough to make the 0900 boat dive. Repeat.

Or the Philippines: 0900, 1200, 1500, 1800. Still at an AI, and they knew we were Americans and wanted to dive. They switched from their "made to order" food offerings, which were simply superb and elegant, and placed a small buffet (of good stuff!) just for us 4 a day nutbags.

In the Maldives on a Euro Liveaboard: They were used to providing 2 a day and 1 night dive on any given week. Surprise! They did the best they could to keep us diving. I was there on what they thought was a travel agents "familiarization" trip, but in fact it was seven Nitrogen junkies from the dive industry press.

These patterns are caused by a number of factors, first and foremost- the way diving evolved. People just didn't want more than 2 in a day because that's all they could stand (think dive tables). then they wanted variety- so the operators added a third boat, allowing them to sleep late, or maybe have lunch instead.

It is also an issue of boat capacity (number of boats on hand, too) and number of reserve tanks available. Not everyone can put 14 people on (one of their several) boats (over-designed for a theoretical max of 32) and place 56 full tanks on board for an all day trip. Some can.

It all goes back to what one wants, and it's okay to only want two a day, maybe three, somedays only one or maybe not at all. BUT- you have to claim that out loud.

I can speak best to the stinky wetsuited crowd, the ones that quite literally will come to eat in their dive skins and nobody bats an eye. I want food promptly, I want as much diving as the environment will allow, I want a night dive every night. I want nothing to do with beach tiki bars, dance scene party music, waiting for service at cute island restaurants. I want good dive gear storage areas, a gear service operation is handy, airport transfers that are aces, a super secure environment, management staff that handles everything. On Roatan, at least, I get that at CoCoview. If I wanted the after-hours stuff, you bet I would be at West End in a guest house, no doubt.

But I also understand that some folks want a party at night, versus just nightlife (on the reef).

I know from experience, you simply can't have both. Anyone that says different isn't operating on any clock I know of.

Last edited:
BayIslandDiver (Will) & I tinkered with the math a number of months ago on a different thread. I compared an average of three different day-dive ops versus the mid priced AI, the one I know best, CoCoView.

The way it came out, in pure dollars and cents, was anything more than 2.2 dives per day and you were better of financially at the AI. I absolutely understand, this doesn't take into account the ambiance factor. But~ I am talking about a dive trip, not a vacation with some diving.

At FIBR and CoCoView, there is another hard to subjectively analyze and attribute in accounting form: the 24/7 shore dive, read: Night Dive. Three other places on Roatan claim such a dives, as well.

You're heading that way, yes. Adult conversation is sometime prone to giving newish posters the stink eye. That wasn't much of a bash, get over it. Hop on over to rec.scuba and go a few rounds over there.

Roatan is a very odd place. People that are going to the island for the same week always say, "I'll see you there!" With very few exceptions, that will never happen. Roatan is a place where you can be 1/2 mile away and be in a totally different environment. CoCoView is a dive resort like no other on Roatan, few others in the world. (see Atlantis Puerto Galera - Atlantis Dive Resorts - Philippines (Dumaguete and Puerto Galera))

The seven blind men describe the elephant. Remember that one? I use it all the time to describe Roatan. Diving on one side is vastly different from the other, the weather is 180° different, West End is nothing like the rest of the place. It is a small island of a thousand differences.

Having stayed at one place and dove with them and giving a ringing praise is pleasant, but unless you have and possibly demonstrate a basis for comparison, it rings hollow. Fill out your SB profile, some folks actually look at it to establish credibility of opinion.

This doesn't mean you have to be studied on all the options on Roatan, but if you could compare the operation to one or more others that you have sampled while diving, so much the better.

Here's what I know about AI versus Ala Carte...

I travel to many places that use what many call the European model of a dive day. So here we are at an AI resort. They run one 1 tank boat dive at 0900, 1200 and 1500 hrs. Between the dives, they return so that a large majority of the divers can get off and go sunbathing or take lunch. rarely does anyone do all three on any given day.

We do.

Here's how it worked in Tobago: Between each dive, we would drink huge amounts of fluid and eat snack bars. My wife did her log and laid out in the sun. I fussed with bits of dive gear. No time for lunch, not at any typical leisurely island pace- not if you wanted to make all three dives. At the end of the day, we were pretty tuckered out, all of this on-and-off stuff. We would drive into town for a quick bite and meet up with our guy who would take us out for a night dive at 2000 hrs. Then sleep, go to breakfast early enough to make the 0900 boat dive. Repeat.

Or the Philippines: 0900, 1200, 1500, 1800. Still at an AI, and they knew we were Americans and wanted to dive. They switched from their "made to order" food offerings, which were simply superb and elegant, and placed a small buffet (of good stuff!) just for us 4 a day nutbags.

In the Maldives on a Euro Liveaboard: They were used to providing 2 a day and 1 night dive on any given week. Surprise! They did the best they could to keep us diving. I was there on what they thought was a travel agents "familiarization" trip, but in fact it was seven Nitrogen junkies from the dive industry press.

These patterns are caused by a number of factors, first and foremost- the way diving evolved. People just didn't want more than 2 in a day because that's all they could stand (think dive tables). then they wanted variety- so the operators added a third boat, allowing them to sleep late, or maybe have lunch instead.

It is also an issue of boat capacity (number of boats on hand, too) and number of reserve tanks available. Not everyone can put 14 people on (one of their several) boats (over-designed for a theoretical max of 32) and place 56 full tanks on board for an all day trip. Some can.

It all goes back to what one wants, and it's okay to only want two a day, maybe three, somedays only one or maybe not at all. BUT- you have to claim that out loud.

I can speak best to the stinky wetsuited crowd, the ones that quite literally will come to eat in their dive skins and nobody bats an eye. I want food promptly, I want as much diving as the environment will allow, I want a night dive every night. I want nothing to do with beach tiki bars, dance scene party music, waiting for service at cute island restaurants. I want good dive gear storage areas, a gear service operation is handy, airport transfers that are aces, a super secure environment, management staff that handles everything. On Roatan, at least, I get that at CoCoview. If I wanted the after-hours stuff, you bet I would be at West End in a guest house, no doubt.

But I also understand that some folks want a party at night, versus just nightlife (on the reef).

I know from experience, you simply can't have both. Anyone that says different isn't operating on any clock I know of.
Thanks for the feed back, I go to dive locations to dive also, I have pretty thick skin and am "over it".
I always think my best dive will be my next one.

BayIslandDiver (Will) & I tinkered with the math a number of months ago on a different thread. I compared an average of three different day-dive ops versus the mid priced AI, the one I know best, CoCoView....

I just cannot wait for dive camp!! It'll be good to see you again and get my first night dive in!

The closer it gets the more I'm distracted at work thinking about being underwater...your description also really makes me want to take a tour of the island as well. And stay for two weeks next time...

I'm sorry to contradict some of the opinions above, but there is some misinformation. I would encourage anyone planning a trip to Roatan to do a little research themselves rather than take some of what is posted above at face value.

There are non-AI shops that do 4 dives a day, plus night dives at least once a week. Just look at their schedule or ask.

All inclusives are not more cost effective at 2.2 dives a day, that's just kind of a silly assertion to make. Again, just take a look at hotel and dive pricing, food I guess is a little hard to compare, but it is pretty cheap in Roatan. It will depend where you're staying, whether you're a single or a couple, etc. Either one could be more cost effective depending on a variety of factors.

Anyhow, I don't really know why some of the AI people are so aggressive about promoting these resorts. It seems like there are a lot of great reasons to go that route, and I think it's great that you are sharing. On the other hand, if the goal of this board is to help people figure out what they like, why spread disinformation about other options? Particularly options that you may not even be familiar with if you go to the all-inclusives? I don't understand how that helps anyone. If you have to compare your experience with a hypothetical shop that only does three dives a day and doesn't have a place to store gear, then you're not really helping someone decide what is best for them. It would be like me saying maybe the food isn't very good at all inclusives: I wouldn't say that, because I have no idea.

Future scubaboard readers, please make up your own minds! On this board, all-inclusive fans are like The Borg, but it's not the only way to go, not by a long shot.

Last edited:
Future scubaboard readers, please make up your own minds! On this board, all-inclusive fans are like the borg, but it's not the only way to go, not by a long shot.

The Borg. LOL :rofl3:

Resistance is futile. You, will be assimilated.

Yeah, there are a few obsessive types here. It's not just about AI's. Spend some time in the other areas; fins, bcd's, favorite dive ops. etc.. It's pretty easy to spot those who are passionate about their favorites and want to share, vs. the "others" who believe their way of thinking is the only way. Plenty of both.

Having lived in Roatan, I nearly choked laughing when I read you want a pool and a nice sandy beach. Do your homework. Like others have said, Roatan is a third world country with some remarkable dive sites. There is only one road in Roatan "the pave". The cattle boat starts when you get off the plane and line up for customs. Then you get to retrieve your luggage and get on the bus to take you to your resort. Expect to tip nearly everyone, it's a very poor country. Your expectations are a little out of line, but I think if you research Roatan on the internet and on this board, you will find your answers. With a open mind you could have one of the best dive trips of your life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom