Roatan Layover - What to do for 6 hours?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

temperaturewuss

Registered
Reaction score
Hi There

My flight at the end of my Utila trip gets me into Roatan around 9am or 10am. My flight back to the US does not leave until around 3PM.

I would love to check my bags in and go find something to do for a few hours.

Any Suggestions?

Terese

You could grab a cab and ride to West End and walk around a bit, shopping and trying some snorkeling. I've heard West Bay has some good shore snorkeling and the Sandy Bay area might be worth looking into for snorkeling. There are dolphin shows and "snorkel with dolphins" at Anthony's Key Resort plus a marine science center, and near there is the Carambola Reserve with hiking opportunities. There's an iguana farm further east, a Garifuna Village on the NE shore, and a canopy zip-line somewhere also. You could consider seeing what it would cost to hire a cab driver for a few hours to take you around to the sights; we've done that a time or 2 on different continents when we had long (but not overnight) layovers and it can be a great way to get a feel for a place in a small amount of time. You may need to check in for your international flight 2 hours ahead, which would reduce your time by that much. Have a blast whatever you decide - when are you going to be there?

cowjazz:
Pass the time by drinking Salva Vida.

...On the West End. Meet intoxicated younglings, check out some of the theoretical "dive ops", shop furiously for cheap Guatemalan imports being passed of as Honduran crafts.

Go into town (Coxen Hole) and find much nicer crafts stores but no real places for a tourist to drink. As there is really no shopping in Utila, there is a little bit on Roatan.

If you arranged it in advance and really hustled, you could bop by AKR and pester Flipper (on snorkel).

Otherwise, I s'pose you could drink a Salva Vida. (This is a loose translation onomatiopeoically to "Saliva Vital", ergo: The Spit of Life.

Works for me. After Utila and a great week there, you just might want to just kick back and pass out in the Admiral's Club at the Roatan Int'l Airport. They have Salva Vidas, too.

My experience has been that the domestic flights from Utila, La Ceiba to Roatan leave when THEY are ready and although your itinerary says you arrive in Roatan at 10.00am it could be closer to 11.00am, so pre booking anything in advance could be a bad move. The airport is about a 20 minute ride from West End, which is where I would head to, you even have time to get a snorkle in or catch a water taxi to West Bay. West End is a sleepy, beach, road, dive community. The road is dotted with dive shops (some of them not theoritical), bars, restaurants and gift shops, there is even a art gallery. Catch a cab from the airport to West End (approx us$15, 20 mins) if you feel like an ice cold beer, park yourself at Sundowners bar on the beach and watch the world go by, bring your swimsuit as there is some excellent snorkelling just off the beach or check out some of the accomodations for future dive trips.

Arriving at 10am (or 11am), both CO & TA (don't know about Delta's schedule)counters should be open already as they have earlier flights to tend, so you can check your bags before you cath the cab if you're flying on either of them.

shadowdiver:
The road is dotted with dive shops (some of them not theoritical).

My bad for that comment. Yes, there are some good dive ops along that road. The ones of lesser quality would be more entertaining to look at, however.

UTL Girl knows the deal intimately. Check in with her when you are in Utila and get the local :14: scoop.

Back
Top Bottom