Rules for the Scuba board Fitness Challenge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would concur on the weigh in, i actually did it on monday night and was 242#, but that was after exercise and drinking a litre of water (worked out to be ~2#), so last night before working out i thought i would check sans water, lo and behold i was 240#, so there was 2# already off, due to the lack of water in my system!

Just remember when you do your weigh in that you should have used the restroom before or not have drunk much - ie in the morning or before the workout - and of course approx. same time each week - not each day as there are larger differences by the week than per day.

Last night went on the bike for 30 mins, jogging up to the Y and back is another 1.5 miles as well, so all in all about 45mins of cardio. Getting better at getting up, i even woke before the new 7am, so if i can just translate that into going to the gym early, that should be better. Ate salad last night with FF dressing and a few crushed club crackers sprinkled. Same daily diet every day, the difference is always the evening meal. Tonight contemplating either rowing, jogging or swimming - depending on whether they have finished the changing rooms at the Y or if i am jogging up there.

My suggestion is once a week absolute tops! I only really hit it every other week. My favorite guideline is the "how do I look" guide. When my pants started to fit more loose, I stepped on the measuring device and was delighted at the 4# shift.

Yesterday was an "off day". food was as follows:

B- Subway bacon, egg and cheese sandwich (deli bun- NOTHING else on it)
L- Lean Cuisine TV Dinner
D- Beef Kabobs and rice pilaf

today I cracked another 70 minutes on the treadmill (130 minutes total for the week to date). will lift (legs) this afternoon after work.
Food:

B- METRx shake
L- Lean Cuisine TV dinner
snack- 1 ounce cheese slices and crackers
D- probably sushi and a couple of martinis- Wednesday night is my night out for dinner with the girls.

Got up this morning and took a walk with the dog. Then spent 20 minutes lifting weights. Thanks to the board I'm more conscious of what I eat and how I exercise. I want to lose the weight but want it to stay off. I'm not as aggressive as some of you but doing what I think works for me. In the past I lost the weight--I think I've lost a couple of people by now but I have allowed the weight to creep back on. Thanks for the sharing and encouragement that I've seen so far.
The discussion about soda really makes sense. I'll keep working on cutting back and then losing that habit.

Yesterday I got a pilates class in. Today I'm going to try the resist-a-ball class!!

We had venison for dinner last night..anyone know the points on that?? Normally I don't like it, but it was good last night. Mom must have cooked it right.

I'm not a good one for exercise either, but I also joined a spring fitness challenge here at work. We get a 3 month membership at the gym for $15!! So I'm taking as many of the classes as I can stand. That's my lunch hour!! By the time I get hoem I'm too tired to do anything else, so I might as well get it done during the day. The nice thing is the gym is in the ground floor right by me.

The points for venison should be about the same as for lean beef. Actually, venison is typically leaner than beef, and is an excellent source of lean protien.

AmyJ:
First of all, I think this is awesome... I don't know why, but I do...

Ok, now for my pity party.... Time... excersize is one of the best ways for me to lose weight, partly because it encourages me to eat less and more healthy (besides the obvious benefits). And I even love to do it...

But I CAN NOT find the time... I know that everyone struggles with this...but...I really don't know... the obvious answer would be to re-organize my life, but much easier said than done.

Right now I am taking 38 credits in school (yes, that is what you think it is... full time is 12 credits)... I work part-time... have two kids (3 +4), one with a disability which means many doctors apts, therapy, meetings blah blah blah... husband is a farrier (NEVER around this time of year) currently in NE for a family emergency and just got a call yesterday saying that as soon as he gets home he is being activated (AF Reserves) for this current mess. I know that I am in way over my head and excersize would solve a variety of problems.. but how...

Hope this isn't too off topic and dont' expect any easy answers. Just wanted to vent. Some how I will have a good report to post on my diet/exercise this week!!!

Amy, I hope this msg finds you still making efforts. 38 credits is way too much. I'm sure you have, but have you really considered the reasons why you must take so many credits? I don't want to jump to conclusions, but you might consider a lesser load for this term, especially if you're still within time to drop and get a refund. With your husband being reactivated, you're almost going to have to.

On a different note, regarding exercise, no one says you must exercise 1 hr a day, 5 times a week. 20 mins a day, 3 days a week of good, intense cardio will be a good start while you get your schedule under control. That's only 1 hr of exercise per week, which, if you combine it with a good nutritional program (I don't like to call them diets due to the negative connotation the word gives), will be sufficient to get your body going in the right direction. My wife and I have two kids at home also (14 yrs and 7 1/2 months), so it goes without saying that we share the frustration.

Good luck, and by all means, don't quit!!!! we're all behind you!!!

Rick

I have managed to get in a 30min. walk (each day) 2 days this week, and plan on going tonight as well. I have done about 200 sit-ups each day this week. As far as eating, I have managed to eat a fairly healthy diet except for the chocolate chip ice cream I had Monday night! :11ztongue Got to splurge once in a while.

Geez. If I ate like some of you I think I'd be passing out all day from lack of nutrition! Not trying to critisize at all since we all are at different levels and have different goals and hey! We're all in this together right?

Anyways, I've got a pretty good lifting routine that I've been at for a few years now. My problem is I don't do enough cardio - hope to change that right now! I do 15min on the bike to get warm for lifting; I lift 5-6 days a week for about an hour. So I still need the calories for the weights (I think).

I was thinking maybe a protein drink would work. I'm not interested in the body building stuff, I lift for strength not looks so I don't want some of those "mega/mass/super/huge" kind of things but maybe something inbetween that and a "slimfast" type. Any ideas?
Oh, and they have to taste good! I tried a couple years ago and they almost made me puke!

My goal is to drop 10-12 and see if I can get that 6 pack that I used to have when I was 20 while gaining in strength (big goal, eh?) so I guess doing this for looks is a tad true.
Anyone else in a similar perdiciment?

mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom