Rules for the Scuba board Fitness Challenge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now i dont lift weights as often as you Mark, but i think the cardio would help burn any fat that is hiding your 6-pack (just like mine is doing now, although they never have ever actually seen the light of day). Your metabolism is probably up from the lifting but you need some really blood pumping cardio to push you over that edge. I find that i have to eat something, but i find what i have is more than enough so that i am now trying to cut back. Do i take it with that many days lifting you are alternating one day upper body, one day lower etc? Are you also lifting a lot and small number of reps or light and loads of reps. It doesnt sound like you want to being doing the first as you dont want to bulk up, but you do want to build strength and probably not stamina (many reps, light weight), so i would think the typical 10-12 reps of a weight you can just about lift for 12 reps would be ideal to continue to increase your strength.

As for the drinks or meal replacements, i really dont know. My housemate uses that bulk stuff etc, he also has all day to work out when he isnt on shift! I have occasionally gone to tropical smoothie or the like when needing a meal replacement, for crushed ice and flavouring they are quite nice!

Mark-

Try METRx or Myoplex. The chocolate is usually the best flavor. Realizet hat these are *meal replacements* and have a full mea's worth of calories, in addition to vitamins, minerals, and of course the protien supplement. Myoplex, incidentally comes in a "light" version as well. I like the Myoplex pre-mix the best, comes ina about an 8 ounce box- very convenient.

sim - You're right. I've got to get that cardio up or nothing will change because I like to eat too many bad things :wink:
As for the weights, I have 4 different days that I alternate 3 in and 1 off. I mix it up with some days heavy and some light as well as replacing 1 exercise with another every once in awhile - this I think keeps the muscles off guard so they never know what to expect (use both twitch and power(?) fibres). I try to do a big muscle group with a small each day.

1) chest (big muscle); biceps (small muscle)
2) back (big); abs(small? the muscle OK!!!!)
3) shoulders (maybe small); triceps (small)
4) legs; abs

I wouldn't recommend anyone try this untill they've been at it for awhile. Like Sim said; upper one day and lower the next followed by a day off is a good start for someone.

Heather - did you say chocolate? Are you sure its good for us?? That light one might be what I'm looking for. I will look for it

Personally i do one day on two/three days off, that one day on is 3 sets of everything thrown in, takes about an hour to do that many exercises - i do take it slow as well. The 2/3 days off are for cardio or diving!! I had contemplated doing the upper and lower body, but hadnt gotten around to it, mostly due to laziness and lack of time (an hour and a bit - inc the jog to gym) every day.

Again i dont recommend one thing over another (particularly not cramming in your weights to just two sessions) for any particular person, only some general guidelines i have found over the years.

Joe:
Help! I have been to two stores and can't find those Stella Dorra cookies.

More later..

I drink the Carnation Instant Breakfast. I like the Rich Milk Chocolate the best. If you mix it with really cold milk then let it sit for a couple minutes, it will thicken. Also, I used to make Chocolate shakes with it. Pop some of it in a blender with a banana, skim milk and ice cubes. Yum!

bridgediver:
sim - You're right. I've got to get that cardio up or nothing will change because I like to eat too many bad things :wink:
As for the weights, I have 4 different days that I alternate 3 in and 1 off. I mix it up with some days heavy and some light as well as replacing 1 exercise with another every once in awhile - this I think keeps the muscles off guard so they never know what to expect (use both twitch and power(?) fibres). I try to do a big muscle group with a small each day.

1) chest (big muscle); biceps (small muscle)
2) back (big); abs(small? the muscle OK!!!!)
3) shoulders (maybe small); triceps (small)
4) legs; abs

I wouldn't recommend anyone try this untill they've been at it for awhile. Like Sim said; upper one day and lower the next followed by a day off is a good start for someone.

Heather - did you say chocolate? Are you sure its good for us?? That light one might be what I'm looking for. I will look for it

It's chocolateflavored- Im not sure it actually has any chocolate in it :11: . I alsolike the METRx vanilla and strawberry. They have a chocolate and peanut butter flavor but I haven't been brave enough to try that at 6:30 AM yet.

This morning I walked an extra 50 yards or so added onto my 1 1/2 mile walk, and did a quick short run 1/2 way thro to get the heart pumping. Then did some stretches and tried the situps again. What a joke! The rate I am going, I should be able to do 1 by next week!
Breakfast was a big glass of fresh carrot juice (after the big glass of ice water). Mid morning snack was a banana. Lunch was a Boca burger with cheese and bun, and a Light N Lively yogurt, and a diet coke. Afternoon snack apple, then a tootsie pop. Drive home apple. Dinner cooking right now...mashed potatoes with a turkey burger and tomato soup mix. Milk.
Dessert will be a popsicle. Hmm. Lots of sugar.

It is time for me to check in today. I have had a very good day. I was up and ready to go and exercised for 30 minutes with the Slim in six, Start it Up Dvd. I have done that video workout 4 times now and I do like it. Since I am doing my workouts at 5:30am before work I like to do a good 30minutes work out. I have also used the Walk Away the Pounds Express Videos last year when I lost down so well. I was walking with those videos 6 days a week and I was addicted to them. But, I am trying to add some variety and get higher cardio with free weight or exercise resistance bands in them. I especially need to work on my triceps, they are flab and weak. I have found that I am very weak in my upper body, arms and shoulders.

Food for today was well on plan and I used my points well.
B: cooked oatmeal, 2pts. 1/2 c. cooked apples, 2pts, 1 cup
ff milk, 2pts. Mid morning: 1 small Dannon FF yogurt equals 1/2 cup, 1pt. Lunch: 1/2 cup rice, 2pts 1/2 cup crawfish ettouffe( a coworker's mom made this, she is visiting from Louisianna) it was delicious too. I looked it up and it was 6pts.
Salad, for 2pts. Afternoon snack: 4 baby carrots, and one sm. can of V-8, for 0 pts. Dinner: 3oz lean steak grilled, 6pts. 1 cup steamed cauliflower 0pts, Salad with Basalmic dressing , 1pt. To drink with my meals I had Crystal Light Tea, and I have drank all 8 waters.

I also wore my pedometer to work and I walked 7.6 miles today just working ! That needs to count for something! So activity points earned today were atleast 4. But, I am going to use 2 of them to swap and have a WW IceCream Big Cone. They are awesome, and worth the swap.

Total points used today were: 26target points, minus 2 for AP and 2 flex points =22pts for the day.

I now have only 33 flex points left to use until next Tues. I am sure I will do fine. Just have to get past Easter. No problem, Ha! Guess I will have to do extra AP to burn off more.

Check in again later.

Breakfast: 5 egg whites, one piece of flourless bread
Snack one: Protein Berry Smoothie
Lunch: Turkey avacado snack
Snack 2: Tuna, tomato and high fiber crackers
Dinner: Beef lentle soup

Origina weigh in 178 on Tuesday. Was 205 on January 1. Workout today Ran 2.5 miles and then walked .5 miles. I will get that last .5 miles into the run by gum!!!! Still made the three mile mark under 30 minutes.

By the way, I am using the Discovery Health Body Challenge website for workout and menu planning. Anyone else using it? Takes a lot of prep but the food is varied and tasty.

Keep up the good work.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom