Rumor: Holbox only port that can offer trips to swim with whale sharks now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I just saw this on another thread, citing Swim with the Whale Sharks in Yucatan /  Breaking News as a source - whoever the hell hapefun.com is? :idk: Anyone know if this is true?

Excerpting...
Tourism based on whale shark watching has increased dramatically in the last few years and government agencies have taken steps to protect these magnificent animals so that the species will not be harmed and so they will continue to return to this area. For that reason, Isla Holbox has recently been named by the Mexican government as the only port that can offer trips to swim with the whale sharks and there are strict rules against scuba equipment being used to view them in the area.

I don't know if that specific article is true, but I do know they've had a prohibition against being able to scuba with whale sharks for a long time....which is why I'll never be interested in doing a whale shark trip......if I can't scuba with them, I'm not going to bother!

I don't know if that specific article is true, but I do know they've had a prohibition against being able to scuba with whale sharks for a long time....which is why I'll never be interested in doing a whale shark trip......if I can't scuba with them, I'm not going to bother!
Well, that's unfortunate. Since the Dominoes stay on the surface, it'd be pointless to scuba - and since speed is needed to keep up with them, you wouldn't stand a chance without a scooter. There are other reasons, like distracting them, etc - but mostly it's pointless.

Too bad about you missing the fun.

Well, that's unfortunate. Since the Dominoes stay on the surface, it'd be pointless to scuba - and since speed is needed to keep up with them, you wouldn't stand a chance without a scooter. There are other reasons, like distracting them, etc - but mostly it's pointless.

Too bad about you missing the fun.

Don, I've seen whale sharks a couple of times @ the Texas Flower Gardens (scuba off FLING/SPREE/Sea Searcher)....and there is a resort in Belize or Honduras that advertises scuba/whale shark trips......and there seems to be no problem scuba-ing with them in Galapagos either.....it appears scooters are not a requirement, and other venues don't seem to consider scuba a 'distraction'......sometimes countries seem to just pull mindless regulations out of their *ss. Snorkeling just doesn't 'do it' for me, what can I say.....

Ok, we're talking about the shoal off of Cancun here, and they do not stop. I've read that they do in other locations, but not there! And many of them do have boat scars so I don't know that they are overly protected.

Galapagos may be okay scuba diving with them, but Honduras does not allow it either. I have been on two different boats there that specialized in Dominoes and their rules are the same as in Mexico - snorkeling only.

Ok, we're talking about the shoal off of Cancun here, and they do not stop. I've read that they do in other locations, but not there! And many of them do have boat scars so I don't know that they are overly protected.

Galapagos may be okay scuba diving with them, but Honduras does not allow it either. I have been on two different boats there that specialized in Dominoes and their rules are the same as in Mexico - snorkeling only.

OK, Don, I found someone here on SB advertising a SCUBA whale shark trip to Belize:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tr...4324-2011-belize-whale-shark-dive-groups.html

...sooo, it's OK to scuba with Whale Sharks in Belize, but not in Mexico, which is right next door ??? :confused:

OK, Don, I found someone here on SB advertising a SCUBA whale shark trip to Belize:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tr...4324-2011-belize-whale-shark-dive-groups.html

...sooo, it's OK to scuba with Whale Sharks in Belize, but not in Mexico, which is right next door ??? :confused:
Honestly, each country can have its own rules and I do not have personal experiences with Belize Whale Shark excursions. His ad does mention diving with them, but some refer to snorkel diving that way, and he also says "divers get a rare opportunity to swim along with these magnificent and gentle creatures" so I would be surprised if they scuba with them there. You could ask him...? :idk:

I have read of scuba divers on the other side of the world diving with them, feeding them shrimp, and such.

First of all Dandy why are you asking about Holbox on a Cozumel board?
The other thread about whale sharks had something to do with the OP staying on Cozumel so I guess it was ok to ask.
I am not sure what the hell hapefun is either looks like a chat board but the original article is from Yucatan Today which is a tourist guide.
Holbox Island | Yucatan Today
There is also another article from this site about the whale sharks:
Whale Sharks | Yucatan Today
And it says not only that same quote but this also:
At a recent conference, April 2010, Pronatura declared that at least 1000 whale sharks were counted in 2009. This national treasure must be protected. Many whale sharks have been seen with injuries caused by the propellers of passing boats.

Now Cozumel has restrictions against fishing in the marine park yet it still happens.
Dive shops are also supposed to charge $1 per diver for diving in the park yet many shops never charge and or turn over the money and both of these has gone on for years.

I am sure if the Mexican Govt placed restrictions on whale shark tours sometime last year those rules have been and will continue to be broken in the future.

I also 2nd the fact of diving with them......I have seen some fantastic video footage from divers in Galapagos.

What is this about you need to snorkel with them to keep up?? :shocked2::rofl3:

BTW this is only 1 of 2 places in the world where they congregate in such large numbers so I say place all the rules they want.

Because it often involves people who do dive on Coz as well. My wife and I will be diving Coz from July 3-10.

Preferentially I would like to do snorkeling at Isla Mujeres and only spend a day away from Coz. Holbox means 2 days away from Coz and less $$ spent at their shops.

Jason

I miss the Thanks button. Like is just not that same.
The other thread about whale sharks had something to do with the OP staying on Cozumel so I guess it was ok to ask.
Because it often involves people who do dive on Coz as well. My wife and I will be diving Coz from July 3-10.

Preferentially I would like to do snorkeling at Isla Mujeres and only spend a day away from Coz. Holbox means 2 days away from Coz and less $$ spent at their shops.

Jason
smilies-17876.png
I have posted on the Mexico forum at times for things that did not directly involve Cozumel, but this forum seems to have more regulars participating - so I thot I'd dig out facts here, post over there later, as the readership tends to be one or the other.

Now on one hand, I can strongly recommend a side trip to Holbox. Things may have changed some since we were there a few years ago but it was a delightful island village I'd love to take my kids to before it gets paved and Cancuned. We did it by car, and there are actual maps showing where to go & turn now, :eyebrow: for a 3 nights, 2 day snorkeling trip without missing a morning of diving, then flying out of Cancun without a drop charge. Mrs.Ann & hubby (nice guy, Otto?) left most of their gear and clothes in Coz, took the bus from PDC-Cancun-Chiquila for the ferry to Holbox and they said it was nice, no driving, :cool2: but they only did one day snorkeling. I'd like to do it again with my kids and include some other tours there.

On the other, if the Mexican government and park rangers enforce this rule, I'm sure the PDC connections will make it work in one day trip if desired. I've heard of some that involved very long days: ferry to PDC, van ride to Chiquila, private boat pick up there, maybe skipping the island of Holbox entirely to go directly to wherever the Whale Shark shoal is that day, then back track - something similar to other tours but a longer drive. This is only February and we have several months to find info, but some like me plan day to day lodging, driving, and boats this far in advance so I thot it'd be good to get to the bottom of this now if possible.
I am not sure what the hell hapefun is either looks like a chat board but the original article is from Yucatan Today which is a tourist guide.
Holbox Island | Yucatan Today
There is also another article from this site about the whale sharks:
Whale Sharks | Yucatan Today
And it says not only that same quote but this also:
Ok, that is a known source anyway. I don't know how valid it is, but a better starting place.
smilies-17877.png
A stronger rumor anyway, altho I am still skeptical.
Now Cozumel has restrictions against fishing in the marine park yet it still happens.
Dive shops are also supposed to charge $1 per diver for diving in the park yet many shops never charge and or turn over the money and both of these has gone on for years.

I am sure if the Mexican Govt placed restrictions on whale shark tours sometime last year those rules have been and will continue to be broken in the future.
I dunno. :idk: I try to appreciate and cooperate with the cultural and national differences there, but I don't understand them. Business is first more so there than here even I think, but I avoid breaking laws more so there too.
I also 2nd the fact of diving with them......I have seen some fantastic video footage from divers in Galapagos.

What is this about you need to snorkel with them to keep up?? :shocked2::rofl3:

BTW this is only 1 of 2 places in the world where they congregate in such large numbers so I say place all the rules they want.
What is the Mexican term for speaking with two mouths? :confused: You want to scuba with them or enforce rules? As far as that goes, have you ever swam with them yourself? If so, did you ever see one stop, or go slow enough for a diver in scuba kit to keep up with?

At one point, our skipper threw us a line and drug us 3 including the guide until he could get us back onto a Manta we'd missed. I felt a little like a large fishing lure but it worked. We found him 10 ft below & upside down and watched/videoed as he rolled over - before he did the AdiosMF! The only Manta we saw in 2 days and he was not friendly, but very neat experience.

Back
Top Bottom