Rumor: Holbox only port that can offer trips to swim with whale sharks now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So we still don't have a government statement on whether non-Holbox boats can enter the Whaleshark park? Even if not, it sounds like the Isla Mujeres boats and maybe those from Port Juarez can still find them ok, and in clearer water.

I've never been to IM, maybe I need to visit it some trip, but I really enjoyed the Holbox village & beach - would love to take my daughter's family there before they pave it. I see that Orbitz is even booking hotels there now starting at $70, some with AC starting at $99. :cool: We had AC at the Dream and it was nice for siestas.

The water was murky swimming with the Dominoes but as close as we were, didn't seem to matter much. I guess it boils down to preferences: either/or. The tour rates are up at Holbox in just a few years, from $70 to $95, but still well below IJ's $135 but that price may include transportation from Isla Cancun - like I said, not been to IM yet.

So we still don't have a government statement on whether non-Holbox boats can enter the Whaleshark park?

I already posted a link to the regulations.....see post #21
It says:

Compliance with the conditions laid down in permits.
Limit the number of boats in the area of whale shark sighting.
Not allow the use of vessels over 12m. or 40 feet.
There will be a maximum of 1 boat per whale shark.

Now these alone would tell any reasonably intelligent person that it is very doubtful boats that are not locally operated are allowed. This area is a federally protected sanctuary and the number of boats able to operate tours in this area is strictly limited. I am sure those are enough of an explanation for most people. Then again if we start limiting people to what they post here based on proving 100% what they say first I would think some people would be severely limited in what they usually post. I can think of a few of THOSE posters right off the bat.

I'd be willing to bet that they use spotter planes to direct the boats to where the sharks are.
I wonder if the Mujeres and Holbox boats don't subscribe to the same spotter plane service? Even if the boats don't go to the same areas, one plane can cover a lot of ocean top and those big boys are easy to spot. Have you ever swam with them Gordy? It really is a treat.

Alohagal was reported a couple or so years ago that she went out from Mujeres and supposedly the Holbox boats were having to travel further to where the Mujeres boats usually go, if I remember correctly. Holbox is at 21°33′N 87°15′W and Mujeres at 21°13′N 86°43′W - so how far are they apart? About 33 miles as the albatross flies? How many boat hours is that?

Roddrigo here aka The "Whale Shark Daddy" Owner of Holbox & Cancun Whale Shark Tours. Heres the "REAL" Skinny from the Whale sharks Mouth. We began operating the WS Tours from Holbox in 2004. We've had great aggregations every year in our Plankton Rich water of the YUM BALAAM Nature Reserve. Several Years ago Politics got involved aand as if the Mujeres Tour guys did'nt have enough on their plate somehow (Probably with $$$ Payoffs) convinced someone in the Mex Govt to give permits to them @ the expense of the Dedicated Operators on sla Holbox who really dont have much else in the way of Tourism (no diving etc etc)

For the Past 2-3 years the IM boys have taken people out to SNORKEL with the WS. The Pasyt 2 years have seen a new anamoly. There is a SPLITTING of the Whale Sharks usually around Mid-July. In early June/July ALL of the WS are feeding on Plankton, krill etc near Holbox & the IM boats have to come coupla Hours just to keeep their guarantees intact.

Then Lo & behold theres been a SPAWN of a species of Tuna that creates a BUFFET of CAVIAR the WS cannot resist. This has occurred in the Deeper Darker Blue Waters north of ISLA CONTOY. Now the game changes. IM boats dont have to come to Holbopx, but Holbox boats if they want to see the "AQUA AZUL" Action need to go to Contoy.

Our SOLUTION is we now Operate Boats from BOTH Locations. CANCUN & HOLBOX. see Whale Shark Tours by Holbox Tours & Travel & Home Page

Trip Advisor rates us #1 & we Specialize in VIP Private Boats for Dive Groups, Prof Photographers , Families etc. 2011 Promises to be another Great year, But we still dont really now WHERE the WS will be until late May early June.

Spotter planes are usually not used for spotting but are chartered by people wanting to view these Magnificent animals from an AERIAL Perspective. he GPS is our Handy Guide! COME JOIN US this Year!

Isla Holbox is the OPPOSITE of Cancun, Isla Mujeres & Cozumel. NO CARS NO ASPHALT! Let us send you some sneak peek preview DVD's & join in the FUN!

I have no idea how they manage to offer a guarantee, but when we went with Eco Colors north of Isla Mujeras, we found tons of them, and the vis was so good that I spotted a group of five mantas when I was chasing one whale shark that was swimming down. It was aonce in a lifetime experience that was worth every penny for the three of us. I'm really glad my son had the chance to experience it with us!:D

It was informative spam huh? I wondered by the Dominoes went to clear water at times. Might be the better way to go then, altho I greatly enjoyed Isla Holbox.

Say Cheese!

Attachments

• Picture 112.jpg
    Picture 112.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Picture 136.jpg
    Picture 136.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 60
I shot video...

[vimeo]3783470[/vimeo]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back