Rumor: Holbox only port that can offer trips to swim with whale sharks now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveCozumel, please give us the link that states the Mexican Government has done as you said.... Please, an official Mexican Government site if possible...

Regards, lee

Well here is a response from the original articles rep at Yucatan Today:

Thank you for contacting yucatantoday.com . According to my research, it seems there are tour companies offering tours from Isla Mujeres. Apparently they don't actually enter the official whale shark viewing area (because they are not allowed to), so the whales they see are not within the protected area. They also carry more passengers per boat than are allowed in the official area. This is why we recommend going from Holbox, where the viewing is controlled.
Here are some government links:

The article stated that only boats from Holbox can give whale shark tours which is true but they forgot to mention that the rule only applies to the govt restricted area around Holbox seen here:

Google Translate

Here are the regulations for whale sharks:
Google Translate

It states permits will be issued for the boats in this area. I assume the permits restrict this area to only local boats.

So it appears you can take boat tours from other locations to see whale sharks BUT there is no guarantee you will see them and they are doing it in areas that are NOT regulated and they are prohibited from entering the restricted area around Holbox.

There are a couple boats I know of out of Isla that have a max of 6 passengers, so their info is still not quite accurate. Over the last few years the trips from Isla, especially with a couple really good charter boats, have become more popular than Holbox for serious u/w photo and video people. They're seeing more whalesharks and the water is nice and blue vs the murky green in the area the Holbox boats go to. Isla is also easier to get to, and has more to do... can't be out swimming with the whalesharks 24/7.

The boats out of Isla still follow the rules regarding how many people can be in the water with the whalesharks at a time, snorkel only, etc.

So it appears you can take boat tours from other locations to see whale sharks BUT there is no guarantee you will see them and they are doing it in areas that are NOT regulated and they are prohibited from entering the restricted area around Holbox.

The companies running out of Isla do in fact guarantee you will see them. I went on a tour last July and there were about 40 or so whale sharks. There's no need to "keep up" with them as they are literally all over the place. After one glides by just wait ten seconds and another one will be coming your way.

The companies running out of Isla do in fact guarantee you will see them. I went on a tour last July and there were about 40 or so whale sharks. There's no need to "keep up" with them as they are literally all over the place. After one glides by just wait ten seconds and another one will be coming your way.

They may guarantee to refund your money if you do not see them but I see no way possible they guarantee you will see them as they can't control nature.

They may guarantee to refund your money if you do not see them but I see no way possible they guarantee you will see them as they can't control nature.

Ditto for Holbox.

I'd be willing to bet that they use spotter planes to direct the boats to where the sharks are.

I have never heard of planes being used.
I don't know if the boats going from Holbox offer refunds or not but there is a reason this was designated a protected area as this is their destination every year. This is the area where the Gulf and Caribbean Sea meet which is heavily saturated with the food they like. They also come here to mate, another reason for the protection. You might be able to see them en route to here from other dive boats off of other islands but this is where they are heading.

I'd be willing to bet that they use spotter planes to direct the boats to where the sharks are.
A photographer friend of mine charters a boat out of Isla every year for 2 wks of whaleshark season. He and another person on the trip got a chance last summer to go up in a plane over the area. The flight was arranged through the boat charter. He said planes go up every day and the pilot was communicating with boats. He wasn't sure how it works but thought it's probably for a fee. Even with spotter planes I don't think anyone can really guarantee anything.

A photographer friend of mine charters a boat out of Isla every year for 2 wks of whaleshark season. He and another person on the trip got a chance last summer to go up in a plane over the area. The flight was arranged through the boat charter. He said planes go up every day and the pilot was communicating with boats. He wasn't sure how it works but thought it's probably for a fee. Even with spotter planes I don't think anyone can really guarantee anything.
With GPS on both the boat and the plane I would think that they can get pretty good odds.

With GPS on both the boat and the plane I would think that they can get pretty good odds.

Exactly. The term "guarantee" means you will get what you were offered or you get your money back. Manufacturers "guarantee" their products all the time, that doesn't mean their products never fail, it means they refund your money if they do.

Nobody, neither in Holbox nor Isla, can make whale sharks be at a certain location and time if they do not wish to be so obviously a guarantee to see whale sharks means if you don't see them then you don't pay. A company cannot stay in business doing this very often so they wouldn't be offering this guarantee if they weren't pretty confident. When we went out the boat captains were on their radios chattering. Maybe they work with a plane or not but they definitely fan out and cooperate as a network.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom