Russian Tourist Accident in Thailand.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have dove in Thailand on several occasions in 2006 in 2008 both on day trips and live abroad. My thoughts are this: Be careful. I witnessed some very close calls between boaters and divers. This was especially true on the day trips. We did a day trip to Phi Phi. Luckily we were finishing our dive as the rest of the boats were arriving....total chaos. Dive boats were dropping divers (almost colliding) as long tails were zooming in and around the divers. I had a blast diving Thailand but divers gotta watch out.

I have dove in Thailand on several occasions in 2006 in 2008 both on day trips and live abroad. My thoughts are this: Be careful. I witnessed some very close calls between boaters and divers. This was especially true on the day trips. We did a day trip to Phi Phi. Luckily we were finishing our dive as the rest of the boats were arriving....total chaos. Dive boats were dropping divers (almost colliding) as long tails were zooming in and around the divers. I had a blast diving Thailand but divers gotta watch out.

Brings to mind that famous line.....this ain't Kansas Dorothy.

Crowley knows what he is talking about.

John

are there any websites that direct tourists to safe dive operations and help steer us away from dodgy dive shops?

Just to back up Crowley, this is Thailand (which we abbreviate TIT).
Enforcement of rules is lax everywhere, driving, swimming, boating you name it.
Last week I saw a beach lifeguard sleeping in his chair, underneath a Red flag.

Diving is actually one of the safest activities here, since most dive shops are foreign owned and place a strong emphasis on safety.

The situation in question was an accident waiting to happen. The diver WAS in the wrong area, but its unclear if the diver knew that, how clear it was marked, or if there was anyone to enforce it (very doubtful).
By local standards the boat driver was 'responsible', which in this instance means he wasn't drunk and didn't flee the scene.

Thailand is a great place, but you need to be responsible for your own safety here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom