Rust? after hydro on steel tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jondjames

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Had my tank hydroed the other day and it passed, took a peek inside today and noticed small spots of what may be rust but I'm not sure? Is this normal?

I'd call that a lot of rust. It needs to be rinsed with a rust inhibiter and/or inerted.

Maybe it's the color of the lights that is making it look so bad? My concerns are the small dark spots, I can't tell if it's rust or not or if I should even worry about it at all since it passed hydro it should pass the visual inspection at my dive shop shouldn't it?

If that were my tank I would tumble/clean it then dry it properly before using it.

looks like flash rust and some spots that likely showed up over time. Not something to be terribly concerned about, but it should at least get a whipping if not a tumble. I treat that as SoP after hydro for all of my steel bottles

I had plans to put it to use this weekend on a trip to mermet springs, I doubt a whipping or tumble could be done before I leave on Friday, is It something that can wait until I return maybe?

I had plans to put it to use this weekend on a trip to mermet springs, I doubt a whipping or tumble could be done before I leave on Friday, is It something that can wait until I return maybe?
as long as you aren't PP blending I'd have no problem filling it with air or premix nitrox. Others may not, but to each his own

I'd fill it... Dive it this weekend and then tumble it when I got back... But, Everyone knows I am always running against the wind..

Jim...

OK. Cool thanks a bunch. This will be my first time diving a steel tank and was excited to put it to use. I'll be sure to only fill it with air and have it tumbled when I return : )

Well, I whip my tanks myself, turn them upside-down to dump out the rust powder, and then rinse them with boiling water. Then I turn them upside down again and blow them out with scuba tank air and let them dry in the sun. When they are thoroughly dry I attach the valve and fill it. So far this has prevented "flash" rust from forming.

If you take your tanks to a dive shop to get them hydroed they are likely to offer whipping or tumbling for an extra charge. If you take it yourself to a hydro station they seem to just dump out the water used for the test and dry them with compressed air, probably not from a heavily-filtered source such as a scuba tank. Mild flash rush is considered to not be a problem however if you have rust "spots" I would want to inspect them to be sure they are not pits and remove any loose rust. Basically, before a hydro test the tester will inspect the cylinder and if it does not pass their visual they won't hydro test it so I'd say your tanks are probably OK. Personally I would not use the tank until inspecting it further but I have a bunch of tanks. As someone else pointed out the light you used could cause them to look more brown inside than they really are.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom