"Safe" weight distribution? Weight ditching question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Professor Nemo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a question about weight distribution and weight ditching. I went diving yesterday and through a series of events accidently figured out my proper weight and distribution. I need 8 lbs of weight with a stl 100 tank and al19 redundant air system, left side tank mounted. The thing is that I use a back inflate bc and in order for it to be properly adjusted to allow me to float vertically at the surface all my weight needs to be in my rear ballast pockets, which cannot be dumped quickly. Does anyone see this as a extremely dangerous exercise since it nullifies my ability to drop my weight in an emergency, allowing me to quickly rise to the surface i.e. emergency assent? Distribution

I haven't actually worn lead in years

1. Do you have any lead on your rig at all or is your rig with your tanks heavy enough that you don't need lead anywhere?

@BurhanMuntasser

I need to clarify that statement actually. I did wear lead last year as part of NAUI requirements for skills demonstrations when I was creating new demo videos, so that isn't an entirely true statement. Last time I wore a weight belt in OW however was in 2010 when I was working at SeaCamp and had to wear a stab jacket for rescue training.

I dive with a SS backplate, and do not require lead with an AL80 in the salty stuff with a shorty on. Any more exposure in the salty stuff, I'm typically in steel tanks or doubles if in backmount and don't need any ballast. In caves, I'm usually in a drysuit in my sidemount rig, but tanks are heavy enough that I don't need lead there either.

This year some of the exposures are going to be getting pretty long and we will be carrying drop weights with us for deco, but that's more of a comfort accommodation instead of a requirement and will just be weights that get clipped to d-rings for decompression.

The need for ditchable weight is a rather hotly debated topic here on SB. Some - like me or @Akimbo - think that some weight definitely should be ditchable, others don't see any need and use the "balanced rig" argument.

My personal opinion, YMMV, and all that: Ditching weight underwater should be a last resort, because it might (might!) lead to an uncontrolled ascent and a higher risk of DCI. OTOH, I think that the barrier to ditching weight on the surface usually is too high. Getting more positively buoyant, riding higher in the water, can be a very good thing in a surface emergency situation. A belt and some lead don't cost that much, and some shops or national Diving Associations will refund you the cost of new weights, the only requirement being a report on the incident. No questions asked otherwise. The reason is that people have died because they waited to ditch until it was too late.

With my DS and my undergarments, I carry 12# plus 2 kg on my belt. I have some weight on my backplate, but if I put more on the backplate, the rig would just become too heavy for comfort topside. Those 7-8 kg on my belt are a bit much to ditch at depth, but if SHTF I'll probably be happy that I was able to make myself positively buoyant. As the saying goes: they can often cure bent, but it's pretty hard to cure drowned. But I really don't anticipate ditching at depth. OTOH, I regard ditching at the surface a more probable situation.

General rule of thumb is to have ditchable weight equal to the weight of your gas.

So with an AL80, weighted neutral with an empty tank, you would be 6 pounds heavier at the start of the dive. If you have a buoyancy failure at the start, ditch the 6 lbs and you are neutral. End of the dive, no need to ditch weight.

I only use 2-3 lbs in total and none with a BP so I have no ditchable weight. Not a snag, I can swim up 6 lbs on the dives I'm doing.

I have a question about weight distribution and weight ditching. I went diving yesterday and through a series of events accidently figured out my proper weight and distribution. I need 8 lbs of weight with a stl 100 tank and al19 redundant air system, left side tank mounted. The thing is that I use a back inflate bc and in order for it to be properly adjusted to allow me to float vertically at the surface all my weight needs to be in my rear ballast pockets, which cannot be dumped quickly. Does anyone see this as a extremely dangerous exercise since it nullifies my ability to drop my weight in an emergency, allowing me to quickly rise to the surface i.e. emergency assent? Distribution

I'm not overly bothered about the ditchable weights. Do what you want - it doesn't really matter in the bigger picture.

But what's the bit in bold all about? Why do you want to float vertically? If you mean float on your back then just put a bit less gas in your bcd. If you can't make it work just ask someone to show you who does some diving.

he thing is that I use a back inflate bc and in order for it to be properly adjusted to allow me to float vertically at the surface all my weight needs to be in my rear ballast pockets, which cannot be dumped quickly.
I used to use a back inflate BCD (ScubaPro Nighthawk), and when I did, I needed 8 pounds of weight with an AL 80 and a 3mm wetsuit. I wore 2 pounds in each of the integrated pockets and the two trim pockets. I had no trouble hanging around on the surface comfortably because I had used back inflate BCDs my entire diving life and nobody had told me you couldn't float vertically on the surface with them. Not knowing it was not possible, I had always done it by simply positioning my body to make it happen. You just lean back a little.

i am going to assume you are already certified and are not still doing your open water training course.

as stated by someone above, the whole "ditchable" weight question is debated by many and i am not going to start that conversation here. for someone just starting out however i think it should be clear that at least some of the weight used should be able to be released if needed. so in my opinion, you def need to make a change. if you are using only 8lbs of lead then i would suggest you be able to ditch all 8 lbs. especially if you are diving in a wet suit and not a drysuit.

as far as needing to put the lead in the rear pockets to be able to float vertically at the surface......it may be that you are over inflating. a common mistake with new divers in a rear inflate bcd is that they put so much air in the wing that it tips them forward. they feel like they have to struggle to stay upright. i dive a rear inflate bcd. but i only put enough air in it at the surface to keep my head above water without finning. and as boulderjohn said.....you should be able to lean back a bit. i love floating on mine.

In my drysuit and back inflate BCD even with lots of lead in the weight pouches I can float vertically with the BCD fully inflated. I just need to pull my knees up a bit for balance. My chin is well above the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom