Salt or Fresh Water?

What makes for better diving --salt or freshwater?

• The ocean any day!

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • Keep mine fresh!

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • Freshwater, but only if it is warm.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fresh or Salt, if it's deeper than the swimmin pool, I'm in it!

Votes: 77 62.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a native New England Yankee, make me a Salty Dog. If I wanted to see perfectly intact wrecks, I would go to the local marina and stare at the ones on the shore and not worry about rinsing anything. :lol: IMHO the real beauty of wrecks is nature's reclamation of them. Yup, I'll take the Block Island Sound any day. :eek:ut:

:mean:

Had to go with both, I have done more in the ocean but I will dive in fresh water. I get to see more and go much deeper in the ocean and I have many more wrecks to vist.

Rich :mean:

The majority of my dives have been fresh, but I prefer salty (I'm working on changing that ratio). But then then again, I would also prefer the pool instead of the couch.

Jarhead

If you're a diver, you take what you can get. That being said, my first two years diving were all in fresh, and I loved it. The past 18 years have been all salt, and I gotta say it's way better than freshwater. The ocean has so much more life. It also has an energy that you can almost feel, which is something I've never experienced in freshwater.

Salt water any day of the week for me! I won't turn away a dive in fresh water, but my preference is the ocean. Salt water lets me dive deeper and I don't freeze to death.

Originally posted by chepar
I wouldn't be averse to trying some dives in fresh water - just as long as I was assured the leeches to humans ratio worked in our favor. :D
80% of my diving has been in fresh water and I have never seen a leech... BUT I was in salt water and got sea lice!! YUCK...

If it's wet and deep enough to get my head under, Hey I'm there.

If it is wet, I will dive in it!
Some of it is more fun than others.:D

For fun diving I want pretty good visibility. That is I want to see something before I touch it.

As for the hazardous creatures, in fresh water the worst things are usually microscopic. In Salt water most of the nasty critters are big enough to see and avoid.

Contaminated water diving gets VERY equipment and procedure intensive and is not a lot of fun, but it does pay well. :D

If it's warm, wet and offers good vis with lots of interesting sights I'm happy to dive it - salt or fresh alike.

Not so thrilled with the idea of freezing half to death in either category, or groping around in a haze of sediment or worse.

Fresh has real advantages in gear maintenance - most of the time - and it's a little more accessible from where I live. But the Ocean does have the edge on pretty marine life.

Choices choices!!

If it is deep enough to cover my tank, count me in!

Nothing is nicer to my "historian" side than to see a hundred year old or better wreck in fresh water. Now that the Zebra Mussels have cleaned the water, get them out of here and I will be ecstatic.

But, warm salt water is SO much less effort to gear up in and the diving just seems easier to me.

So, count me in with the majority.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom