Salt Water Sting on the eyes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Brad

Reaction score
Let me first say that I love diving in Salt Water!!! Having said that the one thing I have to deal with is the stink of Salt Water on my eyes. For some reason my eyes are more sensitive than others. Even as a kid growing up in So Cal my eyes stung at the beach.

Ok so now for my question..............what recommendations do you have for over sensitive eyes so I can enjoy my dive more???

Happy Diving

Scuba Brad:
<snip>Ok so now for my question..............what recommendations do you have for over sensitive eyes so I can enjoy my dive more???
Happy Diving
Ummmmm, let's see. Maybe dive fresh water . . . or keep your head on the surface . . . or aquaseal your eyes before you dive. That's about all I can think of.

Hope this helps :D

Thanks Fran that was really helpful.

Why are your eyes getting salt water in them? Does your mask leak? Maybe you need a new mask?

I also have sensitive eyes and carry eye drops with me at pretty much all times (purse, dive bag, etc). I've found that I can't use all types of drops though. Visine actually feels worse so I use Clear Eyes.

I found if I took my mask off during my descent and opened my eyes to allow them to adjust to the salt water then replaced my mask they didn't burn once the initial shock wore off. When I leave the mask on and have to clear a bit of water out my eyes burn the whole time even if there wasn't enough water in the mask to get in my eyes.
Ber :lilbunny:

Do your eyes sting all the time? Most times it stings a little on the first exposure of the day but it goes away. If mine stung bad every time I got salt water in them I'd go see an eye doctor. Something ain't right.

I have the same issue. Stings really bad; however the stinging
is when the salt water is clearing from the eyes, not while the
eyes are actually in the salt water. I found that if you are careful
you can let in a little water to clear the mask and if you keep the
amount of water down and move the mask slowly while looking
down, you can avoid getting any water in your eyes.

Seems to work for me.

--- bill

There is also a possibility of using too much DeFog or not rinsing appropriately after use. I had that happen with the long lasting DeFog one trip. :14:

That's a good point Dan (happened to me). However I think he said his eyes burned as a kid at the beach. So I think they asked the right questions - Why are you getting water in your eyes, Have you seen an optometrist, etc...

If, like Ber, your eyes burn even being close to salt water, I would suggest trying the drops and visiting your doc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom