Same regulator as octopus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001 once bubbled...
This has to do with the fact that Apeks and Aqualung LX 1st stages are "overbalanced" that is to say that the IP increases a bit as your depth increases. You can debate *why* they did that but the fact is that this means taht your 2nd stage needs to be a *balanced* design. A normal unbalanced downstream 2nd (like a Mares) could theoretically start to bubble a bit at depth if you attached it to an Apeks or an Aqualung LX 1st.
R..

Actually Apex and Aqualung have been using unbalanced second stages on thier overbalanced 1st stages for many years without problems. The balanced 2nd stages are a fairly new addition.

It is not a requirement to use a balanced 2nd stage with a overbalanced 1st.

Hallmac

Boogie711 once bubbled...
There's no difference between an ATX50 octo and an ATX200 octo. They're identical.

Sure are... Well, with the exception of the fact that the 200 and 50 have different faceplates with different trim (the 50 has a black trim, while the 200 has a "chrome" trim underneath the faceplate). Also, the 50 does not have the little aluminum heat sink thingie to warm the air coming into the second stage (right at the hose connection) while the 200 does. Of course, not that it really makes any difference...

Oh yeah... The 200 has all aluminum knobs, whereas the 50 has chrome over steel knobs... Apparently it's to save weight, although I can't tell the gram or two difference, even if I'm looking for it.

...And while I haven't had either of them open, I understand that the 200 has a replacable valve seat contraption that's not replaceable in the 50... Or that you'd have to replace the whole assembly in the 50... Or something like that. The bottom line, I understand, is that the 200 has one more part that's servicable over the 50, although I don't quite understand the need for it.

...And the 200 comes with the ATX200 first stage, where the 50 comes with either the DS4 or the DST, your choice. The 200 has been touted as having better hose routing (and my main reason for buying it over the 50) than the DS4 or DST - although none of them have bad hose routing.

...But yeah, other than that, they're identical. :D

...Sorry, just had to "get a burr" for a moment. :D

BTW, I just purchased an ATX200 1st and 2nd, with an ATX50 as a backup. :D I'm impressed.

Also... If anyone ever needs paperwork on rebuilding the Apeks regs - whether you need instruction, schematics, parts, etc... I just put all of that information up on my website. Scubapro too...

Boogie - If that was you trying to be nice then I'd hate to be around you when were trying to mean! Come on, it wasn't a friendly post. I'm sorry if I took it the wrong way an all, but it did seem a little "ne ne ne ne ne" :blahblah: to me!

I also never said my ATX 40 was poor quality or that there "was anything wrong with it" at all. I know it's the bees knees for an octo. I was however saying it was not as wonderful as the ATX 200 and I didn't see the need for it to be. Safetywise it's just as good agreed, but extra bits for a nicer breathe etc. are not needed on an oto IMO. All I care about is if my buddy can have a safe ascent on my air supply, not weather his mouth is all comfy and the air feels like magic coming through the spare reg he's using.

Diver0001 - Just my opinion on the best manufacturers of regs, from the experience I've had, the observations I've made, the talk I've heard, and the reviews I've read. That is not to say that ALL regs from the companies I reccommended are ALL fantastic and ALL those from the companies I adivsed to avoid are crap, just that, in general, considering reliability, performance and value.... that's my advice.

Mixing and matching regs and first stages for someone who isn't trained in reg maintainance and doesn't know how to tune...isn't a good idea IMO. You'd be lucky to find someone who can service the entire thing and may have to get your reg serviced by two different people every year. But thanks for filling me/ us in about the IPs in regs etc. I really didn't know all that :) :thumb:

SeaJay - will take a look at your website about Apeks maintainance etc. Thanks :wink: Have fun with your new reg - it's simply the dogs bollo**s! :thumb:

I wonder why they don't they put a hose protector on the LP hose? Mine and my man's came without.

Lisa

Hallmac once bubbled...

Actually Apex and Aqualung have been using unbalanced second stages on thier overbalanced 1st stages for many years without problems. The balanced 2nd stages are a fairly new addition.

It is not a requirement to use a balanced 2nd stage with a overbalanced 1st.

Yup. As a matter of fact contrary to the post above yours, I have a Mares Axis as my octopus with my Aqualung LX.

Marc

Just bought an Apeks in the UK and was told that the Health & Safety Executive (they who coddle the dumb) have stated that it is unwise to mix and match 1st & 2nd stages and so dissuade retailers from selling such kit (after enquiring about having a Mares octo).

My guess is that they decided that there are too many variables for the average diver out there to get their head around so they need a bit of hand holding.

Second hand info so may be rubbish, if so feel free to contradict.

bermudaskink once bubbled...
Just bought an Apeks in the UK and was told that the Health & Safety Executive (they who coddle the dumb) have stated that it is unwise to mix and match 1st & 2nd stages and so dissuade retailers from selling such kit (after enquiring about having a Mares octo).

My guess is that they decided that there are too many variables for the average diver out there to get their head around so they need a bit of hand holding.

Second hand info so may be rubbish, if so feel free to contradict.

Smells like a LDS fib to me.

The Health & Safety Executive is an occupational workplace watchdog, and doesn't regulate diving. I read through what I could find on line and there wasn't any regualtions regarding equipment - more on reporting, certifications etc.

Marc

FLL Diver once bubbled...

The Health & Safety Executive is an occupational workplace watchdog, and doesn't regulate diving.

Under the sea (diving) is an occupational workplace for some... they may have something to say on it, but it most certainly is not binding for recreational divers.

First I've ever heard that you can't mix brands??

I've got lots of dives on my SC 1st stage with Sherwood shadow, my pony is AL 1st stage and oceanic 2nd.

no problems at all....

A guy at a garage told me once I had to always use the same brand of oil in my truck, I only got 13 years and 250,000 miles out of it before I sold it (it still runs fine) I guess he must be selling regulators now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom