Same regulator as octopus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sean326 once bubbled...
A guy at a garage told me once I had to always use the same brand of oil in my truck, I only got 13 years and 250,000 miles out of it before I sold it (it still runs fine) I guess he must be selling regulators now.

That is actually the best way to prevent oil leaks, not prolong the life. Certain additives once mixed together create a compound that attacks the gaskets and creates the leak.

Hallmac

I dive an ATX 100 and ATX 40 octo. I never considered a different regulator, but I got to thinking last weekend when I was down 70 ft. and the water temp broke the thirty's... Does my octo offer the same freeze protection as the 100. The answer is no. Do any of you see this as a major concern?

It will not be your octo that freezes up, it would be your 1st stage that freezes up, if you have two divers breathing off it, and one or both are breathing hard and fast.

The only time I have seen regs freeze up (they freeze open) is during air sharing drills.

Actually, the second stage can and will freeze, if enough gas is going thru it. The first stage could be fine.

the ATX-40 does have a heat exchanger, and the difference between it and the 100 second stage is very little. Its not anything to worry about. I use ATX-40's in 38 degree water, and never had a problem with them yet...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom