saw a seal at cove 2! (where do they usually go?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yukoneer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Late evening 7/16, i was on shore at cove 2, just appreciating the scenery (i had completed my dive earlier) and I saw my first pacific northwest seal. It was in the no-dive zone, right smack in the middle between the dock and the yellow buoys. It stayed on surface for about 30 seconds, and disappeared. I was glad to see it, but disappointed to see it vanish without any trance.

I'm only living in seattle temporarily for the summer, so I want to get at least a photo or two of the seals (it don't have to be underwater, a shore photo shot opportunity would be fine for me). Does anyone know where I can find/see/photo seals before I move back to the east coast in september?

(by the way, if any of you here were there today, it's very easy to identify me - I am deaf, and my buddy(girlfriend) is also deaf - we might go tomorrow, so if you see a couple signing, say hi!)

Oh boy this should be enjoyable for the ferry captain. I miss junior!

yukoneer:
(by the way, if any of you here were there today, it's very easy to identify me - I am deaf, and my buddy(girlfriend) is also deaf - we might go tomorrow, so if you see a couple signing, say hi!)

Yukoneer...

I am deaf and diver too :scubadive I have been diving in Puget Sound area for years. I maybe go to Cove 2 tomorrow morning Monday 18th. welcome to us. Let me know if you want.

WADiverBob

Last week at cove I turned around to swim out after putting on my fins and was face to face with a seal. Unfortunately my breath must have smelled more like corndogs than herring because he quickly ducked under and disappeared. Perhaps it's the same guy. And I don't know about you but I much prefer him sneaking up on me while on the surface than down under...keeps the dry suit...uh...dry

Thank goodness I was diving a wetsuit when Junior was honing his "scare the living heck out of divers" skill.

I taught a Rescue Class in Cove 3 this weekend and had that seal with us almsot the entire day Sunday.

I don't think it's Junior as he doesn't seem to be quite as friendly....cute little guy though.

yukoneer:
It was in the no-dive zone, right smack in the middle between the dock and the yellow buoys.

I suppose being a seal and therefore not being able to read the signs is a valid excuse for trespassing! :wink:

If you want to activly find the little guys go Salmon fishing. Dad, bro and I see them d*mn near every time we go out. Pisses Dad off to no end (they'll steal Salmon right off your line, not to mention the danger of hooking one with a trolled Herring :11: ).

Last time they went out they almost ran over some Porpoises. It's amazing the things you can encounter:
Coast Guard Fast Attack Boat
U.S. Navy nuclear Submarine + support boats
every marine mamal except orcas
crab (yes, caught on a line)
sponges
divers (haven't caught one yet - I wonder what the weight record is for WA? :wink: )
Ratfish
Dogfish
Catfish...wait...

Just imagine what they'd attract if they took up diving!

I was enjoying a nice brunch at saltys last weekend with family and i saw a seal cruising by. There were some divers in the water i noticed also. Seal stayed pretty much on serface and then when he got to the far side of saltys twoards the duwamish side he disapered. I also noticed there were a lot of fishermen out in the sound doing some fishing, (glow in dark fish in this area of the sound) so the seal may be here for some fishing fun lol.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom