Scuba gear for Southwest Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WVScubaSteve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I’m a recent ow certified diver curious as to what to wear as far as a wetsuit/rash guard for scuba and or spearfishing off the coast of Naples/Marco Island in late August. Any suggestions on who to contact for this experience. Thanks

Last edited:
I've only swam and snorkeled there years ago, but recall the water is plenty hot, especially that time of year. I would wear just a body suit (rashguard) for protection from the stingees.
Of course, someone may even suggest a drysuit when "proper exposure suit" questions arise.

I use the NOAA buoys a lot for travel to the Keys to check water temp:
NDBC - Station NPSF1 Recent Data

Keep in mind this is surface temp, so 40ft+ down it can be a few degrees colder. I would have less trust especially in middle of summer when the air temp is really hot & the sun is shining.

Some buoys also have wind speed & direction, so you can estimate your waves in the area.

A rash guard should work until around September or October, then I got to a 3 mil. I've become a wimp, so after October, I just go dry until around march, then back to 3 mil.

This is for the Venice area.

In general a 3mm suit is good for south Florida throughout the warmer months, bumping up to a 5mm, (or possibly even 7mm) in the colder months when the water temps finally cool off, especially in the Gulf.

I personally dive a rash guard if a single short dive and the water is warm, but doing 2+ dives or a longer dive requires 3mm minimum. Sometimes I use a 5mm, but if I am diving in cold enough water for a 7mm, I just use my dry suit instead.

Thank you for your input, greatly appreciated.

Water is 80 degrees here and it will get warmer, it just started getting really hot a week or 2 ago. I don't wear a wetsuit right now but as we get towards the end of the summer the jellyfish will come out and you will want at least a rash guard. It doesn't even start to cool off until after halloween.

Great info, would a full rashguard be best or just a top. Very anxious to spearfish like we communicated about earlier or at the very least pole spear some lion fish

Great info, would a full rashguard be best or just a top. Very anxious to spearfish like we communicated about earlier or at the very least pole spear some lion fish

Late in the summer you will want a full body. One time I was out with a buddy and we were on a boat with some guys that weren't comfortable going to the 90 ft wrecks. So the captain dropped them at the shallower site and then ran us out to the deeper site. I did not have my rash guard on. Once he dropped us he went back to pick them up and then was coming back to get us.

We surfaced and were hanging on to a morning ball and some current came through, along with a very large patch of jelly fish. Needless to say it felt like an eternity waiting for the boat to get back, which in reality was only about 10 minutes. I wish I would have had a full guard on for sure.

So if you think you will be doing some colder water dives you could get a 3mm wetsuit as suggested to save some money.

We can def try to get out when you come down, I actually have a boat and do go out sometimes on my boat with just 1 other person. But I am not sure me and you should do that because of experience, when I go with just one other person that person has a ton of experience. I am fine in the water but I have never had the responsibility of looking after someone else either. I am not sure I ready to be responsible for that.

We can def get out, just need to get another guy or two to go with us, which can most likely be worked out without a problem. Please remind me about 2 weeks before you come so I can start putting a mini trip together.

That sounds awesome and as far as responsibility I totally understand and wouldn’t expect to put any pressure on someone having to worry about me. Experience is key and I’m joining my county dive team and we are putting in trips so I should be getting some deeper dives in. I’m comfortable in the water and currently working on my trim/bouyancy control so I use less air in order to enjoy my new passion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom