Scuba Gear on a budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My tip is shopping for "last year's model" closeouts and negotiating on a package deal.

For instance:

I was able to buy my Oceanic Delta 4 / FDX10 w/DVT for $280 new from an authorized dealer with full warranty. In this case the Delta 4 is arguably better than the 4.1. I got the shop to throw in the Alpha 8 octo for $80.

Oceanic GEO 250 NAVCON for $299 which included the compass and SPG, again authorized dealer full warranty.

Because I bought those items, I was able to package an Islander 2 BC from the same shop for $275.

In my search for gear I've found craigslist to be a great source. Combine that with CrazedList.org and a good RSS reader such as FeedDemon and you can easily stay on top of a lot of different craigslist searches in different craigslist regions. Worked great for me to get my Vytec DS brand new in box at a decent price and a Oceanic Pro Plus 2 for only $250. Now I just have to decide which one I want to keep :)

Craig list is great if you can get anybody to reply & Allot of the time they don't want to ship. I have better luck here or on Ebay.

Nice description for a rational "Enterprise like" budget.
Diving, at least for me, is a lust activity, so, rational thoughts has a limited influence in the scuba gear purchase behavior.
I've bought an Oceanic Veo 180NX dive computer. Do I need a PDC ? Any rational analysis would result in NO, no way. It was an incredible pleasure to receive the PDC and the first dives with it.
We are talking of pleasure, budgeting pleasure is difficult.

I am have recently started acquiring gear and this thread has been helpful. BUT I dont think necessarily looking solely for name brand gear is the key here. I have found that knowing why you are looking for some things allows som leeway regarding brands, which subsequently allows for greater savings.

I will probably spend about 1200 total on every piece of gear i need (excluding drysuit), and it wont even require me to run to leisure pro--a move which might save me money in the long run. I have searched around quite a bit on the internet, gotten a lot of advice from other divers, started a relationship with a person at one of my LDSs, and began my entire search with what I wanted to achieve in the water (both now and in the long term).

Sometimes I think people are taken aback by the flash of certain companies when they are new to the sport and investing in gear early on. It almost happened to me, but I was patient, tried to get lots of feedback, and asked a lot of n00bish type questions. As a result, now I think I have been able to find a very cheap (albeit quality) gear config.

Thanks for the Thread, though. :D

Oh and BTW, if anyone here is looking into a new set of gear and want to know where I have found really good pricing, you can PM. I havent had a whole lot of experience with the gear, but I can tell you at least where you can find some really good pricing (i have spent a lot of time looking, probably to the detriment of my studies :shocked2:)

In my search for gear I've found craigslist to be a great source. Combine that with CrazedList.org and a good RSS reader such as FeedDemon and you can easily stay on top of a lot of different craigslist searches in different craigslist regions. Worked great for me to get my Vytec DS brand new in box at a decent price and a Oceanic Pro Plus 2 for only $250. Now I just have to decide which one I want to keep :)

I'm in the San Diego/Riverside County area of Southern California and it seems like there are a number of people listing gear on Craigs List that was "Used to complete Certification Only". It seems that people have a tendancy to rush out and buy a ton of gear before they decide if diving is really for them. Their loss, my gain? Seems so :D

I'm totally a budget diver. My cheap-o set-up:

- Mares Flexa 8.6.5 suit (this is my biggest splurge)... $209 at Diver-Supply (regularly goes for 350+
- Mares Puck computer... $79 NEW from LeisurePro via eBay
- Cressi Aquapro BC... $80 (eBay)... had it serviced for $30. Came with a few accessories.
- TUSA Liberator fins... $35 from a scuba shop tent sale in FL. (added replacement straps)
- Craigslist: Bought a Scubapro R190/MK2/Octo setup with a guage console and compass for $100. Had it serviced.
- a dive bag with 7mm hood/boots/gloves/weight belt and catch bag from a craigslister for $60 (he was retiring from diving)
- Made a dive flag out of a 5 gallon bucket and a small inner tube. Yard sale dive flag... $5
- 2 tanks: 1 AL80 given to me by a friend. 1 Faber 72HP craigslist again (current hydro/viz) for $150.

I dive whenever I can and love my setup. And I'm equipped for around $700

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom