Scuba Gear Package - Where to start?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mk25/ S600

Many people consider this a great regulator… $400 (used) but more then likely just a return that was opened and sent back…
Scubapro MK25/S 600 Regulator DIN

R095 Octo

New, didn’t feel like looking for a used deal… $150 (running total $550)
Scubapro R095 Octopus, Yellow

Wow, thanks, I like this setup.

Would I need to get it rebuilt since it is used? Not familiar with how this works? Also, how often am I supposed to get my reg serviced? How much does that cost?

Mk25/ S600

Many people consider this a great regulator… $400 (used) but more then likely just a return that was opened and sent back…
Scubapro MK25/S 600 Regulator DIN

I called in LeisurePro about this piece and they said it was a European model and I would need an adapter if I'm diving US. Any idea if I should continue with the purchase or get a model I'm used to working with?

Yes, you would need an adapter to dive with lame Yoke-type tanks, it will cost around $50 extra. But you will lose more to convert Yoke regulators to DIN if you will ever further proceed into diving, technical or wreck/cave.
So I suggest buying DIN regulators and an Yoke adapter.

Me and my wife have been diving for a while now. After our recent diving trip to Grand Cayman, we realized that renting equipment isn't the way to go on these scuba trips. We could've been well on our way to owning our own equipment after dive trips to Cozumel (3x), GC, Thailand, etc... It's time to pull the trigger.

We are in the market to purchase BC's, regulator, octopus, guage, etc, combo but don't know where to start. It seems like there are thousands of providers. How do we go about this? We have a budget in mind.

We don't want to spend more than $1000 (USD) per person for the combo.
We would like to shy away from Backplate BCD's.
We prefer a BCD with integrated weights as opposed to Weight Belts.
We both dive Nitrox

Also, Is there a time of the year that scuba diving equipment is the cheapest?
Should we shy away from ordering online due to fit? My wife at times has trouble getting the right size fit.
My buddy and his wife got gear together and got a massive discount on what I'm looking for, but that was years back and he went into a local dive shop in Florida, not sure if online will provide something like this.

Thanks for your tips.

Backplate is also the easiest to adjust to fit for all shapes and sizes, but if you dont want to go with a plate and harness, a back inflate might work for you.

Zeagle Covert BCD

Oceanic Biolite Travel BCD

the dgx deep 6 package is one of the best value setups around, but you might also want to wait for black friday sales on hog/deep 6.

DGX Custom - Deep Six DGX Streamlined OW Reg Package

if you still wanted to go used on the reg, maybe consider the sherwood brut.

Sherwood Brut Pro Regulator

Sherwood Brut Octopus

then add a nitrox computer

Sherwood Amphos Wrist Computer

also if you are going to get everything from leisurepro, call them up for a package discount

Last year, I wanted to purchase two complete sets of gear for my grandsons. I knew exactly what I wanted and made a complete listing of the quantity, manufacturer, model number, and description of every thing that I wanted. It was a big order. Not being in a hurry, I sent the list to about a half-dozen on-line dealers. It took about ten days to hear back from all of them, but I was completely surprised to see that prices ranged from full retail to about a 25% discount. I purchased from the low bidder and was totally satisfied with the order.

If you decide to do something like that, you might also ask the supplier if they can suggest alternate, but equivalent, items to your list for even additional savings. When buying a complete set (or sets) of gear, a merchant usually has more pricing flexibility than a 'one at a time' sale. Many merchants have minimum sale price agreements with their suppliers that they jeopardize if they sell for less. When you order a variety of manufacturers and gear, you give shop the ability to massage the price and still make a good profit. Don't be in a hurry.

I have also bought used equipment from ebay, craigslist, and the like. You can usually save a considerable amount if you are patient and wait for a good deal, but you have got to know the details and regular pricing of what you want.

Wow, thanks, I like this setup.

Would I need to get it rebuilt since it is used? Not familiar with how this works? Also, how often am I supposed to get my reg serviced? How much does that cost?

With a regulator like this I would look at it, and judge if it need a rebuild... They may just be looking to offload a ton of these, so they're selling them as 'used'. Along those lines, many people state you don't need to service your regulator nearly as often as recommended by the manufacture. That's really up to you, do some more reading on it, ask questions, and buy a cheap ($10-$20) IP Gauge. An IP gauge will give you some insight into how your regulators are doing, without opening them up at all.

I called in LeisurePro about this piece and they said it was a European model and I would need an adapter if I'm diving US. Any idea if I should continue with the purchase or get a model I'm used to working with?

I've never dove with a DIN to yoke converter on a regulator. I've read that people don't like them because they can allow the back of the regulator to 'hit' or 'bump' the back of your head/ neck. Again YMMV, but that's what I know about them... With that, a regulator set up like this can go both ways (working with both DIN and yoke tanks), the 'old school' yoke regulator can't work with a DIN setup, so there's one positive to DIN...

Just throwing some other thing out there... with your rental BC's, are they often 'jacket style' (which I'd suspect) or back inflate?

Any regulator you buy will likely be better then the rental ones your used to... even a cheapo set will be super nice when tuned, and cared for properly by it's owner...

Look used - we purchased both my and my wife’s set used for $500 each. BC, regs, computer, bags, weights, plus a bunch of “little” stuff. Both times it was local people getting rid of equipment they didn’t use anymore(had not dived for 4+ yrs or so)Both lightly used. Even factoring the costs of regulator service I figured I got it for 1/3rd of new price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom