Scuba kit package vs piece by piece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back plate and wing. You will not regret it. Totally modular. You can build your kit piece by piece to fit your needs. It can grow/change into what you might need for different types of diving.

As for "Make your 2nd purchase FIRST.", its a good catch phrase, however since a good portion of divers drop out of diving, it just puts possibly better gear on the used market. If you stay in diving, you will find uses for your older gear when you upgrade, if you don't wear it out. At this point you just need decent gear until you find that the type of diving you do requires more, it may never require more. Spend the saved money on diving and work from there.
Bob

Bob, I respectfully disagree with you. Better gear is not necessarily more expensive than lesser gear. Many BCs are more expensive than BP&W. Better performing regulators are often no more expensive (and sometimes less) than cheaper ones. Especially, if you are able to purchase demos and closeouts. Also I don't know what use someone would have for their old gear. When I switched to a BP&W, I had no use anymore for my old BC. When I replaced the regulators my old ones sat in the bottom of the dive bag as a backup until I sold them and bought backups that matched my primaries.

I bought this package 1 year ago, just got certified in Feb. I have 16 logged dives on it and everything has worked great so far. Have not and probably won't do any real cold water dives with it. Have not used nitrox setting on Leanardo yet, next vacation. Light was a bonus I wouldn't have bought right away and is great for looking under ledges. After seeing someone puke through a rental reg, I'm glad i had my own. So for someone just starting out, I think its great, as I learn more, I may upgrade someday.

Better gear is not necessarily more expensive than lesser gear

I do not disagree, however the more expensive gear will be advertized and sold as better regardless of the truth. A new diver does not have the experience with gear necessary to refute the claim.

Many BCs are more expensive than BP&W.

Which is fine if one wants a BP/W, just because I wear one does not mean everyone should have one, it is a personal choice. I've run across a lot of jackets that cost less than a BP/W, without looking at used.

Better performing regulators are often no more expensive (and sometimes less) than cheaper ones. Especially, if you are able to purchase demos and closeouts.

Again we agree. It does depend upon what you run across when looking.

Also I don't know what use someone would have for their old gear.

I have my '80's Sherwood Magnum on a pony bottle as it served me flawlessly the entire time it was my primary reg for decades.

My old gear, including wetsuits, regs, weights, BC's, lights, and so on, have been used over the years to help people like the OP get out diving and trying different gear while they sort out what they will ultimately buy, as well as backups for my dive buddys.

When I replaced the regulators my old ones sat in the bottom of the dive bag as a backup until I sold them and bought backups that matched my primaries.

Whether one keeps an old reg as a backup, uses it on a pony, or lends it to a friend while their reg is in the shop is their choice. I've found its better to have an extra than not.

Having someone buy their second set of gear when they lack the knowledge to buy their first set of gear seems strange to me.

Bob

If you read the threads here about regulators the ScubaPro MK25 keeps coming up. So do Atomics and Apeks.

Between me and @Bob DBF you have two votes for the Sherwood Magnum. Recent threads will reveal more votes in it's favor.

I recently bought a Magnum first stage on eBay for about $30. It looks and operates like new. I also bought a Magnum second stage. It looks like it had barely been used, if at all. It was also about $30. Both these prices included shipping. I like the Sherwood Magnums because it is "positive pressure" sealed in the first stage. It has a small one-way valve that emits a steady stream of bubbles while diving. Supposedly you will lose about one or two breaths during an entire dive. My 30-year-old first stages look brand new insides. The second stage easily unscrews by hand so you can very easily check for debris and condition between dives plus you can allow it to dry more thoroughly to help prevent corrosion. My girlfriend is using the regs from eBay and it took me 62 years to find her so I don't want anything to happen to her. :)

If you read the threads here about regulators the ScubaPro MK25 keeps coming up. So do Atomics and Apeks.

Between me and @Bob DBF you have two votes for the Sherwood Magnum. Recent threads will reveal more votes in it's favor.

I recently bought a Magnum first stage on eBay for about $30. It looks and operates like new. I also bought a Magnum second stage. It looks like it had barely been used, if at all. It was also about $30. Both these prices included shipping. I like the Sherwood Magnums because it is "positive pressure" sealed in the first stage. It has a small one-way valve that emits a steady stream of bubbles while diving. Supposedly you will lose about one or two breaths during an entire dive. My 30-year-old first stages look brand new insides. The second stage easily unscrews by hand so you can very easily check for debris and condition between dives plus you can allow it to dry more thoroughly to help prevent corrosion. My girlfriend is using the regs from eBay and it took me 62 years to find her so I don't want anything to happen to her. :)

James, there is nothing wrong with a Sherwood Magnum. I own one myself among my collection of regulators. The problem is that in the older models the positive pressure was handled through a filter in the piston. This was a carry-over from the early days when they press-fitted the filter on the piston so the piston would be changed on every overhaul. If the filter gets plugged then the piston needs to be replaced, which is a problem because Sherwood doesn't make that part anymore. I had my piston replaced as did many other divers. The newer versions are better because the filter was moved to the body and can be replaced. The latest version uses a Schrader valve which is even better. So the OP needs to have some knowledge of the Sherwood line.

Having someone buy their second set of gear when they lack the knowledge to buy their first set of gear seems strange to me.

Bob, the point is for the person to get the knowledge before they purchase rather than just purchasing a package or what the dive shop recommends. Ideally, the new diver would either find a mentor or educate themselves on the different types of diving and what they want to do. Many divers drop out after a few years, for those that stay on they often wind up replacing their gear because it does not suit them anymore. That is fine if they can repurpose the gear but many can't and wind up selling it for 30 cents on the dollar like another poster mentioned.

I haven't read the entire thread, so I apologize if I flog the deceased equine. Used is okay if you know what you are looking for, but as a newbie you could invest in some real clunkers, like a 30 year old equipment or tanks they will not fill. Having used gear serviced needs to be taken into account, also.

Buy local, support the shop that will fill your tanks, yes it might cost more, but they may be willing to match prices. And when they are gone you will have to find anew shop.,, My shop has given me deals based on my being a regular. Don't window shop if you turn around and buy it online. They worked for you, give them the business.

I think Scuba gear is fundamental; without it we can't jump or dive. Scuba diving gear is made of some truly sturdy stuff; equip controllers are machined from strong squares of metal.
And if you need the basic beginner setup then you should get wetsuit, dive computer, BCD and regulator setup in your kit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom