Scuba Toys . com

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just bought my reg from Scubatoys and finally tried it out in Vancouver Island, B.C. Everything worked great! Great prices, great people. I will definitely buy from them again!!

Just bought a reg, octo, comp and bc from them. Best prices you can find. Everything came assembled with manufac warranties. Everyone was really helpful. Will definitely buy there again.

Sorry to be the one that rather would use bitter words.
Reading this thread I checked the Scuba toys. And I found out that ordering anything as a person from oversees is not that easy.

Quote from the ScubaToys FAQ:
What about overseas orders?
We have had some recent problems with overseas orders. Between possible credit card fraud, and delays in shipping we have had to set a new policy that we can only accept overseas orders if they are prepaid by international wire transfer, or US certified funds.

But watching news, reading newspapers I know one thing for sure - the biggest credit card frauds took place in....the United States. And this doesn't change. So why Scuba Toys don't ask US citizens to prepay by the money transfer?
If one of the reasons is to minimize the risk of card fraud this should be the first action undertaken by the shop. Or maybe I'm having problems with logical thinking.

I'm sorry because I wanted to order some things but with such a lot of trouble I have to go through it's not for me. But anyway I wish you luck and do hope you would change your policy - after all there are also plenty of divers all over the world.
Mania

Just bought an Aeris AI computer from Scubatoys.... Ordered one day, and received the unit the next!!!

Great price and manufactures warranty!!!!

mania -

I can't speak for Scubatoys, but being that I work for a credit card company I can tell you that the legal hassle of dealing with overseas fraud is substantially more difficult in some cases than domestically. Amongst other reasons, varying litigation and civil court processes are to blame.

mania:
But watching news, reading newspapers I know one thing for sure - the biggest credit card frauds took place in....the United States. And this doesn't change. So why Scuba Toys don't ask US citizens to prepay by the money transfer?
If one of the reasons is to minimize the risk of card fraud this should be the first action undertaken by the shop. Or maybe I'm having problems with logical thinking.

When I’m not fixing ScubaBoard (or breaking it), I do e-commerce consulting for online businesses that do a total of around $20 million in internet sales. While we do see a good amount of fraud from US orders those tend to be easier to identify and stop with a simple once over review (checking avs codes, billing vs shipping address, shipping method, etc…). Dealing with foreign countries is however much harder in the fight to combat fraud. This is not to say that France makes more fraud than the US but rather that the ability to detect the fraud and recoup from it is harder. I assume if a business was based out of Germany they would happy to ship their but as someone who watches literally 5-10 thousand in fraudulent order attempts every day it is clear that not taking international orders can be easier than trying to screen them all. Hopefully in the future ScubaToys and other merchants will find better ways to screen for fraud (I’ve developed a nice 5-point system myself to track this type of activity) and be able to remove their foreign shipping restrictions.

I spent a fast $700 there myself. I had tried out in the water and read so many reviews of Regs and Computers that my head was swiming. I called down there and one of Larries guys walked me thru all of my questions and the sale went down i recieved my Equipment (Aries2 and a Mares MR22-Abyss combo) in a few days. I could not be happier with the recomondations from the people on this board and the Guys at ScubaToys. I sent Larry a PM thanking him and now I will thank him again in public.
Dave

Actually we do ship overseas a lot... Australia and England seem to be the most active... And I've yet to get burned from any credit card transactions there. We email back and forth, and I can check the address of the credit card holder, and it matches... we're normally comfortable.

If it's a large order going overseas... we just ask for wire transfer - which only costs $10 and guarantees the funds rapidly... I'll even take the $10 out of the price of the product... or just fedex a certified check. Now this isn't worth it on a small purchase - say a few shirts or something... but that's really not worth the shipping costs anyway.

But we've sold a good number of large packages - or even multiple sets (2 or 3 guys will all want stuff and they'll put it through as a large order to save shipping and bank costs) to virtually every country out there.

I know it's a bit of a hassle, but as djac5700 pointed out - the credit card rules are much different overseas... And if we get burned for a couple grand every now and then... it's hard to have our pricing...

I hope one day there is better international credit card protections set up - and I'll look forward to doing more international business. We just got a good discount from international UPS based on our volumes now - so shipping is getting easier and cheaper for us... And some don't mind the wire transfer route... but again I understand it is more difficult.

I believe you are correct Larry. But you still provide a good option to some overseas buyers. Do what you have to, and keep your pricing like it is. Love the new shop awesome, did you get the light thing figured out?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom