Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi

welcome but tell us whats on your mind.

howdy and welcome from southeast florida usa....you have a lot of scuba dives.

Another new term-spambot? Robot sending spam?

Another new term-spambot? Robot sending spam?

It's not a new term. Spambots are all over the internet and frequently inhabit internet discussion boards of all kinds. That's why when you register for a discussion forum there is usually that "Captcha" box or you have to answer a question in order to register. There are even "spam messaging bots" that will engage you on an instant messaging program and realistically respond to your comments to the point that you wouldn't even know you aren't talking to a real person.

In this case I'm going to walk back my comment that @ Ashish Rawat is a spambot because a) you don't see them on this forum due to safeguards in place and b) a spambot would typically post something such as a link to a commercial product or website often along with a canned response to a persons post. This is more likely a real live person who is looking to establish an online presence prior to posting a link to something for sale or perhaps a child who has obtained access to the family computer.

It's not a new term. Spambots are all over the internet and frequently inhabit internet discussion boards of all kinds. That's why when you register for a discussion forum there is usually that "Captcha" box or you have to answer a question in order to register. There are even "spam messaging bots" that will engage you on an instant messaging program and realistically respond to your comments to the point that you wouldn't even know you aren't talking to a real person.

In this case I'm going to walk back my comment that @ Ashish Rawat is a spambot because a) you don't see them on this forum due to safeguards in place and b) a spambot would typically post something such as a link to a commercial product or website often along with a canned response to a persons post. This is more likely a real live person who is looking to establish an online presence prior to posting a link to something for sale or perhaps a child who has obtained access to the family computer.

Maybe he's just a bit shy...like that first day at a new school when you don't know what to say except "hi"...

Back
Top Bottom