Scubapro Galileo 2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I couldn't find it on your website. I have the Luna, do I need to buy a different transmitter? Can you send me a link? Thanks.

Good question! I'd also like to know if the existing transmitter will work.

Good question! I'd also like to know if the existing transmitter will work.
The G2 is on the Scubapro website http://www.scubapro.com/en-US/USA/instruments/computers/products/g2.aspx

The complete manual can be downloaded http://www.scubapro.com/media/711667/13329_-_j-o_g2_eng.pdf

Transmitter compatibility is listed in the manual:
NOTE: There are 3 generations of Smart transmitters: Smart, Smart+ (longer distance) and Smart+ LED. The G2 is compatible with all of these versions

Any computer I would consider purchasing would have all the features I wanted and would be very similar in that respect. The most important variable would be the decompression algorithm used.

Previous Uwatec/Scubapro computers have run ZH-L8 ADT, an 8 compartment model described by Alfred Buhlmann that takes into account temperature, work load or breathing rate, and microbubble formation. Uwatec/Scubapro has been the only brand to use this model.

In the G2, Scubapro has switched to ZH-L16 and added the adaptive features. Heart rate and skin temperature are elective and require the use of a chest strap monitor. Breathing rate requires a transmitter and can be de-emphasized or emphasized from a "neutral" setting. There are 10 microbubble settings starting at 0, or none. They also offer an elective profile dependent intermediate stop as an alternative to traditional deep stop. Planning for this proprietary algorithm would have to be performed on the dive computer, it doesn't appear to be included in the software.

Previous multi-dive testing of Scubapro computers for recreational profiles have revealed ZH-L8 ADT, at it's most liberal settings, to be middle of the road in the spectrum of liberal to conservative. The price information supplied by @beaverdivers of $1050 for the wrist unit and $1450 for the complete package, places it clearly in the spendy category.

What ever happened to the Seabear/Scubapro H3 running Buhlmann ZH-L16C with GF?

Any computer I would consider purchasing would have all the features I wanted and would be very similar in that respect. The most important variable would be the decompression algorithm used.
Previous Uwatec/Scubapro computers have run ZH-L8 ADT, an 8 compartment model described by Alfred Buhlmann that takes into account temperature, breathing rate, and microbubble formation. Scubapro added heart rate. Uwatec/Scubapro has been the only brand to use this model.
Previous multi-dive testing of Scubapro computers for recreational profiles have revealed ZH-L8 ADT, at it's most liberal settings, to be middle of the road in the spectrum of liberal to conservative. The price information supplied by @beaverdivers of $1050 for the wrist unit and $1450 for the complete package, places it clearly in the spendy category.

The older Galileo's allowed a Trimix firmware upgrade to ZHL-16 and I updated my Luna many years ago. For recreational dives, that made the computer somewhat more conservative (similar to switching a Shearwater from rec mode to tech mode). So, from reading the G2's online manual, I don't see any information that indicates any algorithm changes in the G2 compared to what I'm currently running on my old Luna. The descriptions of how the Bubble Levels and PDIS function are still the same. For my Luna, Bubble Level 0 is straight Buhlmann-16, and increasing this setting progressively makes the first "level" stop slightly deeper. When doing tech dives with buddies who are using a Shearwater, I have experimentally found that a setting somewhere between L3 and L5 is usually appropriate (depending on the gradient factors they are using).
If Scubapro were open to input from their users, I would tell them that they have made a mistake by keeping these functions proprietary. The way they describe these features as "adding conservatism" is no longer appropriate and it would be better if they became more transparent and had given the control of these settings to the diver.

So, from currently available information, I conclude that I would only gain 4 things by upgrading: a color screen, a rechargeable battery, the Bluetooth connection, and a side-mount mode. In my opinion, the Galileo has better AI functionality and support than what is currently available from Shearwater, so if Scubapro opened up control of the algorithm, they would definitely have me as a repeat customer.
Of course, the other glaring omission in the manual is not being able to switch gas settings while underwater during the dive. Could someone who has a G2 please test this function and confirm?
One last comment on price; If you look at the German site someone referenced earlier, you will see the G2 with no transmitter is only 799 Euro. For those who have access to the European market, given the current exchange rate, I consider that to be quite a good price (certainly in the same ballpark as a Shearwater).

Last edited:
I would be interested to know if the G2 is more conservative than my Sol due to the new algorithm..

I hope not, as I like the algorithm on my Sol, which is why I did not install the trimix upgrade as I heard that made it more conservative than the standard algorithm.

This is for rec repetitive dives.

I would be interested to know if the G2 is more conservative than my Sol due to the new algorithm..

I hope not, as I like the algorithm on my Sol, which is why I did not install the trimix upgrade as I heard that made it more conservative than the standard algorithm.

This is for rec repetitive dives.
What microbubble level do you dive your Sol on?

I would love to dive the G2 on L0 with all the human factors disabled to compare to DSAT and equivalent ZHL GF levels.

I dive MBL-0 with no human factors enabled. Just the straight algorithm.

This item has me drooling, I must confess. But, actual operation is more important and I don't want a more conservative algorithm.

As I age (hitting 60 soon), I like having the option to implement MB levels, or even adding the human factors, but those only make the computer "more" conservative, which is why I want to start with a more liberal algorithm.

I can tell you from experience that the Scubapro algorithm is more conservative that DSAT. I rented an Oceanic computer set to DSAT in Bali and was amazed by the longer bottom times over 5 days of diving, until a case of skin bends . . .

Far different story in Bonaire over 5 straight days of 3 dives every day, where my Sol gave plenty of bottom time (usually gas limited) and no hint of any physiological issues.

If the Sol and G-2 are the same conservatism, then no issue and I start saving my money!!

If not, I wait to see of S offers a firmware option for the ZHL-8.

Back
Top Bottom