Scubapro Hydros Pro Sizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have ditched weight on the surface during a rescue, mine and the one being rescued, anything to make it easier, no matter how fit you are it is hard work, air in the BCs notwithstanding.

So the
I have ditched weight on the surface during a rescue, mine and the one being rescued, anything to make it easier, no matter how fit you are it is hard work, air in the BCs notwithstanding.

weight pockets you are using are ditchable and you can reach back that far with your hand and be able to ditch them?

Oh brother, here we go again...
Can't somebody ask a question without the bullying and the snotty attitude?
That's bullying?

Or addressing a fundamental principle to proper weighting?

So the

weight pockets you are using are ditchable and you can reach back that far with your hand and be able to ditch them?
I am not using them,Corrupted_Diver is, has them in a position [I think] harder to reach for him.
I was replying to:
If you are diving a balanced rig, why would you ever have to ditch weights underwater?

If you are not diving a balanced rig, why aren't you?
Ditching weight during a rescue scenario, which I have had to do in the past.

Ditching weight during a rescue scenario, which I have had to do in the past.

Which is something you do at the surface. I was asking about underwater, as Burhan mentioned that.

There is the concept of "staged Ballast Weighting" , look it up if you have never heard of it, which was taught in advanced courses not that long ago, which I had to learn.
There are times when ditching some weight underwater is of use.
Edit: Google found this site on the subject, he spelt staged stagged though: Scuba Q and A: When To Drop Your Weight Belt? %

There is the concept of "staged Ballast Weighting" , look it up if you have never heard of it, which was taught in advanced courses not that long ago, which I had to learn.
There are times when ditching some weight underwater is of use.
Edit: Google found this site on the subject, he spelt staged stagged though: Scuba Q and A: When To Drop Your Weight Belt? %

With all do respect to Andy, the probability of being about to lose consciousness and having a BCD (and dry suit) if worn, is pretty darn low, don't you think? I think it would be easier to inflate my wing (or dry suit if worn) to start to send me to the surface than trying to ditch weight regardless of how it is attached.

I dive solo sidemount. Should I have a third cylinder in case both my first stages fail shut?

How many simultaneous emergencies should we prepare for?

A diver should always be able to kick up to the surface.

So I don't see any issues with how the gentleman configured his weight pouches if he dives a balanced rig.

Ok, I respect your point, I will "configure my weight pouches" on the waist strap of the simple harness [have not tried that yet] so I can reach them with ease.
I will let you know how it goes.

Can you ditch the weights from the pockets you have on there easily underwater without struggle and without having to look for them?

Thank you for this question.
It reflects how people positively and effectively contribute and help each other.

I practiced in my living room and was easily able to pinch the buckle open and yank the lanyard upwards.
I left my right hand to toggle the left weight pocket and vice versa.

If I set it after the portion of the belt where the chest harness branches upwards, then it slides around. The pockets do come with a stitched-in tri-glide, but Scuba Pro also stitched in buckle strap keepers, so I cannot slide the tri-glide from either end of of the waist belt.

If I position it between the bcd and where the chest harness branches, it won't move around but the chest strap feels a little constrained/unnatural.
This is clear in the photos.

I tried a few dives with it after the D ring and they did slide towards the center of my waist belt but remained there throughout the dive. I don't do a lot of contortionist moves underwater.

I think I'll pick up a seatbelt clip or MOLLE strap retainer.

Attachments

• upload_2021-3-5_14-29-25.png
    upload_2021-3-5_14-29-25.png
    202 KB · Views: 58
Which is something you do at the surface. I was asking about underwater, as Burhan mentioned that.

Did I mention dropping weight underwater anywhere? I am talking about removing the weights on the surface either in emergencies or when trying to remove the weights to hand over to the divemaster on the boat before climbing back on the boat or similar situations. Dropping weights underwater is an extreme scenario and it wasn't the reason for my question, I wasn't even thinking about it. I think that you just had a point to make in the wrong circumstance :)

Back
Top Bottom