Scubapro S560 vs A700

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Both are excellent choices, as is the S560 BTW:)!

I would choose the A700 ( Carbon Fiber ) if you want the very best.

Isn't metal better in cold water than carbon fiber?

Isn't metal better in cold water than carbon fiber?

the case and barrel are what matter for thermal conductivity not the front cover. Carbon fiber is a wretched thermal conductor compared to brass though.
Brass is ~120 ish, carbon fiber in epoxy *what composites are made of* is like .5 which is somewhere between glass and wood *both of which are quite good insulators*

the case and barrel are what matter for thermal conductivity not the front cover. Carbon fiber is a wretched thermal conductor compared to brass though.
Brass is ~120 ish, carbon fiber in epoxy *what composites are made of* is like .5 which is somewhere between glass and wood *both of which are quite good insulators*

Ok, I never saw a A700 with carbon fiber, I assumed the entire regulator was made from it.

The owner of my dive shop has an xstream available for rent, but its always out on rental or with him as a backup when they go diving. I don't currently have a reg for my pony yet as I just bought it with a couple other used tanks.

The owner of my dive shop has an xstream available for rent, but its always out on rental or with him as a backup when they go diving. I don't currently have a reg for my pony yet as I just bought it with a couple other used tanks.

talk to that guy and see if you can dive it, if that's what you think you want long term, there is no sense in buying something now as a stop gap. Poseidon's will last literally forever if you take care of them and they have the distinct advantage over Scubapro of having a factory authorized service course for ANY diver that will train you to service the regs as well as buy parts direct from them.

If you decide you like them, then see if he will price match this. If not, then you get free shipping and no tax by ordering from DGX, so it makes it real difficult to support the local guy...
DGX Custom - Poseidon Xstream Doubles Reg Package
Only thing you'll need on top of that is a 9" HP hose and SPG which is about $60 and that gets you a pony and primary reg.

Both are excellent choices, as is the S560 BTW:)!

I would choose the A700 ( Carbon Fiber ) if you want the very best.

A SP dealer recommending the most expensive second stage, shock, horror.

Jokes, kind of, aside, what makes the carbon fiber covered one the "best"? Cheers.

According to SP the cover is just lighter(by 32g than its metal stablemate) and tougher, no mention on improved performance.

According to SP the cover is just lighter(by 32g than its metal stablemate) and tougher, no mention on improved performance.

by the technical definition of "touch" carbon fiber is actually very week. It is very strong, but it is not "tough" which is why it likes to shatter when hit with impact.

also, 32g is basically nothing, it's like 1/14th of a pound. Especially when the second stage is that heavy to begin with. It's for looks and looks only, if you want to pay for it, that's fine if you think it looks cool, but there is nothing better about it no matter what anyone says

disclaimer: I design composites and technical textiles for a living, including carbon fiber, it's literally my job... that's why I'm so passionate about how idiotic the use of carbon fiber is in the Bonex DPV bodies and the SF2 breather

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom