Scubapro vs Aqualung

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the_kuang

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy my first set of regulators. My LDS is adament about Aqualung (that's what they sell), but I have heard a lot of good things about Scubapro. What should i do?

the_kuang once bubbled...
I'm looking to buy my first set of regulators. My LDS is adament about Aqualung (that's what they sell), but I have heard a lot of good things about Scubapro. What should i do?

They're both good brands. I dive Aqualung and I'm very fond of them but it boils down to a "Ford" or "Chevy" kind of thing.

R..

With Aqualung I'm looking at either the Titan LX or the Legend. With Scubapro I'm debating between the MK25/S600 and the MK25/S550. Does anybody have experience or preferences with any of these products?

Thanks,

Kuang

With Aqualung I'm looking at either the Titan LX or the Legend. With Scubapro I'm debating between the MK25/S600 and the MK25/S550. Does anybody have experience or preferences with any of these products?

Thanks,

Kuang

I've used the Titan LX and the Legend LX supreme. Both excellent regs well worth the money you spend on them. Very dry and in particular the titan series are good breathers in their price-class and dry, even inverted. They're also simple and easy to service.

I don't have any direct experience with the scubapro's but fans of these regs will probably tell you the same thing I just said about the Aqualungs. What I do know about the modern scubapro's from a buddy of mine who has one is that they're very full of O-rings and he says they're more prone to IP creep than he'd like. Also, I think the MK25 is a piston design (correct me if I'm wrong) which might not be the best choice if you dive in very cold water (10C and under).

R..

I looked at all those regs when I was shopping for my first. I ended up getting the scuba pro MK25/S600. It is a very sweet reg. I decided on that over the Legend becuase I got a better deal on the Scuba Pro. The titan did breath well but I like the adjustable second stage. Besides that, the Atomic Z1 breathes as well as my scuba pro and is only i think $20 more than the Titan LX. In hind (spelling?) sight I should have bought the Atomic and saved nearly $100. Of course the Scuba Pro G250HP is suppose to be just as good as the S600 second stage just larger, but also cheaper. So that might be worth considering.

I have a Mk25/S600 that I use as my primary. It breathes better than any other reg I've tried. It's easy to service and is very dependable. I highly recommend it. The G250 HP breathes exactly the same to me. You might want to go with a Mk16 1st stage if you plan to do any ice/cold water diving later on.

No competition. Scubapro. I have owned one US Divers/Aqualung reg which I sold because it was going to cost me almost as much as the reg would cost to get a DIN wheel. They also have some regs which cannot be converted to DIN.

Why not Apeks? I use (almost) all Scubapro regs, but if I was starting again I'd go Apeks because they are cheaper.

quote:

"What I do know about the modern scubapro's from a buddy of mine who has one is that they're very full of O-rings and he says they're more prone to IP creep than he'd like." -- Diver0001

-- What's IP creep?

Also, what are the noticable differences between the Scubapro S600, G250, S550? I notice that there's about a 70 dollar difference between the S600 and S550 -- is it worth the money? I'm willing to pay as much as necessary for quality as long as there's a return for it.

quote:

"What I do know about the modern scubapro's from a buddy of mine who has one is that they're very full of O-rings and he says they're more prone to IP creep than he'd like." -- Diver0001

-- What's IP creep?

Also, what are the noticable differences between the Scubapro S600, G250, S550? I notice that there's about a 70 dollar difference between the S600 and S550 -- is it worth the money? I'm willing to pay as much as necessary for quality as long as there's a return for it.

IP creep is when the intermediate pressure in the 1st stage isn't stable and starts to go up. It can happen for several reasons but the most likely reason is when the HP seat isn't sealing perfectly.

If it gets bad enough it can cause a free flow.

I'll let the others answer your questions about the differences in scuba pro 2nd's. As I said before I don't have any direct experience with them.

R..

I have scubapro regs and I really like them. I have the Mk25/G250HP setup with a R190 backup. If your on a buget or you don't mind a slightly bigger second stage I would go with the Mk25 AF/G250HP if not I would go with the S600 with a R380 backup. or you could wait a few weeks and see how that new D500??!?!? or something turns out.
Hope this helps.
(I like Apeks too good regs)
Tekkie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom