Scubapro vs Aqualung

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I dive both the MK25T/600T and the Aqualung Legend LX Supreme. They are both high performance regulators and I've been extremely happy with both.

The Titanium is priceyand not necessary. The MK25 is exactly the same 1st stage componets except for the chrome plated marine brass case.

The Aqualung is an overbalanced diaphram so it's 1st stage is a little larger and heavier.

The Aqualung costs alot more for annual servicing because you have to purchase the service parts. (The Scubapro comes with free parts for life)

If you get a new Mk25, have the service tech fine tune it. They are not always breathing at optimum efficiency out of the box.

Thanks for the suggestion about the MK25/S600. I think I'm going to end up going w/ the Scubapro -- I hear good things about both Aqualung and Scubapro . . . just a few more good things about the Scubapro. Plus the free parts for life is a bonus, too.

the_kuang once bubbled...
Thanks for the suggestion about the MK25/S600. I think I'm going to end up going w/ the Scubapro -- I hear good things about both Aqualung and Scubapro . . . just a few more good things about the Scubapro. Plus the free parts for life is a bonus, too.

Remember the free parts for life is only from authorized dealers. It can potentially double the price of service depending on what you get. To some people that's a big deal to some it's not.

Overall a very good choice (it's what I dive) :wink:

scubaroyster once bubbled...
If you get a new Mk25, have the service tech fine tune it. They are not always breathing at optimum efficiency out of the box.

Correction: It's the S600 second stage you want to have the tech fine tune. The 1st stage is consistent, the 2nd stage sometimes won't come to you breathing the best it is capable of.

I can just state what I use. I have no real comparison except for between the two regulators that I own.

I orginally bought an Atomic Z1 because it is cheaper than the one that I now use for my recreational gear. I then bought an Aqualung Legend LX as breathing out of it at 100 ft feels the same as or better than test breathing it near the surface. The Legend just breathes unbelievably well. The Atomic isn't that much worse, either.

I will swear BY either reg (not at them, yet). I use both when I am diving doubles, keeping my Legend on the long hose and breathing it as my primary and I still have an excellent quality "back-up" in my Atomic.

Most of our tech divers swear by the Atomic and ScubaPro lines. Our "recreational" divers, instructors, and assistants are sold on the Legend.

Given a choice between the Titan LX and the Atomic, most of the divers around the shop would take the Atomic Z1 (this is coming from divers who have bought and are pretty happy with their Titan LX's, just as I am happy with my Atomic). This is in spite of the fact that the owner seems to "push" the Aqualung regs and try to downplay the Atomic line which sells itself anyways.
:)

In short, much of this is (as one poster stated) the difference between models of domestic cars or trucks. It is all in what the diver appears to have the best luck with once you get above a certain quality of reg.

Given that the differences seem to be somewhat negligible, particularly considering that I dive exclusively in warm water (relatively speaking of course - to me 74F in the springs or in the ocean during the winter is cold), I'm inclined to go with what the LDS sells, which is Aqualung.

I'm going to buy gear somewhere, and over the useful lifetime of the said gear, the price differential isn't all that much, so I'm electing to do what I can to keep the LDS in business, because I like the owners and hope they'll be around for as long as they want to be.

Kuang, the technical differences between regs should not be a concern insofar as a pro shop will be doing regular maintenance. If you were doing your own overhauls it might be different. The primary features you might, as a diver and not repairman, be interested in concern adjustable second stages and cold water diving. If you think that you would like to adjust breathing resistance underwater then a MK250 or Legend would be equally good choices. If you are diving with DIN tank connections then same thing. If you dive cold water the choice should be Legend LX. BTW, the Titan is a very nice regulator with non adjustable second stage and I notice that some people prefer this simpler design.

I have heard some divers make comments along the lines of certain regulators breathing better at depth. Depth is a relative term. How deep are we talking here? I'll throw out an arbitrary number -- if I wanted to dive 150 feet deep, what regulator would be the best? If anybody has experiences "at depth" with certain regs either breathing well or not, could you share? Let me know how deep we're talking about.

Thanks

Nothing ScubaPro make is produced in The USA BCs Mexico regs, ITaly.

For me, US Divers Micra for primary and the LPO for the Octo. The Micra packs light and small and relief jaw fatique. That is what I like about it.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom