ScubaPro vs. Cressi vs. Mares - service issues at Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
We are shopping for our first scuba gear and I am trying to settle on regulators. I am really not happy with the advice I am getting in my local stores in Toronto to be honest with you since every store is trying to push for a brand they carry. Actually all seam to have a preferred brand and I hear all kind of stuff to discourage us to go with other bands. Anyway...

One of the common theme seams to be availability of the service at diving location. In case "something goes wrong". This seams as a valid concern even though I do not know how reliable regulators are these days and what the chances are we may have issues.

The brands models we are concidering - Cressi MC9/Balanced, Mares Abyss 22 and ScubaPro MK17/G260. I need an environmentally sealed one since I will likely dive in Canada. I really like Cressi for the design and price but I was told that there is a very small support base here for it. By hear I mean Mexico/Dominican/Aruba and etc. I was told it is because the reg is Italian, go with Mares or ScubaPro but I trust ScubaPro is Italian as well.

Anyway, if can you advice if I go with Cressi or Mares or ScubaPro, will I have issues getting help on location? What are the chances I need it?

I prefer to have a local dealer for regulator service. Since I can drop it off and test it when I pick it up. Often I won't use it before a trip.

I've been diving since 1981 - frequently since about 1997. I've needed a regulator repaired on a divetrip exactly twice. Only once needing disassembly.

Check websites of the brands you're considering. All have either an interactive map or international dealer/distributor listing so you can get a sense of who is strong in the areas you plan to dive. I don't think you could go wrong with Scubapro either - I often see their gear in rental fleets. I mostly dive in the Caribbean.

Last edited:
Do not get the Cressi MC9 regulators! My partner and her father have two sets of these regulators and have had so many issues with them. We use them two or three times a year on diving holidays, every holiday they have issues (generally to do with the 1st stage leaking/free flowing) ! It has got to the point where they have now bought a new set of Aqualung regs.

Sorry I can't help with getting help in the locations you mentioned.

d-f-t-n,
The country of manufacture is by far your least important consideration. After you have some experience, you will learn not to put too much stock in what LDS salespeople say. Most have their own interests at heart.

I spend quite a bit of time in the Caribbean, and, as Buddha said, Scubapro and Aqualung will probably have the most local support in the Caribbean, and most anywhere else. Cressi the least of the three you named.

Having said that, a well cared for reg of any currently available brand (not necessarily serviced per manufacturer's suggestion) will seldom give trouble. I take a complete backup reg on every trip-even on my own boat. But, in several thousand dives have actually NEEDED the backup only twice. Both times were with almost brand new regs. One time was a bad HP seat during Oceanic's pre-recall debacle, and the other was when a large and very unhappy speared grouper hit my Sherwood Oasis 2 so hard that the second stage was knocked from my mouth and the exhaust tee torn from the reg with one of its screws slicing the exhaust diaphragm. The latter, of course, was not the reg's fault, but it did become rather a wet breather. There have been many minor leaks (usually HP spools) which, had I not repaired them myself, could have been remedied in a few minutes by any brand's service tech.

Last edited:
If availability of parts and service is your main concern, you better go for SP.

Avoid the Cressi, they are trouble, don't breathe very good, and you should bring your own service kit to the Caribbean.

Mares is solid, breathes very well for an unbalanced 2nd, but getting parts here is an issue. Also diving in Canada I would prefer a dry diaphragm 1st stage.

I don't like the MK17 for certain reasons, but having the choice between those three models, I would still go for SP.

One point at last, whatever model you are going to buy, ask your LDS to sell you one or two service kits for your 1st and 2nd stages. Often it is easier to find somebody who could fix your regulator on a trip than finding the parts for your particular regulator.

Normally your LDS would probably not sell the service kits to you with lame excuses, but if risking to loose the business they might show some more flexibility.......:)

Your experience with shops in Toronto is likely why I send so many regs to that area. I hear the same thing everywhere I seem to sell a lot of regs. Some regions seem to have a larger share of shops that will bull crap people with the most ridiculous horror stories. You can't get that reg serviced easily there, that brand is very hard to get parts for in that area, there are no shops within a thousand miles of where you will be that service such and such, it is your life support so you better make sure that this brand new top of the line reg can be serviced if it has a problem. Really, if that is a consideration it can't be that great of a reg then can it?
Brand is not that critical. What is important is that whoever you buy it from sets it up properly, tests it, and gives you written proof of those tests. And even then a reg could fail. But so what? If you check it before each dive you'll likely catch it and have time to rent, borrow, or beg one for the dive. Then after you can see if a local tech can adjust it or if it's time to complain to the shop or mfg. All of those you noted are good brands. And there are many more. And you don't need a local shop for service. Many offer mail order and do a fine job.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Regarding the caribbean, on Cozumel there's a big Mares dealer and a Scubapro dealer, and a very busy regulator repair shop that supposedly fixes lots of brands and has access to parts from many manufacturers. There's a shop that says "Cressi" in big letters downtown, but since I own no Cressi gear and don't have an interest in it, I don't know much about that shop. On Roatan there's a Mares distributor right in the west end, certainly that place would have lots of parts. There's also a scubapro dealer in the west end; that guy has a surprisingly good (or had when I was there) stock of parts and kits. I fixed quite a few SP regs while I was there doing my DM class.

That's about the extent of my knowledge of caribbean parts/service availability. I'm sure there's a lot more.

Regarding the necessity for local service and service on site when traveling, here's my opinion. GOOD service is important, and if a well designed regulator is serviced well, it's very unlikely to have problems. The only problem I've ever had with regs on a dive vacation was immediately after poor service. This is one of the main reasons I started working on my own regulators.

How do you know whether your shop is going to give you quality servicing? Unfortunately, you don't. Call me cynical, but a weekend seminar does not a good repairman make. I'm going to guess that the guy on Cozumel who fixes all the DM's regs is likely to be pretty good; he stays very busy working on regs that are routinely abused, often not very good ones to begin with, and he apparently has a strong interest in vintage gear (a really good sign IMO).

Of the regs you mentioned, I would lean towards the MK17/G260.

If you include Playa del Carmen in the Caribbean (and you should because it is), that completely negates the previous arguments that Cressi has no presence in the Caribbean because they have probably the largest facility in the area and there are several LDS’s in the area that use and service Cressi. I’ve heard quite a few independent instructors who are certified techs for Scubapro and Mares who never repair anything since even they can’t get service kits.

But realistically, keep your gear in good working order, if it dies on a weeklong trip, just use rental gear and don’t worry about it. As an instructor, I’ve probably done field tuning on maybe a dozen regs over the last 15 years. Most of the time, whatever issue you’re having can wait until you get home.

If you include Playa del Carmen in the Caribbean (and you should because it is), that completely negates the previous arguments that Cressi has no presence in the Caribbean because they have probably the largest facility in the area and there are several LDS’s in the area that use and service Cressi. I’ve heard quite a few independent instructors who are certified techs for Scubapro and Mares who never repair anything since even they can’t get service kits.

But realistically, keep your gear in good working order, if it dies on a weeklong trip, just use rental gear and don’t worry about it. As an instructor, I’ve probably done field tuning on maybe a dozen regs over the last 15 years. Most of the time, whatever issue you’re having can wait until you get home.

No one said they was "no showing" just that of those the OP listed Cressis network was not as big, which it isn't. Agree that a well maintained reg almost negates the need for an on holiday service but it can and does happen so is something to be considered especially if one is a prolific travel diver. Having said that buying a couple of service kits for the regs you buy and taking them with you will in most cases make any reg a suitable option. Often it's the lack of availability of the service kit that is the fly in the ointment, most competent reg techs can service most brands.

Back
Top Bottom