SEALs don’t like split fins either.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In initial training they use something Jet fin like so everyone is on the same platform/advantage, according to some training prep sites, including their own training prep boards. Once in teams it is personal preference. And not a you ordered it, you're gonna wear it thing.... I guess these two like splits tied together, at least for the dive they were doing. Jet fins(ish) and ForceFin Pros are well represented in the preferences. And yes, they do not normally, or ever, need to cave dive.

I noticed the camo freediving suits too.
I did a fin test once at the Sonoma State U pool with several types and styles of fins. My least favorite were Nova’s. I used black Apollo Bio Fins and liked them better than the Nova’s. I used Scubapro twin jets against the Apollo’s and had mixed results which means they were pretty close to equal. Regular SP Jets provided more power but wore me out faster. Mares Quattro’s had a “dead” spot at the directional switch that I didn’t like, and freediving fins blew them all away. All kicks were standard flutter kicks, or as some people call them scissor kicks.
No frog kicking was used for the test.

Those guys are in better shape than most NFL or NBA players. They could absolutely torture Jet fins and make them beg for mercy if they wanted. Those guys have some serious horsepower and stamina.
I’m sure they test fins a lot and tinker with stuff to tweak it the way they like it. Maybe one of them figured out that zip tied Apollo’s work pretty damn good everything considered, and it caught on in their tight knit group.

Exactly - I suspect that most who pile on the split fin hate train have never even dived with them. I can't speak for all brands of splits, but I love my Atomic Smoke on the Water splits (pretty stiff fins) - I just dove them in the strong currents of Tiputa Pass in Rangiroa in October - not a problem and performed better than many people with paddles...

I'm not in the split fin hate train, but I don't like them. I believe in using what works best for each individual. I tried several splits and they didn't work the best for me YMMV, if it does rock it.

I'm not in the split fin hate train, but I don't like them. I believe in using what works best for each individual. I tried several splits and they didn't work the best for me YMMV, if it does rock it.
I agree - use what works for you. I also have a set of Mares Avanti Quattro Plus that I like alot too - but they do each support different kick styles. Curious as to what you did not like about the splits you tried?

Reactions: Dan
I agree - use what works for you. I also have a set of Mares Avanti Quattro Plus that I like alot too - but they do each support different kick styles. Curious as to what you did not like about the splits you tried?

My favorite kick is frog, I do a lot of helicopter and sometimes back kick. I found the splits either did not work at all or were not as good for these kicks. For the record I have had 2 knee surgeries and I have knee arthritis, I find frog not only doesn't silt but also does not aggravate my knee, win win

NSW's budget allows the Teams a variety of options. There is probably standardization at the SEAL Platoon level but above that and especially at the East Coast and West Coast SEAL Team level, task units are using different fins.

My favorite kick is frog, I do a lot of helicopter and sometimes back kick. I found the splits either did not work at all or were not as good for these kicks. For the record I have had 2 knee surgeries and I have knee arthritis, I find frog not only doesn't silt but also does not aggravate my knee, win win
Thanks - the Atomic Smoke on the Water Splits actually frog kick and helicopter kick very well - they are much stiffer than other splits (including reg Atomicc Splits), but not quite as strong in thrust per kick with frog kicking but I don't find that an issue. However, they are faster with less effort when flutter kicking so excelled in cutting cross current in Tiputa Pass. I don't really use back kick much so don't have an opinion on that. They are quite large however, so I prefer the paddles in tighter environments.

I like to try things myself (as it seems you do too) so was honestly quite surprised at how well the splits worked doing things others here have claimed are not possible with splits :). As you said, use what works best for your diving based on your own experience!

Friends don’t let friends dive with split fins. Lol.

NO no, "it's friends don't let friends wear speedos"

And

"Split fins: just say NO"

I have actually seen split fins zip locked like this out in the wild.

I like my split fins and bought them because solid fins gave me really bad leg and toe cramps.
But my split fins have been gathering dust since I got freediving fins - I imagine I'll go back to them someday when I go on dives the long fins just can't handle.
At some point I want to try jet fins - I can frog kick and such in my splits but I want to see how jet fins work for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom