Seasick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ari

Reaction score
Any ideas on how to avoid seasickness, while diving from a boat when the water is on the high side?

I had a couple of dives today and could not really keep my breakfast in (please forgive my being so graphic).

Ideas will be welcome.

Ari. ;-0

A search through the board will probably find past threads on this, but a quick summary
  • For seasickness meds, you want to purchase generic Meclazine HCL directly from your local pharmacist. This is available without perscription but "behind the counter". This is the same ingredient as Bonine but without the higher price tag. A bottle of 100 cost me $12.00 at WalMart. It's suggested that you start take it per instructions 48 hours before you board the boat so it will be in your system.
  • Keep hydrated! Feeding the fishies will seriously dehydrate you.
  • Eat bland foods and avoid spicy, greasy, and alcohol. Some of the others might suggest what balance of carbs and such.
  • Visit your local asian grocery and see if you can get some crystalized ginger. This not only gives you something sweet to keep in your mouth, the ginger also will calm your stomach.
  • Snack on ginger snap cookies. Same reason as above.
  • When on the boat, if your on deck, try to keep your eyes fixed on the horizon. This helps.
  • If it will take a bit to get to motor out to the dive site, try to find a comfortable spot and fall asleep before you leave the dock. Not only do you "get to the dive site faster", but somehow the "quesiness mechanism" get's switched off (for me anyhow).
Hope this helps some.

Anyone else want to add to this?

Eat a light bland breakfast like toast, bagel or cold cereal. Stay out in the fresh air for the boat ride. Don't overheat in a wet suit on the trip out. Drink fluids like water and Gatorade.

Scott:froggy:

As the official Scubaboard chummer, I take great delight in making the others on the boat "see things my way" ifn' you know what I mean Chester!

Here a puke there a puke
Everywhere a puke puke...
Poor ol' Netdoc got sea sick,
E-I-E-I throw!

(you guess the tune)

That fun stuff being said, I use trip-tone for the best results, and I stay way hydrated. I will not eat within an hour of hitting the boat, and I will NOT wear a hat. Looking at the horizon is "OK", but I have to do all of this to try and escape with my breakfast and or lunch intact!!!

Originally posted by Netdoc
...and I will NOT wear a hat.
Okay....I gotta ask......what's the logic behind this bit of advice? Something new to add to medical science, Sir Chums-a-lot?

Hi Ari,

I go along with Mike's advise. I use the same thing. I take one the night before at bed time and another in the morning. Try not to do any close up visual type work like reading on the boat and do what ever you have to to keep from getting hot. If at all possible, try to set up your gear before the boat leaves the dock, some ops will let you, others won't. And what ever you do NEVER EVER go to the head on a boat, it's almost certain someone else has beat you there and if you are like me, that's all it takes to set me off.

Originally posted by TexasMike
Okay....I gotta ask......what's the logic behind this bit of advice? Something new to add to medical science, Sir Chums-a-lot?

It has nuthin to do with logic, my steel stomached friend... I wear a hat I throw up. It has something to do with thew bill bobbing around the horizon. The horizon looks like IT is moving. If I take it off, I feel better immediately, and the horizon becomes still again.

Apparently the electronic Reliefbands work. I was skeptical myself and assumed it was mostly placebo the first time I went with a friend using them, but now I have had 4 out of 4 friends who I have watch get seasick on every single prior boat trip have sucess with these. One was fine until he took them off to gear up, then got as sick as ever and only did the first dive. 1 reported feeling queasy during the surface interval, but did not get sick. The other two had NO symptoms and these are people who get sick watching a merry-go-round! I have NO idea how they work, but they seem to be the most effective, (and the most expensive) treatment. Maybe BillP knows of some randomized studies--I don't-- I can only offer my experience, but if they are available where you are, I suspect it would be worth the investment.

For standard tips, I agree with the prior posters and would add to make sure you avoid the boat exhaust while you are in the fresh air, and along with trying to have you gear ready, I would generalize to try to avoid doing anything requiring concentration after pulling away from the dock

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom