Seasick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for posting that, never been to that site before. Printed the seasick info to include in the lectures I have to write to become an instructor.

:) Ber :bunny:

Here is a deep question for you. Right up there with.."if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it."

Is it now illegal to yak in the ocean in Florida?

You know a shark might eat it and that would be shark feeding.

Chad

Check out the Warhammer Manuver to see that indeed it is alright to "yak" in the ocean. :wink: You'll have no further questions on this matter after viewing this photograph. :tree:Bob

As far as I know, I am still the only person who was managed to yak DURING a certification dive. It was my 2nd OW dive of the day, and the surge was increasing all day. With all the chop on the water, I swallowed a bit of seawater during the tired diver tow and that didn't sit well. floating close to the bottom in 15 feet of water, the surge carried bits of things back and forth incessantly. I recall the instructor looking at me funny when I stood up, held my regulator in my mouth with my hand, and fed the fish a little. I followed it up with a healthy push of the purge button and promptly switched to my octo. Seeing stuff float by my head threatened to prompt another round at which time I surfaced. Not something I ever wish to repeat. Ever.

Actually. Jobowker, you are not the only one to yak on a cert dive. I too, am a regular yakker.
One bit of advice that has not been mentioned in this thread, if you feel like throwing up, don't be shy, let 'er go! In water or above, you will feel better immediately.
When you do it underwater, make sure you KEEP YOUR REG IN YOUR MOUTH!!!!!!!
You will be amazed at how much breakfast you can get through your reg. However, the next couple of times you push the purge button are not the best.
I am quite used to this now, and make sure you look around after you lose your lunch because the fish do seem to enjoy seconds!

Ari-

Everyone's gotten together some really great advice. I Just wanted to repeat one piece of it though.

**Under NO circustanance should you make a trip to the heads, unless your stomach is in pristen condition.**

This coming from someone who's last job was crewing. Despite our warning, several people found out the hard way. If anyone thinks they have a 'stomach of steel' drop me a line and boy do I have a story for you!!

.... don't go to the heads, the fish will like it more than your fellow passagners.

Having just finished my OW cert I have come to the conclusion that my future diving will have the dreaded seasickness accompaning it. The first dive was fine till I hit the surface. Five minutes bobbing around on the surface and I was green as spinach. On the second dive I had to come up as I was sure I was going to puke through the reg, not something I felt quite ready to do.
For my 3rd and 4th dives I used some meds based on ginger, which helped quite alot, but I was still a little queasy.
I found that if I kept moving I was fine. Trouble was that we all sat on the bottom swaying and froing, watching fish get carried through our legs by the surge - oh no.
One poor Korean girl in our group spoke little english, but when on land she would clutch her stomach and say "Vomit!", and I would nod and say yes, vomit. Luckily I managed to hold mine in but she didn't.
My motto, keep moving and don't sit on the blinkin surface too long!

Yes, ginger of any kind is good. They also sell ginger pills.

I made a two tank dive off of St. Croix about 18 months ago in less than excellent weather. It was a 3' square chop off shore and we were in a 24' dive boat. I don't normally get sick, and was fine while we were powering through the waves, but once we picked up the bouy and everyone began to get ready, several of the folks started to turn a little green. I have found it helps to stand, as you naturally tend to stay straight up and down, while the boat 'bobs' around you. Getting in the water is a great help too, as the water is cool and even moving up and down on the waves is less confusing than the motion of the boat. I'm a Great Lakes Sailor, and am used to rough water in small boats, so I wasn't effected too much....

Back
Top Bottom