Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have one ordered. Due to ship at the end of December.
How did you get it outfitted? Looking forward to hearing what you think about it. I’m leaning that direction now. How long was the estimated time from order to delivery?

How did you get it outfitted? Looking forward to hearing what you think about it. I’m leaning that direction now. How long was the estimated time from order to delivery?

I got my ex to come over and measure me. Same person that measured me a year and a half ago when I ordered my Nova. That fits well, but I feared I might have, ummm, grown a little bit in certain areas, so I wanted new measurements. I compared new to old and, sadly, I did grow a little bit. :-\

I put in my order on 11/4 and the estimated shipping date is 12/20.

I have both

Did you get the Ultra with the standard neoprene seals at wrist and neck?

I'm really wondering how the neoprene wrist seals work in the real world. They look just the same as the wrist area of the ScubaPro EverFlex wetsuits I have. I.e. just a tight-fitting (around the wrist) sleeve with "smoothskin" on the inside.

Does that work well? Do your arms stay totally dry? I mean, just as dry as if you wore your Nova, with silicone or latex wrist seals?

It seems like the neoprene wrist seals would prevent you from having undergarments that extend more than halfway down your forearm or so. I.e. like the last 6 inches or so of your arms would have no insulation from the cold other than the compressed neoprene of the suit itself. But, a Seaskin rep did tell me that it's only the last 2" that make the seal, I think. So, maybe an undergarment could cover all but the last 2". But, it seems like if said undergarment had much thickness at all it would make it either uncomfortable or possibly interfere with the seal.

I ordered mine specifically to use as a suit for water that is not super cold. I expect to use it when the water is somewhere around 50 - 55 or warmer. For colder, I will wear the Nova. My intention is to use the Ultra in water that requires no more than a very thin base layer and possibly a thin layer of wool undies on top of that. If I would need my 150gsm Thinsulate undersuit, then I would wear the Nova. I did not get wrist rings - if the water is too cold for 3mm wet gloves, then I'd wear my Nova. I wanted this suit to be pretty much as simple and convenient to use as a wetsuit - but warmer. Simple, robust seals that don't require the level of babying that silicone does, and are potentially field-repairable. Attached boots, so no booties to remember to pack, or to don after putting on the suit. No wrist rings creating bulk and making it hard to reach certain places. But, I'll have redundant buoyancy for dives where I might otherwise choose to wear a wetsuit. And no loss of warmth due to compression on deeper dives.

Anyway....

@lexvil, have you posted a real review of your Ultra anywhere? I don't remember seeing one, but I may have kind of ignored it because I wasn't interested in a neoprene suit. I would definitely like to read it, if you have.

Did you get the Ultra with the standard neoprene seals at wrist and neck?

I'm really wondering how the neoprene wrist seals work in the real world. They look just the same as the wrist area of the ScubaPro EverFlex wetsuits I have. I.e. just a tight-fitting (around the wrist) sleeve with "smoothskin" on the inside.

Does that work well? Do your arms stay totally dry? I mean, just as dry as if you wore your Nova, with silicone or latex wrist seals?

It seems like the neoprene wrist seals would prevent you from having undergarments that extend more than halfway down your forearm or so. I.e. like the last 6 inches or so of your arms would have no insulation from the cold other than the compressed neoprene of the suit itself. But, a Seaskin rep did tell me that it's only the last 2" that make the seal, I think. So, maybe an undergarment could cover all but the last 2". But, it seems like if said undergarment had much thickness at all it would make it either uncomfortable or possibly interfere with the seal.

I ordered mine specifically to use as a suit for water that is not super cold. I expect to use it when the water is somewhere around 50 - 55 or warmer. For colder, I will wear the Nova. My intention is to use the Ultra in water that requires no more than a very thin base layer and possibly a thin layer of wool undies on top of that. If I would need my 150gsm Thinsulate undersuit, then I would wear the Nova. I did not get wrist rings - if the water is too cold for 3mm wet gloves, then I'd wear my Nova. I wanted this suit to be pretty much as simple and convenient to use as a wetsuit - but warmer. Simple, robust seals that don't require the level of babying that silicone does, and are potentially field-repairable. Attached boots, so no booties to remember to pack, or to don after putting on the suit. No wrist rings creating bulk and making it hard to reach certain places. But, I'll have redundant buoyancy for dives where I might otherwise choose to wear a wetsuit. And no loss of warmth due to compression on deeper dives.

Anyway....

@lexvil, have you posted a real review of your Ultra anywhere? I don't remember seeing one, but I may have kind of ignored it because I wasn't interested in a neoprene suit. I would definitely like to read it, if you have.
I haven’t done a review but to cover the questions, I ordered it with si-tech ovals, and quick neck and si-tech valves, a flat pocket, trigon p valve, that is all the changes I made if memory serves, I used the measurements they had on file after having them sent me the info for verification.

I really prefer silicone seals but have considered neoprene for the ease of repair but weighed against the ease of replacement they never win the argument but doubled neoprene in the last bit is probably plenty of insulation.

If I know the water will be below 55° I will favor the ultra but I vastly prefer the front zip of the Nova suit and once I replaced to brass zip with the Ti-zip it wins out more and more, going south this weekend to dive La Jolla shores and the Nova is going.

I haven’t done a review but to cover the questions, I ordered it with si-tech ovals, and quick neck and si-tech valves, a flat pocket, trigon p valve, that is all the changes I made if memory serves, I used the measurements they had on file after having them sent me the info for verification.

I really prefer silicone seals but have considered neoprene for the ease of repair but weighed against the ease of replacement they never win the argument but doubled neoprene in the last bit is probably plenty of insulation.

If I know the water will be below 55° I will favor the ultra but I vastly prefer the front zip of the Nova suit and once I replaced to brass zip with the Ti-zip it wins out more and more, going south this weekend to dive La Jolla shores and the Nova is going.

Interesting. So, for you the neo is for colder water and the Nova is for warmer?

What does "doubled neoprene in the last bit is probably plenty of insulation" mean? Are you talking about wrists?

I debated getting a Quick Neck and using the replaceable neoprene seal that is available to fit the Quick Neck system. I have one of those for my Nova, but have not actually tried it yet. I decided to keep the Ultra simple and less expensive. I expect the neoprene neck seal to last a long time. If/when it needs a new neck seal, I will send it off and use my other suit in the meantime. And I will decide then if I went to upgrade it to a Quick Neck or not.

Interesting. So, for you the neo is for colder water and the Nova is for warmer?

What does "doubled neoprene in the last bit is probably plenty of insulation" mean? Are you talking about wrists?

I debated getting a Quick Neck and using the replaceable neoprene seal that is available to fit the Quick Neck system. I have one of those for my Nova, but have not actually tried it yet. I decided to keep the Ultra simple and less expensive. I expect the neoprene neck seal to last a long time. If/when it needs a new neck seal, I will send it off and use my other suit in the meantime. And I will decide then if I went to upgrade it to a Quick Neck or not.
It is tempting to go with the basic suit on a cost basis but the cost of adding the si-tech stuff from them is so low that I couldn’t ever justify not getting it.

Double layer did mean the rolled under seal on the wrists.

Overall I like the diving feel of the neoprene suit more than the Nova because it’s warmer I use less air in the suit to combat squeeze, the neoprene feels more like a wetsuit and if some squeeze happens it is less likely to cause pressure points that will cause leg (thigh is the worst) cramps for me anyway. My neoprene suit will dry completely in a day, the Nova in a few hours in this dry environment.

I’m pretty certain I’ll go with the si-tech oval wrists, but I’m still completely uncertain about the neck seal. I’m not worried about changing a seal on the dive site. I’m more worried about ease of donning and comfort while diving. Any suggestions?

Also @lexvil do you have the neoprene socks or integrated boots? How do you feel about the flat pocket?

I’m pretty certain I’ll go with the si-tech oval wrists, but I’m still completely uncertain about the neck seal. I’m not worried about changing a seal on the dive site. I’m more worried about ease of donning and comfort while diving. Any suggestions?

Also @lexvil do you have the neoprene socks or integrated boots? How do you feel about the flat pocket?[/QUOTE

Also @lexvil do you have the neoprene socks or integrated boots? How do you feel about the flat pocket?
i use neoprene socks, big feet but I would use that option even if boot were available, easy to turn the suit inside out for quick drying.

I’m a 100% a silicone seal fan, very stretchy and tough, they last a very long time, I would never again opt for glued on latex seals.

Double layer did mean the rolled under seal on the wrists.

It is my understanding with the neo wrist seals on the Ultra that you don't roll them under. You do tuck in the neo neck seal, so it is doubled. But, they told me that the wrists are just flat on the arm - just like a wetsuit.

Do you know something I don't? I wondered if they were supposed to be tucked under, like you said, which is why I had emailed them to ask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom