Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m pretty certain I’ll go with the si-tech oval wrists, but I’m still completely uncertain about the neck seal. I’m not worried about changing a seal on the dive site. I’m more worried about ease of donning and comfort while diving. Any suggestions?

Also @lexvil do you have the neoprene socks or integrated boots? How do you feel about the flat pocket?

I have not yet actually tried a neo neck seal. I agree with lex that I would never go back to latex. I think silicone is way more comfortable than latex.

My understanding from people I've talked to who have used neo neck seals is that they are a little more comfortable than silicone, and warmer. The tradeoff is that you are more likely to get a little trickle of water down your neck with neoprene - mainly if you really turn your neck sharply or something like that.

Donning is just a different story between silicone and neoprene. I have put my replaceable neo neck seal on (without attaching it to my drysuit). I'm not sure either is easier to don. They're just different. I think the neoprene requires less care. I.e. I think it would be easier to damage a silicone neck seal while donning than it would be to damage a neo neck seal.

I'm not too worried about damaging a neo seal and needing to suddenly replace it at a dive site. When using silicone, I would definitely be worried about that. Since silicone is not available as a permanent, glued-on seal, that sort of answers part of the question. If you have silicone, you WILL have a quick-change system of some type. And you SHOULD definitely have spares on hand. The very first time I dived my Waterproof suit after I got wrist rings installed, with silicone seals, I got a tear in one of the wrist seals. I was happy to be able to change it out in minutes right there on the boat.

For neo, my gut says that when a neo seal needs to be replaced it will be something I will see coming as it gradually wears out and gets looser and starts to let me get a little wet and then a little more wet. I think it's a fairly low probability of a sudden or catastrophic failure, like you could have with silicone or latex. Not saying it can't happen with neoprene, just that I think it's much less likely than with latex or silicone.

Just to break the positive spell, I found the side of the flat pocket coming apart when slowly gearing up for a shore dive yesterday, with only a handful of dives on the suit.

I put my frameless backup mask in that pocket, which fits easily without any strain. Pulling the velcro open is probably the hardest action this pocket has seen.

I just put the drysuit away for a few months as it's getting warmer now, so have ample time to do something about it, but still not what I expected to see from a brand new suit that has been treated with great care.

I'll contact Aqualand about it and will let you know what they suggest.

IMG_9277.jpg

Just to break the positive spell, I found the side of the flat pocket coming apart when slowly gearing up for a shore dive yesterday, with only a handful of dives on the suit.

I put my frameless backup mask in that pocket, which fits easily without any strain. Pulling the velcro open is probably the hardest action this pocket has seen.

I just put the drysuit away for a few months as it's getting warmer now, so have ample time to do something about it, but still not what I expected to see from a brand new suit that has been treated with great care.

I'll contact Aqualand about it and will let you know what they suggest.

View attachment 554627

Thanks for the post. It's good to hear the bad along with the good. And, really, how a company handles problems is at least as interesting to me as whether they make quality stuff in the first place. Everybody (even *gasp* Shearwater) ships something with a problem every now and then.

They have done the right thing and asked whether I have a local repair shop that they can get in touch with to pay directly.

Finding that repair shop will be a major hassle in a part of the world where almost nobody wears a drysuit. I am already bracing for a bad repair and leaks and hassle :wink:

Hi
I’ve been reading this thread in the over the past week and some of it has been great and some of it a bit off putting. The reason is I ordered a Nova back in September and it’s delivery date is the 20th (5 days time!). I would say I’m pretty experienced in diving, as I was a full time instructor and commercial diver both in the uk and overseas for over 25years. However, haven’t dived for the last four years (when I sold my old kit), but a few months ago decided to get back into it, hence the reason for ordering the suit.

Any way one big concern I now have is I need to be able to put the suit on and off with no assistance, I didn’t order the the telescopic torso have I made a mistake??

Any way one big concern I now have is I need to be able to put the suit on and off with no assistance, I didn’t order

No you didn't. Are you talking about Seaskin Nova front zip suit?T standard has enough extra fabric to don and doff it. TLS option just makes it fold somewhat more consistently.

No you didn't. Are you talking about Seaskin Nova front zip suit?T standard has enough extra fabric to don and doff it. TLS option just makes it fold somewhat more consistently.
Yes I ordered the Nova, thanks for confirming I ordered correctly. I did read the info on the Seaskin website but there is nothing like getting first had knowlage. When di you get your suit? are you happy with the build quality?

When di you get your suit? are you happy with the build quality?

I got my suit in early September (Nova with TLS option, I have buddies with older Novas without TLS).
I am very happy with the build quality. I have minor issues with fit, but that occationally happens with all drysuit manufacturers. It also takes time to adapt, so these issues may resolve just nyt getting used to it.

I got my suit in early September (Nova with TLS option, I have buddies with older Novas without TLS).
I am very happy with the build quality. I have minor issues with fit, but that occationally happens with all drysuit manufacturers. It also takes time to adapt, so these issues may resolve just nyt getting used to it.
That is a fair comment, over the years I’ve owned about 8 or 9 suits and all needed a bit of alterations or some time to get used to. My last suit was a OThree and even that didn’t feel as though it fitted quite on land but was great under water. I’m expecting the Nova to have some issues but fingers cross nothing major. I had my measurements taken by my partner, who is a OT so used to taking body measurements, in fact I did the measurements a month before I ordered it and then repeated on the day and both set came out almost identical.

Well my Seaskin Nova has arrived, and I’m pleased to say I’m joining the Seaskin fan club. My main couple of worries were the boot size I’m 11.5 UK and never seem to be able to get the right size but these boots are fine with normal socks. Second, would I be able to self don the suit as I didn’t order the the Telescopic torso, the good news is YES I can and without too much effort. I also ordered the 250 under suit which fits fine to. The only negative thing I have to say is the suit and under suit are not designed to be worn on a Narrowboat with a coal fire

Back
Top Bottom