Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back to Seaskin... I received my 150 undergarment today. I placed the order on March 11th so it took exactly 4 weeks. Impressive! It fits perfect and so does the base layer I ordered since it didn't increase the shipping. Very pleased.

Back to Seaskin... I received my 150 undergarment today. I placed the order on March 11th so it took exactly 4 weeks. Impressive! It fits perfect and so does the base layer I ordered since it didn't increase the shipping. Very pleased.
Yeah, the 150 & 250 are like custom tailored sleeping bags. Cozy, but seem to require ability to dislocate a shoulder to get out of :p

I've got a tracking number! Less than a week later than the dispatch date they estimated a few months ago. As expected, Rolocks were taken off the order, and supposedly will be refunded. Same with the leg gaitors I ordered in case of floaty feet. I'm sure I can make a pair with some cordura and elastic if I actually need them, and you guys set great expectations for the rolock backorders, so I already have a pair ready to go when the suit gets here next week. Nothing left to do but pay the duty bill and go diving!

I've got a tracking number! Less than a week later than the dispatch date they estimated a few months ago. As expected, Rolocks were taken off the order, and supposedly will be refunded. Same with the leg gaitors I ordered in case of floaty feet. I'm sure I can make a pair with some cordura and elastic if I actually need them, and you guys set great expectations for the rolock backorders, so I already have a pair ready to go when the suit gets here next week. Nothing left to do but pay the duty bill and go diving!
I haven't had a chance to dive this suit in salt yet, just a couple 18ft pool dives , so in fresh water and my usual 15L/117cuft steel tank, using 12lb of weight - still a bit too much without thermal under garments, but the 12lb would be enough weight to account for that when wearing 150 insulation. The made to fit suit with socks, + my usual dive sock layers + DUI "rock boots" have zero issue with floaty feet.

I've also been trying out some Apeks RK3 HD and 4th Element Tech fins - both have negative buoyancy. Leaning toward something more neutral and slightly stiffer, maybe Deep 6 Eddys.

Definitely haven't been needing the negative fins and definitely have not noticed any issue with excess air in the legs/feet. One major reason I got the suit with socks attached instead of generic boots was to have a better contact and feel of the fins. Here's a shot showing suit inverted... note the lack of any leg/foot bloating. If your suit fits right, no way you should need gaiters.

1713047546341.png

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone using the black glove mount rings. Those are for gloves with an attached lining correct, thicker than just the thin cotton or poly liner flocking in like a 660 or 720? I'm sure nearly everyone that needs fatter gloves with thick liners is using something like a showa 495 with their own liners rather an insulated glove like a 490 with a liner that can't be removed. If my understanding is correct, almost no one would need the black rings, so not supplying them is a really good idea if it helps them control costs.

The rolock 90 set I picked up recently from drysuitspareparts came with the black rings, so I have an extra set of black glove mount rings I have no real use for either. I suspect they are still previous stock rolock 90 kits, which is why they still contain the black rings and they why still sell for the 2023 price.
I tried the Rolock 90 blue rings with two types of lined gloves: Showa 620 (orange) and 660 (blue).

With the 620s, the fit is OK-not-great; the ring is super-snug and a real SOB to remove.

With the 660s, the fit is sucktastic; the ring is permanently attached. I honestly think I'mma have to cut the glove out when it finally tears. In the meantime, if you see a guy with mismatched orange-and-blue drygloves, you'll know it's me.

Anyone want to send me their unwanted pair of black rings? I'll pay postage and give them a good home.

I tried the Rolock 90 blue rings with two types of lined gloves: Showa 620 (orange) and 660 (blue).

With the 620s, the fit is OK-not-great; the ring is super-snug and a real SOB to remove.

With the 660s, the fit is sucktastic; the ring is permanently attached. I honestly think I'mma have to cut the glove out when it finally tears. In the meantime, if you see a guy with mismatched orange-and-blue drygloves, you'll know it's me.

Anyone want to send me their unwanted pair of black rings? I'll pay postage and give them a good home.
I’ll look for the black rings tomorrow, I have them someplace.

Laughing at the orange / blue.

Why not just use unlined gloves with liners? I really can't find any advantage to gloves with liners. They stink after a while and take longer to wash / dry.

Liners I just throw in the tub and switch to another set.

Both of those gloves are "unlined". Lining refers to having a bonded in thermal/fluff layer that is not removable. The thin bonded-on reinforcement polyester is not called a "liner". The thinner 620 glove is a mere double dip PVC and the thicker 620 a triple dipped PVC.

Gloves I recently mounted are the 720 Nitrile which are very durable, good tactile, and don't stiffen up in very cold conditions. They mounted perfectly in the Rolock 90, but I got to fiddling around and wanted to remove them to try something else... needed a pry tool (spoon handle) to dislodge the blue ring/o-ring (I did not pre-grease any of the glove mounting parts).

Your glove issues may be with the use of PVC stickiness. Try using silicone grease in the ring groove area and on the outer PVC where it wraps over over the blue ring.

You wash your gloves?...
Lol, just the liners and it's very rare. Sometimes they get soaked with oyster juice and need to be.

Back
Top Bottom