Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I only own drysuit hoods (i.e. short neck, no bib). That's what I use with a wetsuit, too. They will usually overlap the neck of the wetsuit a bit, so it still keeps my neck reasonably warm.

It looks to me like every bibbed hood I've ever tucked into a wetsuit for someone always creates little channels that will let water in and out. Having the bib outside a wetsuit seems absolutely useless as a contributor for staying warm.

I do have a hooded vest, and I have worn that over a wetsuit, on occasion. I think that is the most useful way to add warmth to a wetsuit, if a drysuit hood is not enough.

I only own drysuit hoods (i.e. short neck, no bib). That's what I use with a wetsuit, too. They will usually overlap the neck of the wetsuit a bit, so it still keeps my neck reasonably warm.

It looks to me like every bibbed hood I've ever tucked into a wetsuit for someone always creates little channels that will let water in and out. Having the bib outside a wetsuit seems absolutely useless as a contributor for staying warm.

I do have a hooded vest, and I have worn that over a wetsuit, on occasion. I think that is the most useful way to add warmth to a wetsuit, if a drysuit hood is not enough.

I use my Drysuit (non bibbed) hood for wetsuit diving as well. I’ve had the same experience as you, water running in through channels in the bib.

Well, I just placed my order and will join the dry suit club... The only thing I was a bit nervous about was the extra suit allowance but most people I contacted on here suggested to get it since I'll be mainly diving in lakes <10 degrees celsius.

What I ordered:
  • Black Nova suit with orange stitching
  • Telescopic torso
  • Allowance for extra thick undergarments
  • Body Zip Cover
  • Plastic zip
  • Trigon Pee valve and hose tidy
  • Quick Neck system
  • Warm Neck Simple
  • Kubi 80mm glove system
  • DIR style Dump
  • Tech boots
  • Kevlar knee pads
  • PU reinforced shoulders
  • 40mm braces
  • no logos
  • Change mat upgrade
  • left and right thigh expedition pockets
  • 250gsm Undergarment
  • Spare set of neck and wrist seals
Now the wait begins and the time to recuperate from the purchase.
The suit arrived today so I rushed home from work to quickly try it on.

First impression. Damn. The quality is top notch. The orange stitching on the black looks great.

Boy am I glad I got the extra allowance. It's seriously tight, even with just the 250 undergarment. I'm tempted to email them and ask if they forgot to include a bit of extra because I'm honestly struggling to see how I could ever fit into it with a 400gm undersuit.

Speaking of, If there's one thing I'm not sure about yet is the undergarment. It is really tight and very restrictive and I was fighting to get out of both the drysuit and the undergarment. The cut of it is strange too. its pretty tight around the chest but theres lots of material around the ass and lower back. Makes me wonder if I will be able to perform valve drills.

I unfortunately won't have time to dive it this weekend but hopefully next sunday! I'll try to take some pics in the meantime (and try it on with just a base layer).

First impression. Damn. The quality is top notch. The orange stitching on the black looks great.

Boy am I glad I got the extra allowance. It's seriously tight, even with just the 250 undergarment. I'm tempted to email them and ask if they forgot to include a bit of extra because I'm honestly struggling to see how I could ever fit into it with a 400gm undersuit.

Speaking of, If there's one thing I'm not sure about yet is the undergarment. It is really tight and very restrictive and I was fighting to get out of both the drysuit and the undergarment. The cut of it is strange too. its pretty tight around the chest but theres lots of material around the ass and lower back. Makes me wonder if I will be able to perform valve drills.

I unfortunately won't have time to dive it this weekend but hopefully next sunday! I'll try to take some pics in the meantime (and try it on with just a base layer).

Congrats! Mine felt a bit restrictive as well right when I got it, after a few dives I got the hang of how to manipulate my shoulders and arms. Now I can get in and out of it by myself no problems. Do you have a picture of you wearing it so we can see that “extra ass material?” 🤣

It should be snug ish, but not tight. Since you have it there it is too late, but the measurements should have been taken with a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. Tape held lightly and not pulling into your "fluff". Could also be that you gained weight in the last 3 months? Might be worth contacting them if it trait is tight in the chest and loose in the ass. Verify measurements and see what they say.

Measurements were taken as in the video. In jeans and t shirt and not pulling at all. I may have gained 1 or 2 kg in the last few months but that spread around the body wouldn't make a huge difference.

I've only tried on the drysuit wile wearing the seaskin undersuit. The undersuit itself feels very restrictive and just an odd cut, so perhaps that's why the whole combination feels tight. *shrug*

I think the combination of materials in the suit and undersuit are quite grippy/sticky for each other. I'm also not totally sold on their undersuit. I have the 250gsm without the extra allowance. One thing Seaskin recommend is spreading talc on all the exposed glue to try and reduce its 'grippiness'. I can't say for sure that it works but worth a try:

I think the combination of materials in the suit and undersuit are quite grippy/sticky for each other. I'm also not totally sold on their undersuit. I have the 250gsm without the extra allowance. One thing Seaskin recommend is spreading talc on all the exposed glue to try and reduce its 'grippiness'. I can't say for sure that it works but worth a try:
I over talc'd my suit after getting stuck in my 150. That extra talc found its way into my trigon pee valve and I can only assume helped it leak a bit. Took the valve apart and cleaned it to correct that issue. Now I just give a quick rub with talc in a sock.

I had the exact same feeling when I 1st got mine. Cut baggy and I even got the same colors, lol. I tried the 250 and could not believe how tight it felt. I think I had a lot of anxiety / excitement for trying a new suit. I thought I should know what I'm doing!

After a few dives it feels like 2nd nature. Just go slow and don't force anything and I think it'll feel more comfortable with time.

There also might be a break in period? It felt stiff to me in the beginning where now it doesn't feel as stiff. I fought to get in /out my 1st time and even ripped the brand new 250 undersuit at the shoulder with the zipper. I'm wasn't a fan of the 250, I went back to using my 4th E stuff.

I'm at the point now after ~ 20 dives on it that I can don / doff in no time at all without any help from anyone.

You guys talk your suit's seals before each dive? I'm thinking to use a soap water mix spray bottle instead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom