Second Hand Dive Computers.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought my first computer in 1999. I used it exclusively for maybe 10 years. Not long after that I sold it to a friend. He used it for a couple of years and then decided to get a different one. He sold it to a friend of his. I don't know this person, so I can't check easily. I assume it is still being used.

Does a dive computer need to be calibrated? Are there any issues with buying a second hand dive computer?

There's nothing to calibrate and if you don't plan on getting into decompression diving and such anytime soon, you don't really need the most expensive one. Used shouldn't be an issue (with usual caveats), but looking at listings at ebay.au you may be better off buying new mares puck or aqualung i300 from leisurepro and getting it shipped down under.

Not if you know what you're doing and you're familiar with the product you're buying. I prefer a particular dive computer manufactured by Oceanic, one of their earlier models circa 2006. When they show up on Ebay I snap them up- I now own 7 of them. They're air integrated wrist computers and I pay on average about $75 apiece and about the same for the transmitters of which I own 5. For a family of 3 divers that's more than enough for now but my point being it's a great computer and does everything it needs to do for a fraction of the cost of new. It works even better than the newest Oceanic VTX which many unhappy divers are trying to unload for a fraction of what they paid for it because the display is difficult to read under certain conditions.
VT3?

I’d rather have an air integrated console than a puck and an SPG

They are not that bulky when you consider you get rid of your SPG

With a gator retractor it clips to your D ring and can be seen in all positions

Used is fine if you know what you are buying.

Some of the old ones only do air.

If it needs a battery then be a little cautious since the seller can not prove it actually works. You could be buying a broken unit.

I have bought lots of used computers from eBay. Never an issue that did not get resolved.

If you ever take rescue, you will realize there are certain rescue scenarios that are much more manageable or ideal with a wrist computer so my bias is leaning towards a wrist computer. I also like the size and ease of taking back and forth to do logs and to reference. I like having a SPG even though I have a wrist computer with AI. No issues buying second hand.

@giffenk brought up a good point about batteries. Ask when it was last changed and how many dives since, and if it was user replaced or not. If user replaced and it is not designed to be user replaced, i would want a pressure test done before I purchased.

The Atom 2 came out in 2005

$75 is really cheap for a PPS transmitter, don't see them for that price with compatibility with Perdx AI and Teric

To clarify, I haven't purchased the transmitter alone for $75. I'm referring to the Vt Pro, and I've picked up a couple of wrist units with transmitters for $150 for both and have purchased a few wrist units alone for well under $100 which is how I came up with that transmitter cost which as you probably know is the same one sold with the newer Oceanic computers for as much as $400, but it's a matter of timing and you don't see them for sale very often anymore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom