Securing the tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a tank slip off my last time out. My BC is relatively new and prior to my last trip I always wet the strap before sceuring the tank. This time I saw that no one else was wetting the straps so I asked a DM if it was necessary. He said "not if you tighten it down well enough". Well, I guess, by definition, I did not "tighten it down well enough".

I think the real issue was that everyone else's equipment was much older.

In any case, I felt the tank start to slip early in the dive and when I finally got my buddy's attention, he was able to quickly tighten it up.

I'll tell you one thing though: when you have both your hands supporting the bottom of your tank behind your back, you won't have any extraneous arm movement affecting your bouyancy! :D

I agree with in_cavediver. The position of the tank will make a humungous affect on your trim. When I setup my gear I make sure that my tank is high enough so that I can reach back and turn my valves if needed. As far as tanks slipping out. I have had a tank slip out while u/w, was a pain in the rear end but my buddy was able to fix it. As the cases on land are usually caught before they slip out. But when they slip out the slowly work themselves out, so you can usually feel that something is happening.

No only will the change of a position of a tank change your trim, but the idea it is no big deal is ludicrous. Jump in with your valve off and see if it's "no big deal". And don't bother saying that won't happen. People do it every year, and some die from it.

My instructor told my class about an incident many years ago down on Florida. He saw a know-it-all instructor jump off the boat with his bc completely deflated--with no regs on his tanks.

My instructor told my class about an incident many years ago down on Florida. He saw a know-it-all instructor jump off the boat with his bc completely deflated--with no regs on his tanks.

Wow. No one can get out of their kit that fast! Now, imagine being tugged under by that same force if the tank slips out! Even with an inflated BC, it would still be a shock/

I have seen it happened before, but as long as the diver is calm, the problem is not difficult to address.

My BC has double strap, so I have less worry about the tank fall down. But I always try to tighten it properly until the tank doesn't move when I lift the BCD. What you have to watch out is the position of the remaining velcro, if at the end of the velcro something get in between, with some fraction it may rip the velcro out.

Some BCD has the tank strap in the high position, so you have to keep the tank low to avoid knocking your head with the first stage. So it's important to fit the bcd you want to buy, best is you try with the tank on.

We had a guy lose his on the night dive in our AOW, contributing to an already full-fledged cluster. I've often wondered about the divers in BCs with their tanks hanging down--there's no way they could ever reach their valves. Since many of them are head-high in the water it's not helping their trim.

I've never had any slippage when using two tank straps; new or old, wet or dry. I would expect bolted on doubles might be a little more secure, however.

My buddy's tank came loose on my very first dive after getting certified. It was so funny, I looked over because he was vertical in the water and saw his tank down around his knees. I was able to restrap it for him without too much difficulty. Not the best situation but not the worst.

SparticleBrane:

Well, it's nice to see that not all instructors are simply "checking the blocks." This guy gets bonus points for going "beyond the call" by demonstrating either proper ditching technique, or giving his students a real-world example of the benefits of taking the rescue diver course. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom