Seeking the elusive SDI Solo Diver course...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divin'Hoosier:
I hear it's being offered via independent study.

:rofl3:
I got a major chuckle out of that one!

Seriously, its the best way to learn.

I wish I had thought of the Photoshop route before I laid out the change for my Nitrox class. Will someone make me a Solo card?

FishDiver:
I got a major chuckle out of that one!

Seriously, its the best way to learn.

I wish I had thought of the Photoshop route before I laid out the change for my Nitrox class. Will someone make me a Solo card?

The Scubaboard Solo Card, eh? I can see it now: "This is to certify that the person named herein has been a member of the Solo Diver discussion forum for a period of not less than 2 weeks and is therefore fully qualified to plan, conduct and execute a dive without being encumbered by a useless, potentially hazardous, insta-buddy."

Yeah, I guess I could live with that. :wink:

derwoodwithasherwood:
The Scubaboard Solo Card, eh? I can see it now: "This is to certify that the person named herein has been a member of the Solo Diver discussion forum for a period of not less than 2 weeks and is therefore fully qualified to plan, conduct and execute a dive without being encumbered by a useless, potentially hazardous, insta-buddy."

Yeah, I guess I could live with that. :wink:
Where do I mail my dollar? :crafty:

Okay, just got back from Florida (where, strangely enough, I was diving solo off the boat with no questions asked :D), and the shop in Atlanta apparently used a creative definition of "tomorrow" -- they haven't called yet. I'll call them again, I suppose, when they're open.

(I'll have to call SDI again and comment on trying to get the class being like pulling teeth... which might not be the best idiom, considering how many dentists we have on the Florida trips from my LDS. :D)

[rant]Oh, and as for the "photoshop it" people, you're off-topic and not helping, so with all due respect, please leave this thread. Could I forge an SDI Solo Diver card or make one from my own imaginary agency? Of course I could. Making my own up would likely be of little use at the places I've been (they're looking specifically for the SDI card). As for forging an SDI card, I hope I'm not the only person with enough honor and honesty to dismiss that out of hand (without even commenting on the potential consequences). While I'd tip my hat at the entertaining audacity of someone who would make up their own agency and card, those who would forge an existing agency's card are quite the justification for the rest of us solo diving without them.[/rant]

Seems to be a little hypocritical to bash those who suggested the photoshop idea when you admit you are already diving solo and don't feel you really need it and that you only want the card for access.

captain:
Seems to be a little hypocritical to bash those who suggested the photoshop idea when you admit you are already diving solo and don't feel you really need it and that you only want the card for access.

Come on. Let's be fair here. By diving solo he's not breaking any laws nor is he being dishonest. The fact is that there are sites that require the card to dive solo. He wants to fairly and honestly complete the course to get the card so that he can dive those locations. He's also open to the fact that he might actually learn something to make him an even safer solo diver.

What a few have recommended is to just make yourself a card. That is both dishonest and deceptive.

I see nothing hypocritical in Clay Jar calling a spade a spade.

Divin'Hoosier:
Come on. Let's be fair here. By diving solo he's not breaking any laws nor is he being dishonest. The fact is that there are sites that require the card to dive solo. He wants to fairly and honestly complete the course to get the card so that he can dive those locations. He's also open to the fact that he might actually learn something to make him an even safer solo diver.

What a few have recommended is to just make yourself a card. That is both dishonest and deceptive.

I see nothing hypocritical in Clay Jar calling a spade a spade.

There is nothing that prevents me from starting my own certification agency, determining what the standards are and issuing a card. Other than LA County, YMCA and NAUI most other agencies were started by individuals looking to make a buck.

Divin'Hoosier:

While two "wrongs" don't make a "right", trying to force people to buy lousy training for the purpose of purchasing access isn't real honest either.

I also found the way SD magazine and SDI teamed up to market the course (with the series of articles on how dangerous the buddy system is), to be more than a little disingenuous.

LOL, a couple of the SDI solo instructors I know had never done a solo dive in their life until they mysteriously became SDI solo instructors. Doubles are one redundancy option permitted in the course but niether has ever used a set of doubles so they aren't where you would want to go for instruction. Both now always dive with a pony and the most hosed up equipment config you've ever seen. Nobody needs training like that.

BTW, I could get an SDI solo instructor card with a phone call and a few bucks. But...I wouldn't market the course or teach it and I sure wouldn't send any of my money to SDI so there you go. LOL

captain:
There is nothing that prevents me from starting my own certification agency, determining what the standards are and issuing a card. Other than LA County, YMCA and NAUI most other agencies were started by individuals looking to make a buck.

True, but what Clay Jar was reacting to was the comment to just forge an SDI card. That is clearly unethical and just downright wrong. That's an entirely different thing than me "creating" Divin'Hoosier Scuba Certification Agency, creating my own standards for a Solo Diving card (let's say 10 solo dives without dying) and then issuing myself a DSCA Solo Diver card. That's not dishonest, just kinda goofy.

MikeFerrara:
While two "wrongs" don't make a "right", trying to force people to buy lousy training for the purpose of purchasing access isn't real honest either.

I also found the way SD magazine and SDI teamed up to market the course (with the series of articles on how dangerous the buddy system is), to be more than a little disingenuous.

LOL, a couple of the SDI solo instructors I know had never done a solo dive in their life until they mysteriously became SDI solo instructors. Doubles are one redundancy option permitted in the course but niether has ever used a set of doubles so they aren't where you would want to go for instruction. Both now always dive with a pony and the most hosed up equipment config you've ever seen. Nobody needs training like that.

BTW, I could get an SDI solo instructor card with a phone call and a few bucks. But...I wouldn't market the course or teach it and I sure wouldn't send any of my money to SDI so there you go. LOL

The point I was making in support of CJ is that forging a valid agencies card is wrong. Period.

Now regarding your points, no one is forcing anyone to get any card. Certain sites have decided that they will not allow solo diving without proof of being able to do it safely. They've decided that the proof they'd like to see is the SDI card and maybe others if there are any. That's totally within their rights as owners of the site. Either dive with a buddy at those sites, get one of the solo certs they recognize and solo dive that site or don't dive that site at all. The decision is fully in the hands of the diver.

Now whether or not the SDI cert actually means you're qualified to solo dive is a much more subjective question and one I'm not qualified nor interested in addressing as I'm neither an instructor nor a solo diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom