Seeking the elusive SDI Solo Diver course...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took my SDI Solo Course at the Divi Flamingo Hotel in Bonaire a few months ago.

Best course I have taken to date. Also, the book which comes with the course "Solo Diving" by Robert Van Maier is the most intelligent and sensible literature I've ever read regarding Scuba.

Be advised though that I was just in Curacao and dove with the Dive Shop at the Marriott Hotel there. They did not allow "solo diving" because of "Insurance" reasons. I was able to solo dive at the Habitat Curacao (a dump by the way) however.

In any event take the course anyhow. For all intents and purposes the reality is that every dive we make is a "solo" dive.

Sy

But what if your buddy doesn't have any hands? Would it be acceptable to use a stamp instead of a signature? (I'm pretty sure both my AL19 and AL30 would be quite capable of leaving an impression on a dive log page. :biggrin:)

I dive solo yet no certification. I only do it places I am familiar with, and am completely redundant, a non-diver is on shore and can call my next dive if I don't dive my plan. My LDS here in Toledo can teach it and does it 1on1 w/ no extra costs. I am taking the class in the spring. Do I feel I need it? Honestly, NO. After observing a solo class recently I changed my mind. There is more prep in the class than I do on my average solo dive. But you should have the basics down good. The class seemed very informative and you plan the dives and dive the plan. There is plenty to take in for anyone. Diving a detailed plan is more fun than the basic plan, GO DOWN AND COME UP
PLAN THE DIVE/DIVE THE PLAN
JAY

Jay,

I think you are wise to take the course.

There are several techniques you will learn more about like doffing your BC underwater then redonning it. I know that many intro. courses teach this but I'll bet many people can't do it correctly.

It's a great course and worth every cent.

Sy

I dive solo yet no certification. I only do it places I am familiar with, and am completely redundant, a non-diver is on shore and can call my next dive if I don't dive my plan. My LDS here in Toledo can teach it and does it 1on1 w/ no extra costs. I am taking the class in the spring. Do I feel I need it? Honestly, NO. After observing a solo class recently I changed my mind. There is more prep in the class than I do on my average solo dive. But you should have the basics down good. The class seemed very informative and you plan the dives and dive the plan. There is plenty to take in for anyone. Diving a detailed plan is more fun than the basic plan, GO DOWN AND COME UP
PLAN THE DIVE/DIVE THE PLAN
JAY

I just finished the book. Three things are notable to me:

First, their terminology and procedures regarding gas consumption calculations are even more loopy than I could have suspected. If there wasn't enough insanity regarding SAC, RMV, and the rest, there will be if too many people read this one. :wink:

Second, for the most part, I can accept the book. I certainly have disputes with things here and there, such as the statement that you must use the same mix in your pony as your back gas, implying that if you dive nitrox and have an air pony, you're putting yourself at risk for DCI (sic). The pony sizes they suggest are also rather baffling (it felt almost like reading some of ScubaBoard's less intelligent pony threads there). Still, for the most part, the book was reasonable.

Finally, and this one was *by far* the book's most glaring weakness: The prosaic quality of the writing was all too often *pathetic*. Some sentences (if you would call them that) were so bad, they'd stand out even *here*. :) At times, I felt like going online to read YouTube comments in order to raise the average quality of my reading day. Executive Editor Brian Carney and Editor Steve Lewis could not have given much effort to the book, as I'm fairly certain they have at least the grammatical proficiency of a seventh-grader (and at many points, the book did not). I'm actually tempted to whip out a red pen and give the thing a thorough editing job before sending the corrected book back to SDI for their response.

Anyway, I would've liked to have more time spent explaining the "why" behind it all, but it wasn't quite "Cliff's Notes". Still, the writing was inexcusable in a commercially-published book. All told, I'd give it a solid "Meh."

Title: SDI Solo Diving Manual
ISBN: 1-931451-50-8
Item#: 210008
Published: © International Training 2007

My comment regarding the writing style would be that it was very clear and straightforward, non-obfuscatory and never indulging in needless and gratuitous polysyllabic or neologistic verbiage. Not the least bit pedantic too.

Maybe it's a comedown for you after reading James Joyce, Proust or similar blather but seriously, what do you expect Shakespeare and Hemingway? You say yourself that "Second, for the most part, I can accept the book". That's the most important point isn't it?

How many times have you read something that might have been stylistically impressive but "said" nothing worthwhile? This is after all a Scuba Forum not an English Literature Forum.

Inasmuch as you are so bent out of shape on this matter why don't you "whip out a red pen and give the thing a thorough editing job before sending the corrected book back to SDI for their response".

I happen to have think that there is more scuba "wisdom" in this little book than anything I have read to date.

Sy

I just finished the book. Three things are notable to me:

First, their terminology and procedures regarding gas consumption calculations are even more loopy than I could have suspected. If there wasn't enough insanity regarding SAC, RMV, and the rest, there will be if too many people read this one. :wink:

Second, for the most part, I can accept the book. I certainly have disputes with things here and there, such as the statement that you must use the same mix in your pony as your back gas, implying that if you dive nitrox and have an air pony, you're putting yourself at risk for DCI (sic). The pony sizes they suggest are also rather baffling (it felt almost like reading some of ScubaBoard's less intelligent pony threads there). Still, for the most part, the book was reasonable.

Finally, and this one was *by far* the book's most glaring weakness: The prosaic quality of the writing was all too often *pathetic*. Some sentences (if you would call them that) were so bad, they'd stand out even *here*. :) At times, I felt like going online to read YouTube comments in order to raise the average quality of my reading day. Executive Editor Brian Carney and Editor Steve Lewis could not have given much effort to the book, as I'm fairly certain they have at least the grammatical proficiency of a seventh-grader (and at many points, the book did not). I'm actually tempted to whip out a red pen and give the thing a thorough editing job before sending the corrected book back to SDI for their response.

Anyway, I would've liked to have more time spent explaining the "why" behind it all, but it wasn't quite "Cliff's Notes". Still, the writing was inexcusable in a commercially-published book. All told, I'd give it a solid "Meh."

Title: SDI Solo Diving Manual
ISBN: 1-931451-50-8
Item#: 210008
Published: © International Training 2007

My comment regarding the writing style would be that it was very clear and straightforward, non-obfuscatory and never indulging in needless and gratuitous polysyllabic or neologistic verbiage. Not the least bit pedantic too.
I certainly agree (although I'll say it without your pretentiousness) that there are not too many big or made-up words. I never suggested there were. I would, however, contest your assertion that the whole of the book is very clear and straightforward.

If you will, take a second look at the very first full page of the very first chapter. The last paragraph on page 13 reads as follows:
SDI Solo Diving Manual:
The second flaw in the buddy pair logic is that the ONLY perfect team is two people and this configuration is easy for newbie divers to work within right from dive one. This is simply untrue. A two-person team IS one of many configurations that CAN work but it is not intuitive to a newbie diver and requires skills that are by no means innate and that are seldom drilled thoroughly enough to stick in today's diver-training classes.
Taking the first sentence apart (just as you learned when diagramming sentences in grade school), we have: "The second flaw in the buddy pair logic is that the ONLY perfect team is two people". Next we split off the prepositional phrase, leaving: "The second flaw... is that the ONLY perfect team is two people".

Is this saying that the buddy pair logic is flawed because it contradicts a concept we know is true (i.e. that the only perfect team is two people, that is, a buddy pair)? That makes no sense, but that's what was written. Obviously, the intention is to say that the second flaw is *the belief that* the only perfect team is two people. It is that mistaken belief that is the flaw, but that is not what was written.

Unfortunately, this is only half of the problem. What is "the second flaw"? "The second flaw" is the belief that the only perfect team is two people, but according to the rest of this one sentence, "the second flaw" is *also* that "this configuration is easy for newbie divers to work within right from dive one." The belief that newbie divers can easily work in buddy teams is unrelated to the belief that the only perfect team is two people. The flawed belief that newbie divers can dive with each other with no consideration given to safety or self-sufficiency is a *third* flaw.

The second sentence is certainly clear and concise. :biggrin:

Now, as to the third sentence, *surely* you can make no claim that it is clear and concise. At the very least, it is a stunning example of a run-on sentence. Also, the skills should be "drilled in today's diver-training classes". They should not "stick in today's diver-training classes". The sentence in the book is a classic case of a misplaced modifier. You know what it *intended* to say, but it does not *actually* say what was intended.

So, if I edit the sentence just to address those two points, we have: "A two-person team IS one of many configurations that CAN work, but it is not intuitive to a newbie diver. It requires skills that are by no means innate and that are seldom drilled thoroughly enough in today's diver-training classes to stick." As you can hopefully see, splitting the sentence in two greatly improves the readability, even without rewriting it.

Maybe it's a comedown for you after reading James Joyce, Proust or similar blather but seriously, what do you expect Shakespeare and Hemingway?
There is no reason to turn a few comments about poor editorial quality into an ad hominem attack on my person and my reading preferences. For your information, while I enjoy high literature, I also quite enjoy cheap trade paperbacks and even internet fan fiction. That is no reason to give a poorly edited book a "get out of being reviewed free" card.

I don't expect perfection, although I am quite happy on those rare occasions I find it. I was rather surprised at the extent to which the prose of the book failed to measure up to the quality I've come to expect in diver training materials. The NAUI materials with which I am most familiar are likely far more revised than the rather new SDI Solo Diving Manual, and I certainly hope the latter will improve with time. As it stands, the prose is in rather dire need of some editorial affection.

You say yourself that "Second, for the most part, I can accept the book". That's the most important point isn't it?

How many times have you read something that might have been stylistically impressive but "said" nothing worthwhile? This is after all a Scuba Forum not an English Literature Forum.
As you quote, I was sufficiently pleased with the quality of the *content*. Unlike yourself, however, I feel strongly that the quality of the prose should aspire to the same heights as the quality of the content. Consider the extreme of the poster who writes in ALL CAPS, paying no heed to line breaks or paragraphs or even minimal punctuation. Do readers place the same weight on such posts as on those which are a pleasure to read?

Inasmuch as you are so bent out of shape on this matter why don't you "whip out a red pen and give the thing a thorough editing job before sending the corrected book back to SDI for their response".
I am deeply sorry that your lack of familiarity with the usual style in which substandard prose of a work is critiqued has led you to believe I am bent out of shape. That is most certainly not the case. I would direct you to some of my favorite reviews panning the works of certain best-selling writers, but alas, I fear they would not be appreciated.

May it suffice for me to say that my comment about editing the book and forwarding the results to SDI was said in fun. I meant to playfully pan the prose, but it was not simply an idle comment. I know with certainty that I can quite easily turn in a result of much higher quality than the current edition. (Much of the prose would be completely devoid of ink, but where ink would be found, it would be found in copious amounts.) Considering my appreciation of the content, I would consider it both an entertaining diversion for myself and a service to those who read any future editions.

I happen to have think that there is more scuba "wisdom" in this little book than anything I have read to date.
I do not dispute that being the case. I have made a point to use the word "prose" to indicate that I am commenting on the *form* of the writing and not on the *content*. I have found valuable insight on these forums in posts that are certainly not of high literary quality. Obviously, I would not expect *them* to be published without significant editing.

(Yes, yes... unless they were published in a "scrapbook"-style collection in which the online forum form is itself part of the content. I didn't think I needed to mention that, but just in case... :biggrin:)

I have read them both and was underwhelmed and actually don't follow those styles all that closely. The attempt to fit solo divers between the cover of a book is not going to work as well as it might with DIR/tech subjects--that is why we are solo. I don't buy into all of the redundancy and there are other aspects of both Solo Diving and the SDI manual that just don't fit with me. I guess I could see taking the course to get the card if that might be of use but the rest of it most of us have developed our own methods that might differ considerably from those SDI thinks a solo diver should adhere to. Who made them the expert--rhetorical question--not aimed at any person. Putting it in print does not make it good or right or best or correct.

N

Well, here we go. TiVo's programmed for the Packers and the rest of Sunday's football, gear's all loaded, and all logbooks (and cards) and paperwork is in the car. Guess it's time to head out.

(I'd say "wish me luck", but *luck* shouldn't be a part of solo diving, now, should it? :biggrin:)

I *did* answer one of the workbook questions with an answer contrary to that given in the book. I wrote in a full justification explaining why my answer is a better choice than the book's idea. That should show whether it's a "book learning" or *thinking* class, eh? (I don't mind if they can tell me why I'm wrong, of course, but it would require significant substantiation.)

Well, here we go. TiVo's programmed for the Packers and the rest of Sunday's football, gear's all loaded, and all logbooks (and cards) and paperwork is in the car. Guess it's time to head out.

(I'd say "wish me luck", but *luck* shouldn't be a part of solo diving, now, should it? :biggrin:)

I *did* answer one of the workbook questions with an answer contrary to that given in the book. I wrote in a full justification explaining why my answer is a better choice than the book's idea. That should show whether it's a "book learning" or *thinking* class, eh? (I don't mind if they can tell me why I'm wrong, of course, but it would require significant substantiation.)

Good luck!

As far as the book goes...it's just a book. You don't learn to be a proficient diver by reading a bunch of books IMHO. You learn to dive from other divers and by putting into practice the pieces you believe will best meet your needs. The class is not about the book it's about working with a qualified person and learning from their experience and knowledge. That said, I hope your instructor is good...that's what will make or break the course.

I don't buy into all of the redundancy and there are other aspects of both Solo Diving and the SDI manual that just don't fit with me.

Well, I hope you're diving within the range you can do a CESA before sucking in a breath-full of water...and staying well within NDL. If not you really should rethink that philosophy. I'd hate to hear about you on the "Passings" forum as being found drown, or on the surface coughing up your lungs. :no

I feel narced just reading that paragraph from the manual. Inexcusably bad writing for instruction involving a life and/or death procedural practice.
Sure, the instructor trumps agency/book, but it's a MANUAL for cripes sake. We approached the double negatives universe there pretty consistently.
I can no longer diagram sentences accurately but I know when I can't understand what the hell the manual is saying because it's not sure what it's saying if you know what I'm saying! :)

I also get narced when posters write long posts without any indentation. Drives me nuts.
My eyes aren't as young as they used to be. Even if they don't consistently know when to indent, (including me) at least breaking up the paragraphs is so......appreciated.

I carry air (21%) in my pony. If I should ever lose buoyancy on nitrox and descend past my 1.6 MOD, I want the option of going to air for a bail out or a little time to fix the problem.

Nemrod, I enjoy and appreciate your posts and have learned a lot from them, but your choice of no redundancy is a surprise to me. Can you elaborate why you solo dive without it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom