Seriously Thinking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

naturewalker36:
I Have Been Thinking Last Couple Of Months On Learning To Cave Dive. I Have Talked Myself Into It And Out Of It . How Does One Know If This Is For Them . I Do Understand The Risks . Any Thoughts Or Comments Would Be Greatfull .

Brother:

If you aren't 100% sure - don't do it until you are. Or maybe just try a cavern class.

Jim Wyatt
Quitman Lodge #106
www.cavediveflorida.com

Capt Jim Wyatt:
Brother:

If you aren't 100% sure - don't do it until you are. Or maybe just try a cavern class.

Jim Wyatt
Quitman Lodge #106
www.cavediveflorida.com

But, But , But, Jim. I wasn't 100% sure, I would like it, when I came to visit you! I was a definate fence sitter. Fully 50% of the friends I had talked to, who had taken cavern or cave, thought it was great training but didn't want to continue. I wanted to get a "taste" and see which side of the fence I would fall. So, I signed up for a Cavern Class with Jim. And I'll be going back for more.

Jim is an absolutely great person and instructor. I can easily recommend him to anyone who is interested.

Cheers,
Fred

I took my Cavern class about 2 month's ago with Johnny Richards to see if I would like it. Great Instructor. Now, I can't wait to get back to do more.

I think Jim Wyatt gave sound advice.

Doing a cavern class first seems like a good idea.

If you like it buy a BP/Wings,a drysuit and learn to dive doubles.

Then take the Cave Course.

Now I am fully aware that you can do intro level cave dives in a wetsuit and single tank but I never seem to actually see anybody cave diving that way.

Another recommendation to take a cavern course. That's how I got into it. When I took my cavern course, I wasn't really into the whole cave diving thing. My wife was the one who wanted to cave dive because of some Wes Skiles photos she saw in a magazine. I just wanted to dive wrecks. Well, our last cavern dive was into Devil's Ear and I got hooked. And hooked bad! 6 months later we were back doing Intro. And 7 months after that we completed Cave. Several tens of thousands dollars later...

BTW, we're moving to N. Florida in less than 2 weeks to be closer to the caves. How's that for someone who wasn't sure...

ianr33:
You are a lucky man ! Most people I know had to wage a long campaign to get their wives to LET them go cave diving.

Me too, it was my wifes idea. She had done a little dry caving and though UW caves would be just the ticket.

To this day, our gas consumption is pretty close. I do a bit better with depth and she does a bit better in small tight nasty caves. Nothing bothers her and I'm the one who turns most of our cave dives. If it were up to her we'd be sidemount and crawling through all those nasty, muddy but unexplored sumps that are all over Kentucky.

Give me Florida or Missouri!

Yeah, it's kind of nice. Really don't have to beg for gear. She understands what's needed and why. In fact, when we eventually buy scooters, she wants 2...for herself!

And like Mike, our gas consumption is pretty close, in caves. I like the small tight nasties, but my wife is now starting to appreciate them. In fact, our next purchase is going to be sidemount rigs!

Man I envy you guys..............my wife gets claustrophobic just thinking of a mask. So I am 'that guy who also lives here' during the weekend when I go caving....... Some women just don't understand :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom