shallow solo question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMHeimer

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Dartmouth,NS,Canada(Eastern Passage-Atlantic)
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've often mentioned that my personal rule for solo diving is no deeper than 30', though on rare occasions I have broken that rule by 10 feet or so. Most of my total dives are like this. I usually dive sites I know well, and if a new site, I enquire and use caution. I phone/text my wife after each dive. My biggest concern is entanglement, so I steer way clear of anything sketchy--even swim well over eel (sea) grass that's 8 feet high. Other than obvious medical situations, like heart attack or fainting,etc., what other concerns/redundancies (if any) should I have? Obviously a 30+ foot CESA is a piece of cake, and I look at it as a little more dangerous than solo snorkelling down 20 feet, though with snorkel you have no air down there... There is not much talk of shallow solo diving on SB. Appreciate tips.

I consider solo snorkeling to 20' much more dangerous due to the potential to shallow water blackout.

I concur with the fear of entanglement, that is an issue mitigated by a generous gas reserve (time solves most problems). I don't worry about depth based on that, until I am so deep I don't have time (gas) to deal with issues.

Though a 30' CSEA is a "piece of cake" for you I'd still take an independant, redundant air source. A 6cf would be more than enough. It's tiny and inexpensive and way more bang for the buck than a spare air. You can put together a really compact pony for cheap by purchasing from the right sources. PM me if you want details.

Though a 30' CSEA is a "piece of cake" for you I'd still take an independant, redundant air source. A 6cf would be more than enough. It's tiny and inexpensive and way more bang for the buck than a spare air. You can put together a really compact pony for cheap by purchasing from the right sources. PM me if you want details.

Kharon,

I don't think you'll get consensus for your approach. For example, I personally would NOT ordinarily consider taking a redundant air source with me if I am doing an open water solo dive to a max depth of 30 fsw/ffw in a known benign environment (where there's very little threat of overhead boat traffic, etc.)--despite what training agencies are apparently currently teaching in their newly offered solo diver certification courses.

For this kind of dive, I strive to dive the simplest, most minimal, safe kit I can--the real fun of this kind of dive (for me).

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Entanglement is a serious issue where I do most of my solo diving: New Jersey inlets and jetties. The worst entanglements are from broken off fishing lines, frequently the new superbraids or heavy monofilament. Some have hooks on one end. I carry two dive knives, one medium sized on my leg, and a smaller one on my arm. Both are blunt tipped, with line cutter notches and saw backs, and both are very sharp. I also have a set of shears mounted on my spg hose, and one of those super line cutters that look like a small credit card on a vest mounted spool. I also have a tiny supersharp stiletto on one wrist attached to the bottom of my computer. This is more for the possibilities that may arise when diving from resort head boats with groups of strangers. I don't bring the computer on shallow solo dives.

In some places I get entangled so frequently it's no big deal. Preparation and practice are vital. You have to be able to reach your line cutters effortlessly, automatically, and always have a backup.

I have a 40 ft max depth in theory, but sometimes I exceed it. I'm usually in less than 25 feet. Boats are always a hazard, so I stay close to structure. Big rocks that break the surface keep most boats away, and unless it's drifting or a sailboat, you can hear them coming. I would not dive, solo or not, where boats pass overhead with any frequency. I saw the aftermath of an entanglement with a moving boat's fishing lines. Not pretty. Surfacing in places where powerboats zip around is asking for trouble.

Thanks. I bring one knife just in case. On my my dives here in NS (majority of my total) I've never seen fishing line and almost never a boat. For my dives in the NY area and FL I may rethink this, though I've rarely seen these things at those sites.

When I was living in Arkansas I did a LOT of solo dives and kept it between 30-45', had no redundant air supply which was sort of stupid on my part. Since I've moved to Florida and mostly dive in state parks they won't let you solo dive, but I have learned a TON since living in the middle of tech/cave central... I LOVE side mount diving and that means redundant air supply.... If your going to dive solo.... redundant air is NEVER a bad thing... Can't wait to take my side mount rig to Beaver lake and see what kind of looks I get...
I'm not sure what your reason for diving solo are, but mine was always a lack of dive buddies.... and I was NOT going to waste a two hour drive to the lake....

Tim

Addendum to my op--For the type of shallow 30' dives I described, how beneficial would the solo (or "self reliant") course be? I don't mean for general dive safety, but specifically for safety on these shallow solo dives. Nobody offers the course (to my knowledge) for a long ways from here anyway, but if I came across one on travels, would it be worth the money?

Thanks. I bring one knife just in case. On my my dives here in NS (majority of my total) I've never seen fishing line and almost never a boat. For my dives in the NY area and FL I may rethink this, though I've rarely seen these things at those sites.

Where are you diving in the ocean in Florida without fishing line or boat traffic?

Rx7diver is correct, you will not find a consensus. Afterall, we're solo all divers and we do it our own way. :D

Personally I do not consider CESA to be a viable option for solo diving. Ever. For any depth.

I always have 2 of everything.
2 cylinders
2 first/2nd stage regulators.
2 buoyancy devices
2 masks
2 cutting devices
2 compasses
etc.

For shallow solo, I'd carry a slung AL40. I'd use a smaller cylinder but it's filled with Argon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom