Shark attack response

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharks are predators that have to (potentially) attack every meal they ever want to eat. The odds are that if one has to attack things that often one will eventually sustain an injury. An injury for a predator can easily become fatal due to either the reduced ability to capture prey or becoming victims of predation themselves. Sharks counter these poor survival odds by being opportunistic, attacking unsuspecting, weak, dying or dead prey.

Hans Haas used to charge advancing sharks and shout at them which apparently worked (most) of the time. The message to convey seems to be that you are aware of their presence and if they wish to attack it will cost them. Usually they won't want to pay the price.

Even with all that a shark may occasionally override its inhibitions for direct confrontation if they are hungry enough as poor Tim Treadwell discovered with his grizzlies.

Sharks are not our friends or long lost brethern and they do not really want to commune with us. It is just that we are not their usual prey and most of the time they are too timid and/or not hungry enough to risk a direct attack.

I don't dwell on running into sharks but have posted more than once that I wish only to see them on Discovery Channel. Out of curiousity, is it not odd that there is no effective weapon (with safety catch, of course) on the market that would deter, neutralize, or even kill an attacking shark? This sounds offensive to those who like swimming with these admittedly magnificent creatures, especially as such a weapon would sometimes be used unnecessarily. Even those times would be a drop in the bucket compared to the fishing industrys' damage to sharks. At any rate, if such a weapon becomes available, count me in.

Well, you can always carry one of those electronic "shark be gone" gizmos and a Glock. Outside of a submarine, that's probably as good as you're going to get.

1. Assuming shark bites them and doesn't let go immediately, then fight shark off with punches to the eyes and gill area if able. You are correct that the attack may be over before you can actually respond.
2. After shark lets go...
a. If buddy is still conscious after attack, make sure they have their regulator in their mouth (shaking by shark may have knocked it out).
b. If buddy is not conscious and regulator is in their mouth put your hand over it to hold it in during accent.
c. If buddy is not conscious and regulator is out of their mouth keep your octo right in front of their mouth during accent if possible. That way if they regain consciousness it will be immediately available.
3. Assist buddy with an immediate emergency ascent to surface, as controlled as possible. Depending on extent of the injuries you will need to make an immediate judgment call on this one. Drop weight belts and both do a buoyant ascent, or emergency swimming helping your buddy? Depends on if buddy going to bleed out trying to do a controlled accent to keep him /her from also having a DCS injury to complicate matters.
4. Keep lookout for shark. -- fight off again as necessary...
5. Once on surface, inflate both your and buddy's BC's for positive buoyancy, drop weight belts if needed. ... Scream like hell for assistance and start toward boat/shore
6. Work on stopping bleeding as soon as possible.
7. Keep lookout for shark… fight off again as necessary.

:doctor: 8. GTFOotWater

When Peter Benchley published "JAWS", my Mom bought me a very compact high tech bang stick. You'll see it in some of the pics I posted on threads.

It was about 2ft long with band like a pole spear. It had no projectile and no safety pin. The charge was inserted into the tip (retained by friction), and on contact with the beast, the expanding gasses would would terminate the monster.

When I was on the parental units' boat, I always carried at least 6 rounds.

Carry a picture of "Snooki" from "The Jersey Shore" TV show and hold it up when you see a shark.

That will scare them away!

fact is..
all you really need is a camera.

Seen nothing but nurse sharks when I have mine.

I have been diving with sharks for the last 4 yrs ever since my first encounter when diving in the Bahamas. Here is a link to a DAN article which gives some basic tips. Divers Alert Network : Alert Diver Articles This has also been discussed in the Shark Forum where many of our shark experts and divers gave some good information on this topic. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/shark-forum/292392-fear-jaws.html Shark encounters on regular recreational dive can be very rare, or the shark was just never seen by you. There are alot of dangerous sea life out there...some extemely small that can cause more harm than a shark. Understanding predatory behavior will give you an edge in any situation, be it on land or in the water. Just know, if a shark passes you by during a dive, or just hangs around, enjoy every second of it. You are not on their menu. They are amazing and makes for a great conversation after the dive. They are not to be feared, but like any predator, you are in their home, respect them and they usually respect you. There are always exceptions, but it is a very rare event.

Happy diving with my shark beauties!
Carolyn:shark2:

Sunday I was taking a picture and caught a movement out of the corner of my eye (tri-view mask) I turned just in time to see a small spiny dogfish swimming away from me after "checking" me out. If that had been a curious 14' GW well......I guess OH Shoot! would have been my response.

LIVES4SHARKS:
There are alot of dangerous sea life out there...some extemely small that can cause more harm than a shark.

Since sharks can cripple us for life and sharks can kill us, I'm curious, what can cause more harm than this and what would it be?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom