Shark attack response

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, first to answer your post: *if* they're attacking you, go for the gills or eyes.

More to the point, however, is that shark attack is *SO* far down on the list of life threatening issues you're likely to face. Way below panic, gear setup issues, and out of air situations. Way, way, below getting in an automobile accident on the way to the dive site. Dieing from a shark attack even falls below being trampled to death by elephants (really!). Check out the shark attack file (International Shark Attack File) for world wide statistics on shark attacks.

I've been up close and personal with several bull sharks, a tiger shark, and oodles of other species and, not once, have I been threatened. Sharks are beautiful and curious and, in many cases (like the great white), intelligent. Savor your time with them.

If this really _is_ an issue that you're having a hard time getting over, you might consider trying a non-feed shark dive. Try to gain an appreciation for these wonderful creatures and get some perspective regarding the true level of danger they bring to the party.

I hope this helps...

Since sharks can cripple us for life and sharks can kill us, I'm curious, what can cause more harm than this and what would it be?

I think he probably meant small stinging stuff- textile cones, maybe stonefish, etc. Stuff that can actually be fatal. My thoughts about the small stuff is that if I'm careful I can avoid it. Whereas an aggressive shark may put me in a position where there is little I can do. Kind of like being in a plane that's going down--They say there's way less chance of that happening than getting into a car accident, but with the car you at least feel that you can do something. In the plane, like with the shark, you're probably pretty helpless, regardless of the tiny chance it could happen.

Code Monkey:
Dieing <sic> from a shark attack even falls below being trampled to death by elephants (really!).

Dying -- it's early, here.

For folks diving?

I think you're missing the point, here, Walter. Now the OP *is* in Florida, the shark attack capitol of the world so there's more concern, there, than might otherwise be warranted. That said, there's more deaths by gator attack in Florida than by shark attack. Drowning is *way* more likely than death by shark.

TMHeimer:
I think he probably meant small stinging stuff- textile cones, maybe stonefish, etc. Stuff that can actually be fatal.

Maybe that's what she meant, but even so, how can dying from "small stinging stuff" be considered to "cause more harm" than dying from a shark attack?

One thing that always astounds me on these threads are the people that start talking about how intelligent sharks are. Whether you're looking at brain/body mass ratios or EQ's sharks barely register and they don't come anywhere near animals like horses, dogs or rats, much less dolphins or chimps.

Sure they have some amazing sensory abilities, but there doesn't seem to be much evidence at all for learning or problem solving skills.

One thing that always astounds me on these threads are the people that start talking about how intelligent sharks are. Whether you're looking at brain/body mass ratios or EQ's sharks barely register and they don't come anywhere near animals like horses, dogs or rats, much less dolphins or chimps.

Sure they have some amazing sensory abilities, but there doesn't seem to be much evidence at all for learning or problem solving skills.

Try diving with great whites. Watch them work the problem of getting the tuna off the line; they try different things each time and they get progressively more creative in their approach. Sometimes they team hunt -- one shark hangs close enough to the prey to catch their attention while another shark comes at them from below. Just look into their eyes and you can see it. There's real problem solving there and there's real intelligence.

Code Monkey:
I think you're missing the point, here, Walter.

Oh, I got the point. Your point is shark attacks are extremely rare. Saying one is more likely to be trampled by elephants is misleading. Are more people killed by elephants than by sharks? Probably, but those folks are in areas where they encounter elephants. A diver who never goes to areas where elephants are found (Africa, Asia, zoos, circuses, etc.) is more likely to be killed by sharks. The chances are still extremely small, but since no elephants are cruising the reefs around Florida...

Oh, I got the point. Your point is shark attacks are extremely rare. Saying one is more likely to be trampled by elephants is misleading. Are more people killed by elephants than by sharks? Probably, but those folks are in areas where they encounter elephants. A diver who never goes to areas where elephants are found (Africa, Asia, zoos, circuses, etc.) is more likely to be killed by sharks. The chances are still extremely small, but since no elephants are cruising the reefs around Florida...

Yes, I agree with all you say Walter. Another example is more people die from dog bites. But how many people in the world are near aggressive dogs at a given time as compared to how many people worldwide are even in the water? These statistics may all have some truth to them, but the fear of sharks is that there isn't much you can do in a bad situation. People simply don't care about the odds, they just dread such a situation.

How not to get attacked by sharks???? Dont spear a fish right in front of them, and dont feed em. As for how to fend them off, tuck your head between your legs and kiss your butt goodbye.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom