Shearwater coming out with new DC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well crap! I just opened my Christmas gift and it was a brand new Petrel 2, now I come here and read this. Not that I'm disappointed, I always have that kind of luck with technology.

Reactions: Jax
Well crap! I just opened my Christmas gift and it was a brand new Petrel 2, now I come here and read this. Not that I'm disappointed, I always have that kind of luck with technology.

Dec. 26 it's not just Boxing Day but exchange day :).

Last edited:

Aww, no worries - it is just a little smaller but the same great Shearwater. :hugs:

Here are readable images of the sell sheet, comparing the new Shearwater Perdix and Petrel:

http://www.gidivestore.com/manuals/Perdix%20Sell%20Sheet.pdf

Differences are a 2.2" screen that is brighter than Petrel's 2.4", Perdix lasts 45h using an alkaline battery instead of Petrel's 35h, and is rated to 850ft instead of Petrel's 984. Note also the Perdix is .34lbs instead of Petrel's .48, and is smaller/curvier.

Merry Christmas,

John

Last edited:
If I was buying my first SW I'd probably go with the Perdix but I don't see anything so far that tempts me to update.

I still think the Predator is the best computer that Shearwater has made, so this is a non-starter for me, but it's nice to see that Shearwater is always advancing. Since the vast majority of divers aren't using external PO2 monitoring, it makes sense to make a smaller, more streamlined form factor.

The Petrel case is machined, which limits some of the case design options when compared to the molded Perdix case. The Perdix case is lower profile with a more contoured shape that is form fitting to the wrist.

Between that & it being a new release, I did a little online searching hoping...in vain. Though I tend to think of myself as a function-over-form kind of guy, something about the Shearwater line has troubled me.

Those silver-colored screws on the face of it, where the computer body sticks out. Minor aesthetic detail though it be, seems like it'd knock some of the ugly off to paint those tiny screw heads black to match the body.

I'm pretty far from a fashionista outlook on the world, but it still elicits an 'ugh' response.

Richard.

... something about the Shearwater line has troubled me.

Those silver-colored screws on the face of it, where the computer body sticks out. ...//... it still elicits an 'ugh' response.
:D

Not to this engineer. I've never been happier after buying a DC and I have a bunch of different manufacturers' wares. The Petrel 2 is a bit biggish for many, but in cold water the smaller Perdix doesn't really excite me.

I think that the screws were an intentional effort to look tech rather than rec. I like them because one of these years, I'll be in there for a really good look.

I agree that it all comes down to personal taste concerning form and function.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom