Shearwater coming out with new DC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The exposed screws do keep the faceplate from rubbing if placed face down on a table or bench. Now when I put two Petrels face to face the screws did screw up the protective film on my pair of Petrels.

I agree completely.

Their “I need this” appeal lies in totally understanding the root concept of a user interface, big bright displays, and a controlled amount of display customization. I also appreciate how they balance obsolescence with product improvement. Free software upgrades to get new features. Costs them next to nothing, retaining me as a loyal customer.

@Shearwater:

I just finished slogging through the logical morass of linking the wife’s fitbit to Windows 10 on her laptop. “Do you want to cancel?” Options: Continue and Cancel. Cancel cancelling was the correct choice. Landed on one screen that didn’t allow me to back out. NO! I don’t want to be forced to start a new account with one of three providers. Don’t get me started…

From Shearwater’s site:
“Armed with the belief that divers want a simple intuitive user interface previously unavailable in dive computers and rebreather control systems, the earliest focus was on the design of a menu structure that made sense to the user.”

Sent design views to SP years ago with exactly this approach, suggestions for an intuitive rec DC for PHOTOGRAPHERS. Waste of electrons talking to those guys.

Doing it right. Years ago, a company that had gone through many mergers and found themselves owning a horridly complex line of technical products. I used several of their products and attended a training courses at their HQ. On one trip, they invited me to go through website testing for a free meal at a local restaurant. (EMA Design Automation - Your Trusted Design Partner) Camera watched my eyes and cursor moves were recorded. “How would you find this?” OK, now find this… Endless. Last challenge was something that didn’t exist. Where and when did I give up? Brilliant, I learned much from them. Quizzed the team afterwards. They employed a full-time useability team because it was cost effective for them.

Couple of years later had to program a podium for one of my old company’s auditoriums. Piece of cake. But if I did it myself, then you would have to think like an engineer to find it easy while brain-locked with a couple hundred people staring at you. Remembered my useability lessons.

Grabbed people walking through the lobby and asked them to do a presentation. “What? I don’t know how to do that!” Yes, this is exactly why I need you. Just try your best and let me watch… Auditorium project was a massive success, the podium’s touch screen always offered a choice to keep you going. And that was the secret, the first time that you find yourself not knowing what to do next, your brain shuts down. Stop, Think, Act. You are now in recovery mode and everybody sees it. Contrast that with just knowing in your heart that something good will always be on the next screen.

Obviously, I spent all this time writing and recounting this for Shearwater. Free input. I'm just one happy user’s input, a datum, nothing more than that.

Yes, rec. Please add no whining recovery from light deco. An option for BIG alphanumerics.

It would be awesome.

If Shearwater can produce a pure recreational computer at HALF the cost and given their reputation and track record. It will wipe the floor with probably every single rec computer in the market.
Even with the Petrel 2 its already starting to happen. Before mine, I might see one on the recreational dive trips. I got mine, now its typically 1 or 2 on the boat. This last trip, 3 to 4 or more depending on the number of divers. I finally realized I need to label mine after sorting through the Petrel's in the rinse bin on the boat trying to find mine.

There is a Facebook post with a video of the crew/regulars giving the boat Captain a Petrel for Christmas.

so i don't see any "real" difference with functionality between the Perdix and Petrel. Perdix seems to be a Petrel that is wearing a new suit. So i'll hang on to my Petrel before i start salivating over a new DC. I saw the Ration DC at DEMA. Now that DC seems to be a new generation of functionality for a DC.

I wouldn't take issue with the screws much if they'd color them black to match the exterior. Right now they've got that 'bug on the windshield' eye sore effect.

Watching the Petrel make inroads into the rec. market is interesting in light of the at times contentious discussion from another thread, on the idea of adding an A.I. option to the Petrel to make it more appealing to more rec. users. The idea was that tec. & other 'I don't want A.I.' divers could buy without the transmitter and everybody would be happy.

Everybody wasn't happy. I believe the logic went something like this:

1.) If you build additional 'unnecessary' tech. into a device, you add complexity and thus additional theoretical failure points. So in theory an 'A.I. ready' Petrel would have added circuitry that might raise the risk of failure on tec. dive, for example. Some of us weren't convinced that was a practically significant issue for the real world...

2.) It would add cost (but making it an option via transmitter & benefits of economy of scale with larger sales made this uncertain).

3.) Providing A.I. would entail diverting the focus of at least some Shearwater designers from sole devotion to the wants & needs of the tec. diving community.

Shearwater indicated it's not planning to make an A.I. option, so it's a bit of a moot point, but...is 3.), above, not still a potential issue if the Petrel, Perdix & future generations push into the recreational market? It may be rec. community features/wants/needs other than A.I. (at least for a while) that exert pressure to impact design, but the issue is still there.

All the more interesting since some divers on the forum have advised people not planning to enter tec. to get Shearwater computers. Raising the question of to what extent it's desirable for Shearwater to penetrate the rec. diving community. I don't know, but enjoy watching it unfold.

Richard.

...//... Raising the question of to what extent it's desirable for Shearwater to penetrate the rec. diving community. I don't know, but enjoy watching it unfold.
Same.

I believe that there is a large niche market of rec divers that are comfortable straddling the NDL line. Either "for real" or due to adding large amounts of conservatism.

If Shearwater can produce a pure recreational computer at HALF the cost and given their reputation and track record. It will wipe the floor with probably every single rec computer in the market.

they would probably have to use a cheaper housing, screen, and outsource to taiwan to get the cost down that much. at that point, a used petrel/predator is a better option.

Shearwater needs to stay the computer for the thinking diver. Not for the fly the computer mindlessly crowd. That's one of the things that sets them apart. A computer for divers, by divers, with simple and intuitive functionality, and a manual not written by lawyers that anyone can understand.

There are enough paperweights out there with AI and stupid audible alarms. The look of them is another thing that attracted me to them. They look like they can take anything a diver can dish out and still work as intended. I don't want some dinky looking dainty computer.

Look at the Eon steel. To me it's ugly and badly proportioned. You need a cable to hook it to your desktop. Information on upgrades is as clear as mud. No VPM option with it. Not to mention it's $300 plus more than the Petrel. Support? Yeah they are really known for that.

Back
Top Bottom